Knee pain

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.48%

Knee pain

Some of you may know from previous posts that I have a long standing issue with knee problems, surgeries, shots, PT, you name it. For the most part, my knees feel good while lifting. Running is the problem. I started playing basketball in a rec league and my knees are killing me. Feels like the shock absorbers are gone. I know a couple of well placed cortisone injections will provide some relief, but that is not a long term solution. Does anyone have any experience with Synvisc? I have heard that some people respond very well to this and that it can provide up to 6 months of relief.

I would like to continue playing ball, but I am afraid that zero to low impact conditioning is going to be my only alternative. Any advise? Thanks

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  239 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.96%

I have heard that Cissus is good for joint pain.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85%

I have to agree on the Cissus. Look at the Supplement section on the front page and you'll see a few threads on Cissus. I would recommend getting a bottle of USP Labs Super Cissus. 2 x 2 per day works great for me. I'm 49, and have shoulder joint pain, knee pain, and ankle pain. All of those are from days past from my youthful pursuits of many sports. The Cissus has helped tremendously, don't get Primaforce's version, not even close to USP labs version.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.48%

Thanks for the feedback. I have been supplementing with cissus and glucosomine sulfate and have noticed a marked improvement in my knees. My sister-in-law, a massage therapist, gave me a bottle of Biofreeze to try. It is a topical agent that I have been very impressed with. Never had any luck with topicals in the past, but this stuff really works. I've been using it on my knees and other various aches and pains before bball games and workouts. Great stuff.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.88%

Synvisc looks interesting. I'll have to ask some of the Ortho docs about it....they don't seem to be using it around here for some reason.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.34%

Any update with the knee pain?
    I have have ongoing problems with the knees since I was in the Marines. Almost 5 years as a grunt. The abuse is catching up. I seem to have a similar situation. When I run, almost the entire knee hurts...the patella tendons on both knees as well. I can't kneel on the left, as it causes an unreal burning. I can no longer glide along when running, as it feels like I am dragging a small monkey hanging on my legs...hitting them with a pipe. Most google searches say tendonitis, but this feels like bone on bone. I was at the Dr. about 4 months ago, after I felt immediate burning pain in the left while squatting. I could still run fairly decent. Since that time, I am almost literally feeling every bone/joint from the hips down. Just INVESTED in $180 for a pair of running shoes, with some fancy inserts, to replace the $100 shoes that I bought in March, that I thought would help correct the plantar and ankle pain, and bad gait (I overpronate, and have high arches). Everybody including the therapist (also 4 months ago) says I need to stretch . I am trying...but in the past, I never stretched before or after running. I would like to think that if I had a total breakdown in cartilage, or rheumatoid arthritis, the Dr. would have said so with the X-ray. He said I had bursa sac inflammation. Just wondering how your knees are doing, as this this is the first time I seen the pain described as the whole knee. I am going to try to run a 5k tomorrow..looking at some of the times, I think I could actually beat some of the geezers..seeing I am in that category now...but not with my bones screaming every step.
    thanx
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.24%

Quote Originally Posted by nightshift View Post
    Some of you may know from previous posts that I have a long standing issue with knee problems, surgeries, shots, PT, you name it. For the most part, my knees feel good while lifting. Running is the problem. I started playing basketball in a rec league and my knees are killing me. Feels like the shock absorbers are gone. I know a couple of well placed cortisone injections will provide some relief, but that is not a long term solution. Does anyone have any experience with Synvisc? I have heard that some people respond very well to this and that it can provide up to 6 months of relief.

I would like to continue playing ball, but I am afraid that zero to low impact conditioning is going to be my only alternative. Any advise? Thanks
    Get on 1 or 2 joint supps.
    Get some knee sleeves like that NBA guys wear. Keeps the knees warm and gives a lil' support.
    Warm up really well, and make sure you do a cool down followed by some stretching.
    Look into getting some orthodics, and not the cheap ones they sell at Wal-Fart or CVS. I got some top notch ones thru my buddy the Chiro. They cost around $255 or so.
    Make sure your wearing some decent bball shoes, even better, get 3-5 pairs and rotate them. I do this with my bball shoes and tennis shoes.
    And the last one is DO NO PLAY ON CONCRETE! That's the worse thing you could do to your kness, back, joints, etc. You should be playing indoors on a wood or rubberized floor.

That's all I can think of for now.

Over at T-Nation they sell Bulletproof Knees. It's a complete manuel. I believe it's Eric Cressy and Mike Robertson. Two top Strength Coaches that are tops in thier field. It's around $100 and I'm sure well worth it. Good luck!
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.24%

Quote Originally Posted by SOLRAC View Post
    I have to agree on the Cissus. Look at the Supplement section on the front page and you'll see a few threads on Cissus. I would recommend getting a bottle of USP Labs Super Cissus. 2 x 2 per day works great for me. I'm 49, and have shoulder joint pain, knee pain, and ankle pain. All of those are from days past from my youthful pursuits of many sports. The Cissus has helped tremendously, don't get Primaforce's version, not even close to USP labs version.
    Cissus is GREAT. Get it from Supplement Direct for ALOT less. It's the same ****.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41%

NSAIDs in combo with icing three times a day seem to be doing the trick for my knee issues.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.84%

Quote Originally Posted by nightshift View Post

Hi, this may late and this thread may be a bit old, just found it. I though i would respond though just in case. I have BAD knees and have tried a lot of things. I am at the point that my doctor wants to replace my left knee but wants to wait till I am 50, so I deal with. I have no miniscus(sp?) in my left knee and have had multiple operations on both knees.
    Anyway, for me, Cissus has helped to a degree and so has Gluc/Cont. conbination(Joint Command is the supplement) but you have to load up and not stop. I still take these but only when I know I will be active for a period of time. So, for example, I start taking about 4 weeks out from the begining of softball season and take through the season. I think it helps, but not a whole lot.
    I have had injections as well of cortizone and Supparts(sp?) which is just like Synvisc. Cortizone only lasted a short while, when I had more miniscus, it worked better, but you can only have 3 per year and then you start getting scar tissue. The Synvisc or Supparts worked for a short time as well. It requires 3-5 injections into the joint, for consecitive weeks and is expensive if not covered by insurance($1000 +). You get a gel injected into the joint and it is meant to help "cushion" the joint, provide lubrication and also has a pain reliever. It lasted for about 3 months for me, but should have lasted minimally 6 months to a year. Needless to say, it did not work to justify doing this every few months. I still had pain after the injections, so again, was not worth it.
    the best medicine was dropping weight, strengthing the quad and calf muscles to help support and usinga knee brace as needed. I have a custom knee brace, so it helps to specifically the twisting motion. My acl has been replaced and is very strong, so, I do not use the brace often, the big problem is the cushion.
    I bike, run on grass or dirt, never on hard/hard ground and make sure i have good shoes that are fitted properly(this made a difference - having a shoe fitted).
    hope this answers some questions and feel free to ask questions back.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.84%

Quote Originally Posted by REEVESDIESEL View Post
    Get on 1 or 2 joint supps.
    Get some knee sleeves like that NBA guys wear. Keeps the knees warm and gives a lil' support.
    Warm up really well, and make sure you do a cool down followed by some stretching.
    Look into getting some orthodics, and not the cheap ones they sell at Wal-Fart or CVS. I got some top notch ones thru my buddy the Chiro. They cost around $255 or so.
    Make sure your wearing some decent bball shoes, even better, get 3-5 pairs and rotate them. I do this with my bball shoes and tennis shoes.
    And the last one is DO NO PLAY ON CONCRETE! That's the worse thing you could do to your kness, back, joints, etc. You should be playing indoors on a wood or rubberized floor.

That's all I can think of for now.

Over at T-Nation they sell Bulletproof Knees. It's a complete manuel. I believe it's Eric Cressy and Mike Robertson. Two top Strength Coaches that are tops in thier field. It's around $100 and I'm sure well worth it. Good luck!
    Good advice here as well.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pain in right knee.
    By DerickVonD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 12:38 PM
  2. pain in knee
    By austink3417 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 10:43 PM
  3. Help w/ mom's knee pain
    By dsl in forum Supplements