Age and ability, give me the truth....

houston1

Awards
Hello!

Up to what age do you think it´s possible to hold natural max level?
I dont mean the max regard to your age, but peak of your life.

Why do i ask? Here is my situation/background

I trained very hard between age 17-24 and and reached a relative good level
of strenght and muscle mass. Sadly i became very sick and couldnt train for almost 4 and a half year. I lost everything i had built up and dropped insane
amount of pounds. When i came back i started from zero and i meen zero.
Anorectic physique. Maybe musclememory exist? I dont know but i have just trained for 18 months but i have done very big steps forward. My hope is to go back to the same level i had before and maybe a little bit better. If everything will go my way maybe i can be somewhat nere in about 2 years more. Im turning 30 in a couple of months. Im very dedicated and have a big
intrest in training, and i am a little scared that the aging progress will block my way, and that i wouldnt be able to be as good as i hopeing to be.
I wish that i could hold every ounce of muscle until maybe 40-45 years of age is it possible?

I have read that not only the hormones will dropp while you age, there is also a lost of fast musclefibres. Still i see older people with great shape, but what is the truth. Some of the older bodybuilders we see is pump with hormones
so thats not the true side exactly. I have nothing against using of hormones that is everyones own choice.

Hope to have many answers...

Take care

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello!

Up to what age do you think it´s possible to hold natural max level?
I dont mean the max regard to your age, but peak of your life.

Why do i ask? Here is my situation/background

I trained very hard between age 17-24 and and reached a relative good level
of strenght and muscle mass. Sadly i became very sick and couldnt train for almost 4 and a half year. I lost everything i had built up and dropped insane
amount of pounds. When i came back i started from zero and i meen zero.
Anorectic physique. Maybe musclememory exist? I dont know but i have just trained for 18 months but i have done very big steps forward. My hope is to go back to the same level i had before and maybe a little bit better. If everything will go my way maybe i can be somewhat nere in about 2 years more. Im turning 30 in a couple of months. Im very dedicated and have a big
intrest in training, and i am a little scared that the aging progress will block my way, and that i wouldnt be able to be as good as i hopeing to be.
I wish that i could hold every ounce of muscle until maybe 40-45 years of age is it possible?

I have read that not only the hormones will dropp while you age, there is also a lost of fast musclefibres. Still i see older people with great shape, but what is the truth. Some of the older bodybuilders we see is pump with hormones
so thats not the true side exactly. I have nothing against using of hormones that is everyones own choice.

Hope to have many answers...

Take care

Man this post is almost funny....

You have no worries you can obliterate all you past accomplishments at your age. I am still making significant improvments at age 50...where does it stop?

I'll let you know when I get there....

Brenn

Brenn

Awards
I agree, I'm 36 and after many years of powerlifting and Olympic lifting, I began "bodybuilding" again about 4 years ago.

Like you did Houston, I lost over 75lbs, most of it muscle, but not from illness. ( I was 265 @ 20% age 23 and 190 @ 16% age 33) It was because of my job, diet and that I entered endurance ports for 10 years. Back to the weights now and I look WAY better now than at age 23.

Like any sport, as long as you keep learning and listen to your body about what works for you (diet, technique, sleep, nutrition, hormones if you choose them) you will continue to get better.

As an example:
I really focused on my diet, and I've gained 13 lbs this year and have lower bodyfat now than 1 year ago:) So, yes, its possible. <That avatar is 1 year ago at 210lbs.

You have no worries, mate! Good luck!

houston1

Awards
It´s good to hear that is just the beginning of something for me.
I have read a lot that point on the lost of perfomance when your
aging. Maybe it´s not possible to performe at your highest forever, but
the way one choose to live and the will hopefully can take you a long way.

Dreamweaver and Brenn you both bring hope and inspiration

Thanks

i have read a lot in this subject and some people says that you will lose muscle etc, early into aging. I dont want to be over the hill yet for many years. Looking strictly from sceince perspective what happens with the body,
it´s going downhill after 30. Still there is good exampels that shows a diffrent story.

I would like to think that i have many of my best years left.....

I will give it a try...be sure

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It´s good to hear that is just the beginning of something for me.
I have read a lot that point on the lost of perfomance when your
aging. Maybe it´s not possible to performe at your highest forever, but
the way one choose to live and the will hopefully can take you a long way.

Dreamweaver and Brenn you both bring hope and inspiration

Thanks

i have read a lot in this subject and some people says that you will lose muscle etc, early into aging. I dont want to be over the hill yet for many years. Looking strictly from sceince perspective what happens with the body,
it´s going downhill after 30. Still there is good exampels that shows a diffrent story.

I would like to think that i have many of my best years left.....

I will give it a try...be sure

Well my comp weight five years ago was under 200 lbs now I would estimate between 215-220. Yah it just keeps on getting better.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Houston, I would love to be where you are right now. Lift,eat, and rest well and you will be as big as you want to be. I am in the 50 club with Dream and probably in the best shape of my life right now. I have to lift with more care and in a higher rep range but, you my friend canlet it rip. Good luck Bubba!

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I am on the brink of 45 and probably feel as good as I ever have. I believe you can continue making gains as long as you are physically able to move weight. With age comes the wisdom of understanding what your body is telling you. You just have to listen. The best part for me is when my 15 year old daughter tells me her friends think I'm scary looking.

You are going to be fine Houston. Take your time, eat right, and lift smart and you will be very happy where it can take you.

Cfour

Cfour

Awards
  • Established
Dude you are WAY too young to start a thread like this. You're "Starting Over" at 30? 3 years ago, at age 41, I was 214 lbs of FAT. I drank TOO much, smoked TOO much, and felt like ****. So I walked into a Taekwondo Dojo one night determined to change me. Start over as you put it. I puked the first night....lol. 2 years ago I bought a set of weights and a bench. I quit drinking, changed my diet, pump iron, & train in TKD. Today I'm at 170 lbs and I test for 1st degree black belt in 4 months. I will be 45 the month of my testing. So take my word brother, You are not over the hill. Just Decide what it is YOU want and go get it.:thumbsup:

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Houston, you are the only limit, not father time. I will turn 68 this Fall and I honestly hope to once again, ie for the nth year in a row, set a new PR in one of my favorite lifts. I am talking serious weights. They are not impossibilities, they are goals and inspiration. I'll second Dream Weaver, when I see that "wall" I'll let you know.

AGELESS

AGELESS

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you Dutch....all the way. Right behind ya buddy. I'm 65 and I feel like my best days are yet to come.

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
I am 52 and in better shape than when I was 30. Still making strength gains.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking awesome there Mac!!

BrianEE93

Awards
I was in the best shape of my life at 34 and looking to get even better at 39.

Not trying to be nosey but whatever illness you had could have done a number on your hormones. That is why I am finally getting back at it. When I was 35, I started feeling bad and had some pretty bad illnesses. It was about 2 years later that I found a Dr. that knew what to look for and I am on HRT and feeling much better.

I am not saying this happened to you but prolonged illness is hard on the body.

You have a very long life of strength ahead of you.

tank316

tank316

Awards
  • Established
Chiming in @45 going 46 and feel great and getting bigger.
Hey Ageless/MacTech...Props to you both, you guys looking amazing! Tank.

Arbor

Awards
It keeps getting better. Continue to set goals. There are NO lmits except those you place upon yourself.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
I would say it depends on the person, his mind set, his habits from teenage yrs. thru now. Take myself for example, I got big into eating healthy, taking care of myself thanks to Paul & Patricia Bragg along with Jack Lalanne. Never have smoked, didn't have my first beer till I was 23. Vitamins, fasting, eating very clean.

Also had very little stress, and use to hang out with people a few yrs. younger than me. I've never thought much about age, the actual number of years, etc. And since about 19 been careful with my joints, not playing bball on the concrete, indoors only, joint supps. Once again, it's the mind set one has and great, healthy habits.

Look at Ed Corney, the famous bodybuilder, I believe he got into BB in his late 20's or early 30's. He peaked in his late 40's.

If I were you I'd not worry about it, train hard/smart, take great care of yourself, try to lead as much as you can a stress free life, have lots of sex, don't smoke & watch the drinking. Another big one is sleep. I turn 33 next month but I look and feel much younger.

Someone that never seemed to age was the great, late Rick Nelson. I've heard him in interviews say he never thought much about age. He took good care of himself, LOTS of sex, lived the R&R lifestyle, slept alot. What a life, lucky bastard he was! :p