cut or bulk 1st

gettingold

Awards
I don't go on here as often as I should, but here's my question. Recent events (bad crash) have really messed up my workouts for the past eight months or so. I'm not as into this as most on these boards, but I have always been in good shape and have always worked out. After being unable to workout for so long (sporatic - only real light lifting and some walking, no running - nothing even close to consistent) I finally have the "go ahead". I'm 43, 5'10" 180. That's where I've been for a long time. Different now though. I feel like a skinny guy w/ a gut and love handles. I want to bulk back up, but loose the gut. Which first? Cut to loose the gut or bulk to get size and strength back? I'll never be over 185 and really don't want to, but want my size and strength back w/o the gut.
thanks for any help...

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you cut first, it will improve your insulin sensitivity and ability to put on lean muscle mass without as much fat gain. I would suggest cutting , then bulking. Obviously don't neglect the importance of resistance training during you cut, and you may actually see some muscle come back thanks to muscle memory.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
More of a preference. I would rather bulk up and then lean down and cruise. Becuase if you cut first, and then bulk, if you do a real bulk you would gain fat. And then, if it were me, i would have to cut > bulk > cut.

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
Take it slow mate, I have been given the "GO" three times since I fractured my neck in Iraq and everytime I push just a little to far it sets me back a month.

brotheriron

Awards
I'm facing the same situation myself, been off a little to long and need to start back up. I think if your diet is clean the gains you will make on a bulk cycle will overide the concern with the love handles. Besides, your not looking to gain more than five additional pounds. I say eat clean and enjoy the gains. Welcome back!

Messiah

Awards
The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn at rest. To me it makes more sense to build the muscle, then try to remove the fat. Just my 2 cents.

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
In the past i've taken long lay offs and then had to "come back". What has worked for me is to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. So, if I weighed 220 and had a gut, i would eat 220 grams of protein a day and eat real clean. Your physique will start to improve as your gut slowly shrinks. By eating only 1 gram of protein your less likely to continue putting on more fat. It's worked for me.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Lean up a little first.....it is very frustrating to be lifting and working your butt off to look in the mirror at a bigger chest, arms and shoulders and then look at your gutt and love handles....I have been there before and didn't like it so I actually quit lifting for a while and just did cardio then started lifting full on....just me tho

uknowwho

Awards
Do you put on muscle fairly easily? Are you naturally strong? If you're skinny fat I'd probably bulk first with clean foods and then diet down. If you put muscle on easily and are naturally strong (like me) I would lean out and then slowly up the calories/carbs to gain muscle.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Do you put on muscle fairly easily? Are you naturally strong? If you're skinny fat I'd probably bulk first with clean foods and then diet down. If you put muscle on easily and are naturally strong (like me) I would lean out and then slowly up the calories/carbs to gain muscle.
I agree with uknowho......i was looking at it from my personal point of view. I put on muscle easily and have never been skinny fat. VERY GOOD POINT!!