Muscle Cramps

TL01

TL01

Awards
I usually workout in the morning. I've noticed when I workout really hard, that evening whatever muscle group I've worked cramps easily with use. I've never really had this problem before. I'm now 44 and have been working out for about 10 years.

currently taking;
Multivitamin
Antioxidants
glucosamine
flaxseed

I tried increasing sodium intake, Potassium (bananas) and increasing water intake. Are there any ideas of possible causes and probable solutions? :dunno:

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i have noticed more cramping as i get older.mostly one muscle group (like my calfs)will start cramping and every time i work them it get worse.i will take a week are so off on that group.then i am mostly good for awhile.then it will be my back or my forearms.i do not know if this helps but getting old sucks and i think it takes longer to recover.(unless you get JOJ).

TL01

TL01

Awards
These cramps are acute and may last for about 2 -4 minutes. I'm good after that until I use that muscle group again. The next morning i'm fine.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
you need to rest that muscle group for a couple weeks when is the last time you just took a week are 2 off period

TL01

TL01

Awards
It's probably been about 3 or 4 months since my last week break.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i should take a week off see how thing are after that.i hate taking time off but some times you just need to . i still do some lite cardo (bike core training row machine) just keep it lite.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
i should take a week off see how thing are after that.i hate taking time off but some times you just need to . i still do some lite cardo (bike core training row machine) just keep it lite.
Yep, youz guys are just toooooo over the hill. Take a lot of time off, weeks if necessary and get a cane or a walker. :trout:

Or it could be dehydration from too much caffeine or stims, or a lack of magnesium, so you could just take some K-Mag and drink water obsessively during your workouts and see if that helps.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Yep, youz guys are just toooooo over the hill. Take a lot of time off, weeks if necessary and get a cane or a walker. :trout:

Or it could be dehydration from too much caffeine or stims, or a lack of magnesium, so you could just take some K-Mag and drink water obsessively during your workouts and see if that helps.
Magnesium. Do it. DO IT!

DrchocolateMi

Awards
I usually workout in the morning. I've noticed when I workout really hard, that evening whatever muscle group I've worked cramps easily with use. I've never really had this problem before. I'm now 44 and have been working out for about 10 years.

currently taking;
Multivitamin
Antioxidants
glucosamine
flaxseed

I tried increasing sodium intake, Potassium (bananas) and increasing water intake. Are there any ideas of possible causes and probable solutions? :dunno:

i get the same problem too, even though im younger, and i have tried every technique. increased potassium intake, that didnt work so now i just try to make sure im plenty hydrated, it doesnt always work but it does seem to make me go longer in my workouts before i cramp up and a lot of times i wont cramp if i made sure im hydrated before i start my workout.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
I SHOULD GET A CANE SO I HAVE SOMETHING TO BEAT SMART ASS PUNKS OVER THE HEAD WITH

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
the only time i get muscle cramping is when i'm
1 - dehydrated
2 - protein intake too low for the intensity i work out at

keeping my protein intake at 300g or above i've never had the issue. on the brief times i road trip somewhere, i do notice brief muscle cramping and i know its a protein issue since i'm hydrated and calories are still well above average.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
As long as I am taking my Taurine regularly, I never get muscle cramps. My wife used to wake up screaming with leg cramps. Put her on Taurine, goodbye cramps. Funny thing, in using it I found out accidentally how important Taurine also is for my eyesight.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
As long as I am taking my Taurine regularly, I never get muscle cramps. My wife used to wake up screaming with leg cramps. Put her on Taurine, goodbye cramps. Funny thing, in using it I found out accidentally how important Taurine also is for my eyesight.

Yep, forgot about taurine, it's a big help too.

Kina Mutai

Awards

currently taking;
Multivitamin
Antioxidants
glucosamine
flaxseed

Taurine is supposedly good for this condition.

I've not tried this as I don't have any cramps (age 55).

Good luck, hope it works!