Pushing the envelope.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
How about us older guys doing anabolic cycles?.... Are we pushing the envelope, just waiting to injure ourself?.... How much strength is to much?... Should we keep going heaver because our bodies tell us to?... I'm wondering how much I can keep pushing till something gives....

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have just hit the wall at 50. I will have to lighten up and go high rep from here on. Anytime I load the weight up now I strain something. I will be staying in the 20 rep range now. It's just a natural progression. There is still growth to be had with the higher reps. You are still a few years from me and should be able to push hard. Just stay in the 10-12 rep range. All the best JM!!

BignBad

Awards
I have just hit the wall at 50. I will have to lighten up and go high rep from here on. Anytime I load the weight up now I strain something. I will be staying in the 20 rep range now. It's just a natural progression. There is still growth to be had with the higher reps. You are still a few years from me and should be able to push hard. Just stay in the 10-12 rep range. All the best JM!!
I've found the same thing. Volume is my friend and keeps me injury free. It's interesting, though: I'm actually lifting more weight than I did in college. But I do definitely plateau. Over a certain weight and I injure myself...

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The same for me...lifting more than I did when younger but, anytime my ego steps in and try to go heavy...bam, something gets tweaked. You can still make progress in the higher rep ranges.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
I have that issue with my shoulders. When I bench, if I keep the weight in the 225 range, I'm ok. Once I get up to 275 or more for reps, they ache the next day. I've narrowed my grip considerably, but they still bark at me if I go to heavy. I like to lift heavy is my problem.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ed, do you like lifting heavy more than lifting? Make the adjustment or you might not be lifting at all... What is the difference between pushing 275 for say 5 or 6 reps and 225 for about 20 reps. You are still one strong SOB in my book.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
I know I know, but I see the young guys pushing what they think is heavy weight and get caught up in the moment so I have to be a jackass and show em what an old man can do LOL. :fing02: I actually like doing incline DB presses. I switch it up. Now one thing I don't understand is the leg press. I see people put 700-800lbs on it and move it maybe 6 inches for reps. I usually keep it at 400-500 and go really low, almost to the point where my heels are touching my butt. I do have a new hip, so I try not to push it too much, but I've always believe in full range of movement on lifts.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There you go E...full range of the movement will always benefit you more. Bang out 20 rep sets of that and you are good to go. Quality not quantity big man...

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
One thing I've been doing on/off the past year is Yoga. I workout at the "Y" and they offer yoga classes. I have two teenage children involved in sports (hockey & Swimming) and we started taking classes together, usually once a week. I have to be honest, it's really helped me a lot! I can't say I get excited about going, but once the class is done I'm glad I went.

frankpt

frankpt

Awards
I agree with all of you guys. I am 42, Did some incline benching Monday, went to 250 and strained my shoulder tendon. Had to take the week off. Went to the doctor, thought I tore something. Pain was unbearable! I guess I will go to 20 reps for a while. LOL

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
Shoulders seem to be a common theme when it comes to lifting issues with us older guys. I always tell the younger guys, take care of your shoulders or it will haunt you later.

Nice picture of you there Frank, you look to be in tremendous shape! What other chest exercises do you do that don't strain the shoulders?

frankpt

frankpt

Awards
Incline flyes and hammer strength are good . Also, Try bench pressing with your legs crossed-not on the floor. You have to use less weight.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
Good ideas, thanks Frank. Anyone ever do dogcrapp style of lifting? I did that today. I've gone to total body, 2x per week, with the other days devoted to cardio, team sports (hockey), etc. I like the dogcrapp because you get a good workout using less weights. For then bench , I did 2 light warmup sets, then I did 245x11, waited 15 seconds, 205x6, rested 15 seconds and then 185x5. It blasts the muscles. I did this for all lifts except legs. I then finished up with 10 minutes of HIIT on the stationary bike. I get a good workout for my chest doing this and my shoulders feel ok. Just something different to try.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do DC style lifting EddieV and I love it. Granted, I use a higher rep level than the younger crowd but, the results are the same. Yours is a little modified from the standard but, it's all about what works bubba.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Shoulders seem to be a common theme when it comes to lifting issues with us older guys. I always tell the younger guys, take care of your shoulders or it will haunt you later.

Nice picture of you there Frank, you look to be in tremendous shape! What other chest exercises do you do that don't strain the shoulders?
Trashed my shoulders as a foolish young man (30 years ago) and they have never been right since...as I have aged they have only gotten more problematic.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
I do DC style lifting EddieV and I love it. Granted, I use a higher rep level than the younger crowd but, the results are the same. Yours is a little modified from the standard but, it's all about what works bubba.
Correct, a modified version of the DC type of training and this version seems to work well for me. 2 days later, I'm still sore, in good way! Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
When on steroids, you gotta be really careful. When you aren't on something, you know it because your body will let you know it and you feel it. When you are on something, it kinda masks the pain and your strength can shoot up quickly and tendons and such can't keep up. You have to go slow and steady on the weight increases. It can be done if you give your body time, unless there are other underlying health issues. I've seen some strong mofos in their 50's and 60's. There is alot to be said for muscle maturity.

Brenn

Brenn

Awards
Yep, we'll all be crossing that bridge sooner or later, Jim. I can't even imagine squatting like I did in colllege. I still try to tear it up though...the weights, not the muscles :)

Anabolics? Lots of older guys (and some not so old) are on TRT.

Otherwise, there are many tendon-building anabolics like Primo, EQ, and Anavar that we could take advantage of in moderation, should we choose, as well as ones to stay away from.

The key for me and lifting heavy is: Do all my higher-rep lifts early in the workout, then end heavy. When I'm pumped, I can't go as heavy, but I can push as hard as I can and not worry too much. If I start heavy, theres a price.