blood test for low test check up

1. Registered User

blood test for low test check up

I am going to annual check up this Tue. I've had typical low test symptoms for 2 years and it's been getting worse lately so I want to get some boold test to see if my test is low. Btw, I am 40 years old.

To diagnose whether my symptoms are related to low test, what kind of blood test do I need?

I've read some of the postings in this board and lt looks like I need more than just total test values. Some of postings suggest a lot of testing but I am not sure if I can convience my doctor to do extensive testing to start with. Hence, I need minimum number of blood tests that can give some clue on my symptoms.

I asked doctor to test for low test symptoms while I was visiting for regular annual check up two years ago. She wasn't eager to do the testing and saying that most likely I don't need it since I am so young (I was 38 at that time) to have problem like that. I inisist and she ordered the testing but it turned out that she only ordered for Total test values.

I thought doctors know what they are doing but I am not really sure after that incident. Can anyone let me know what what kind of blood test do I need to do for low test? Beside total values, I know I need to check for Free or bioavailable test (btw, are these two -free and bioavailable- sort of same thing? ) . Are there some other blood tests do I need to do help diagnose my problem? If you can also tell me why these additional tests are needed, that will help my doctor to convince that I need these test as well. Thx!

2. Registered User

Yeah I tried to get tested for that an my doc said the same.
  3. Registered User

read the male anti aging medicine forum. Great advise, information... I learned alot there
    •   

4. Registered User

i have been fighting low test levels since i was 27yrs old im 30 now..and its starting to very slowy come back...have your e2,LH,and FSH check..thats what i do..my LH was 2 now its 5..fsh was.07 now its 1.5 still very low but gaining..goin to do another cycle of nolva and clomid to see if this helps my numbers...if not then they are goin to put me on test
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  230 lbs.

In my experience with low test , I thought it was my ankylosing spondylitis giving me these symptoms , which in a way it was , but I just told my doc i was just too damn tired and my sex life was never consistant , he just did a blood panel and saw my free test was at 200 i guess it was supposed to be at least 300ish to 900ish for a 34 yo male . If you dont like the way your doc is acting towards your concerns find another one.I was put on testim gel for 2 months and my #s went to 900 test , but unfortunately my insurance didnt pay for all of it so i was left shelling out 200 a month for the test, so my doc prescribed me 10 needles and a bottle of test cyp for 10 months it cost me nothing . My doctor was very intersted in my concerns and i dont have to insist on things for him to check on .
  6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by numbnutz View Post
    In my experience with low test , I thought it was my ankylosing spondylitis giving me these symptoms , which in a way it was , but I just told my doc i was just too damn tired and my sex life was never consistant , he just did a blood panel and saw my free test was at 200 i guess it was supposed to be at least 300ish to 900ish for a 34 yo male . If you dont like the way your doc is acting towards your concerns find another one.I was put on testim gel for 2 months and my #s went to 900 test , but unfortunately my insurance didnt pay for all of it so i was left shelling out 200 a month for the test, so my doc prescribed me 10 needles and a bottle of test cyp for 10 months it cost me nothing . My doctor was very intersted in my concerns and i dont have to insist on things for him to check on .
    whats your t-levels now?
  7. Registered User

I was thinking the same thing, but I really didn't see a direct answer to your question...

I need to know what to ask for when going to get tested.

What is the blood panel called.... Is it just a complete blood workup or is it several different blood panels?

Just need to be able so say I need to get an xyz blood panel workup and I want to make sure it covers all the bases to then turn over to a Doc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by young92117 View Post
    I am going to annual check up this Tue. I've had typical low test symptoms for 2 years and it's been getting worse lately so I want to get some boold test to see if my test is low. Btw, I am 40 years old.

To diagnose whether my symptoms are related to low test, what kind of blood test do I need?

I've read some of the postings in this board and lt looks like I need more than just total test values. Some of postings suggest a lot of testing but I am not sure if I can convience my doctor to do extensive testing to start with. Hence, I need minimum number of blood tests that can give some clue on my symptoms.

I asked doctor to test for low test symptoms while I was visiting for regular annual check up two years ago. She wasn't eager to do the testing and saying that most likely I don't need it since I am so young (I was 38 at that time) to have problem like that. I inisist and she ordered the testing but it turned out that she only ordered for Total test values.

I thought doctors know what they are doing but I am not really sure after that incident. Can anyone let me know what what kind of blood test do I need to do for low test? Beside total values, I know I need to check for Free or bioavailable test (btw, are these two -free and bioavailable- sort of same thing? ) . Are there some other blood tests do I need to do help diagnose my problem? If you can also tell me why these additional tests are needed, that will help my doctor to convince that I need these test as well. Thx!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help me understand my blood test results - Low Test and Low Prolactin
    By jami20 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 11:25 AM
  2. Advice pleaes test well below my last blood test range
    By mackmang in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 09:42 AM
  3. Help with blood test (high estradiol, normal test)
    By diablosho in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 07:50 AM
  4. Blood test tomorrow. What to check?
    By n87 in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 09:39 PM