How do you train if you are prone to injury? - AnabolicMinds.com

How do you train if you are prone to injury?

1. New Member

How do you train if you are prone to injury?

I have been unable to resolve the tendonosis issues in my elbows/forearms, or I should say if I begin training again it flares back up so i have to quit again. I have tried higher reps lighter weight, looking at various exercises and trying to eliminate them, etc. Wondering if anyone who has been prone to this issue have found a way that works for them ie: HST, Westside, etc. I have noticed I can't do bent rows w/ barbell (hurts the elbows), pull ups, chin ups or curls. Any ideas?

2. Professional Member

sometimes the joints just need a rest from training all together. Usually if my elbow acts up I give it some time and it usually gets better.
  3. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jminis View Post
    sometimes the joints just need a rest from training all together. Usually if my elbow acts up I give it some time and it usually gets better.
    I have rested quite a bit. I have been dealing with this for about 2 years and have tried about everything (physical therapy, Active release therapy, rest, lots of other stuff as well). Just looking for a way I might get some kind of workout with out having it flare.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by glipp View Post
    I have been unable to resolve the tendonosis issues in my elbows/forearms, or I should say if I begin training again it flares back up so i have to quit again. I have tried higher reps lighter weight, looking at various exercises and trying to eliminate them, etc. Wondering if anyone who has been prone to this issue have found a way that works for them ie: HST, Westside, etc. I have noticed I can't do bent rows w/ barbell (hurts the elbows), pull ups, chin ups or curls. Any ideas?
    Do everthing in your workout that you can without causing your elbows pain. I'm sure there are plenty of movements that you can do without the elbow pain.
    Begin curling a one pound weight 3 sets of 25 everyday. You shouldn't feel any additional pain the day after if so you have done two much. Increase the weight slowly as tolerated. When you can curl 10lbs 100 times with no pain you'll be able to slowly add light rows to your routine. The very low weight and high repetitions will do the trick. Work the weight up very slowly listen to the elbow.
  5. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny View Post
    Do everthing in your workout that you can without causing your elbows pain. I'm sure there are plenty of movements that you can do without the elbow pain.
    Begin curling a one pound weight 3 sets of 25 everyday. You shouldn't feel any additional pain the day after if so you have done two much. Increase the weight slowly as tolerated. When you can curl 10lbs 100 times with no pain you'll be able to slowly add light rows to your routine. The very low weight and high repetitions will do the trick. Work the weight up very slowly listen to the elbow.
    Hey, I like it. Haven't tried that, but sounds like a good idea. Thanks skiboyny.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Smile

Hey, I like it. Haven't tried that, but sounds like a good idea. Thanks skiboyny.
    It's worked well for me. Have had both golfers and tennis elbow on both arms! You hang around long enough, reabilitation becomes just as important as working out It will take some time but let us know how you make out.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

I suffered this problem.

You need to let your repetitive stress injury in your forearms heal. Where a band around your forearms, just below the elbows when doing any kind of lifting. Something as simple as pouring a gallon of milk can cause the persistence of the injury. I wore it when doing anything simple, mowing the lawn, working on the car.

When you can lift normal items without pain, start doing direct forearm work. Wrist curls, reverse curls, etc. Don't do too many sets or too heavy of a weight.

Once your forearms are conditioned to handle the heavier weights and have been strengthened, resume doing the lifts that caused you pain in the past. Don't go heavy and learn to feel the movement with a lighter weight.
  8. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
    I suffered this problem.

You need to let your repetitive stress injury in your forearms heal. Where a band around your forearms, just below the elbows when doing any kind of lifting. Something as simple as pouring a gallon of milk can cause the persistence of the injury. I wore it when doing anything simple, mowing the lawn, working on the car.

When you can lift normal items without pain, start doing direct forearm work. Wrist curls, reverse curls, etc. Don't do too many sets or too heavy of a weight.

Once your forearms are conditioned to handle the heavier weights and have been strengthened, resume doing the lifts that caused you pain in the past. Don't go heavy and learn to feel the movement with a lighter weight.
    you definitely need to keep the area moving without resistance. this will minimize your adhesions and/or scar tissue in the area.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.

mix it up bro.
    heavy day low reps, mid rep day and high rep day.

gives the joints a break and more tendon strength
  10. Banned
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.

Carefully.

GICH!
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

More and more I have been able to take advantage to the less is more phylosophy. I do my sets with very strict form and have incorporated slower negatives into my lifting. I like HST for this it encourages gradual increase in weight and higer reps to start out with. This allows you to develop good habits with your lifts. It's surprising how much you can get out of a lower weight set when you focus on making it hard as possible on the muscle and strict form and slow negatives will take preasure off the joint. The gains are phenomenal when you do it right.
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

I like free wieghts ........ but in the past ...when i'm hurtin' ..... joint pain ..esp. my forearms and elbows.......i go to cable and machine's....... because the problem is ...
    ...stablizing[did i spell that right?].......it's the thing about free weights that makes them so effective ......if you use the machine's and cables....you take pressure off your stabizing muscle's and give your body a chance to heal......
  13. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    More and more I have been able to take advantage to the less is more phylosophy. I do my sets with very strict form and have incorporated slower negatives into my lifting. I like HST for this it encourages gradual increase in weight and higer reps to start out with. This allows you to develop good habits with your lifts. It's surprising how much you can get out of a lower weight set when you focus on making it hard as possible on the muscle and strict form and slow negatives will take preasure off the joint. The gains are phenomenal when you do it right.
    Good idea.
  14. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I like free wieghts ........ but in the past ...when i'm hurtin' ..... joint pain ..esp. my forearms and elbows.......i go to cable and machine's....... because the problem is ...
    ...stablizing[did i spell that right?].......it's the thing about free weights that makes them so effective ......if you use the machine's and cables....you take pressure off your stabizing muscle's and give your body a chance to heal......
    I like this as well. Thanks guys.
  15. BBB
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

This is an easy question. Everyone who lifts on a regular basis with at some point will have this problem. I have trained around many, many injuries. I have found that despite what the doctor’s say (stop training and give it a rest) if I keep training I heal much faster. First, swallow your ego; lower the weights while increasing the reps. Don't perform any movement that aggravates the injury and stay strict with all your movements. Machines are usually best when injured since they help control the movement. I can always find an alternative exercise that works the target muscle group without hurting. This keeps blood flowing to the injured area and promotes faster healing.
  16. New Member

check out what DC training uses in their exercise rotation and come up with 3 exercises you can do per body part and keep rotating them like they do. just don't attempt to do anything else DC does because it would hurt right now for you. this has helped me greatly to avoid over use injuries. one week i do flat bb bench, incline hammer strength, next week maybe 20degree incline hammer strength and 45 degree bb bench ETC so im never doing the same movement for the same body part week after week.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

I have the same issue in my left forearm. I have been taking fish oil, glucosamine sulfate and started Cissus yesterday. While lifting, I use wrist straps for anything I can. I also am wearing a band around my forearm to provide support. I also stretch it a lot during the day. It is slowly getting better...this is month two after the initial onset of the pain.

Similar Forum Threads

1. prone to gyno
    By touchdownthirty in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 12:32 AM
  2. Gyno Prone
    By Prometheus in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-03-2006, 12:39 PM
  3. Gyno Prone
    By DoubleUp in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11