Getting My Kicks On Route 66 - Notes From a 66 Year-Old Bodybuilder

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, July 4, 2009, One Week Until the 2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Model Championships, Pro Qualifier, Birmingham, Alabama, July 11 and Two Weeks Until My Next Contest, the 2009 NPA Nationals and Masters Universe, Burlington, NC, July 18.

Weight: 148 pounds

I am in the final week of preparation for my first show promoter event, the 2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Model Championships, to be held at Hoover High School in Birmingham, Alabama next Saturday. As of today, I have 33 athletes registered for the show. We are awarding four Pro Cards at this event: Open Mens and Open Womens Bodybuilding, Open Figure and Masters Overall winners. This is a National Gym Association (NGA) sanctioned competition. I'm very excited about how it's all coming together. Lots of little details. Lots of fun.

I'm two weeks out from my next contest, the 2009 Natural Physique Association (NPA) Nationals and Masters Universe Championships, a Pro Qualifier. I am competing in the Open Lightweight Class and the Masters 60+ Class. I am trying to earn my fourth Pro Card (in four different federations). After placing Second for the last two years at this event, I'm ready to take the Crown.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, July 20, 2009 - NPA Nationals and NPA Masters Universe - Results

Finally, whew. After placing Second in my last three contests (2008 and 2009 FAME World Championships and 2008 NPA Nationals and Masters Universe), I finished First in the Open Men's Lightweight Class in the 2009 NPA Nationals and First in the Men's Masters 60+ Class in the 2009 Masters Universe and won my fourth Pro Card in Burlington, North Carolina on Saturday. I had a great time competing in the Overall Masters and Overall Open Championships. It was sweet!

My goal this year was to come in 10 pounds heavier than my 138 pounds last year. I weighed in at 148.2 on Saturday morning at check-in, on target. I was in the best shape of my life, with plenty of vascularity and plenty of hard muscle. I feel really good about my contest prep. It all came together and I peaked at just the right time.

I am going to take some time off from competing to work on adding another seven pounds of lean mass. I would like to compete in my next Pro Show at around 155 pounds, my heaviest weight ever on stage.

I am a Pro in four federations: NGA, WNSO (FAME), IDFA (Canada) and now the Natural Physique Association (NPA). I have a number of pro shows to chose from and I will enter at least two next year.

I'm gratified to end my contest year with two First Place wins and being awarded my fourth Pro Card, at 66 years-of-age. Rock and Roll!

blackmalinois

Awards
Great job u ahold be proud of yourself for a job well done. You are an insperation to us all.

n87

Awards
  • Established
Wow, great job and congrats! X2 on what the previous poster said.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the props.

Getting My Kicks on Route 66 - Final Post

I started this journal as I prepared for my contests this year, at 66 years-of-age and wanting to Get My Kicks (have fun) while training for comps in my 66th year on "Route 66." And have fun, I did. My goal was to bring a larger body to the stage and recapture the winning ways I had in 2007 after placing 2nd in two contests in 2008 and 2nd in one in 2009. I hit the stage at my final show for this year a week ago 10-pounds heavier than in 2008 and not only won my age class, I also won an Open weight class and my fourth natural Pro Card.

I will now take a year off and start my new goal for 2010, to hit the Natural Pro Stage in the second half of the year at a lean 160 pounds. My weight today is 150.0. I will bring a "Bigga, Badder and Mo Betta" body to the stage in 2010.

Thank you for your interest and support this year and over the past five years that I have been active in our Sport. I appreciate you.

Look for my new journal soon as I train as an All American EFX Sponsored Athlete. It's titled: "Old Navy's Quest to be Bigga, Badder and Mo Betta in 2010"

Old Navy