HELP...can't make any gains..45yrs old

mjonesjr8

Awards
Hello, I'm 45 and have worked out off and on (more off) for a long time but, this last year I have worked out harder than I ever have and can not make any real gain in size my strength seems to go up and down. I work out with some guys from work everyday at lunch we hit it hard. They are 10+ years younger and have made very noticeable gains while I have not. I'm still a little stronger on most things but, have gained no size and seem only to get man breast now. Very disapointing to say the lest.
I think I've wasted a small fortune on supps that none ever seem to help. Right now I'm using Methyl-Masterdrol V2 and Plazma Jet
I'm sure I don't get enough protien but, I also can't get rid of the belly either.
stats:
age 45
6'0 210lbs
bench max 315

Mon: chest and tri
tue: back and bi
wed: legs and shoulders
thur: chest and tri
fri: back and bi.
off sat. and sun.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
When was the last time you changed your training routine? You need to constantly shock your body to induce muscle growth. I change routines every 4 to 6 weeks FWIW.

Also, you need to post your diet as this is key. If diet is off your body does not have the components to build muscle.

PS, what does protein intake have to do w/the belly?

mjonesjr8

Awards
Thanks for the response, to be honest we hardly every change the routine. My diet leaves a lot to be desired.
Usually:
Breakfast:7:00am, eggs, sausage and a biskuit w/honey.
snack 9:00 am, protein bar
1:00 after workout Lunch.. chicken wrap, burger or pack of tuna
4:00 supper,, turkey sandwich/chips

thanks again,

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I'm really thinking your diet needs to be improved to get gains. Maybe start by getting yourself some protein powder from All The Whey and adding in a couple of shakes a day. You can pick up an easy extra 100grams of protein that way. Whole food is always better, but this would be a good start. Add in some ground oats to each one for some good quality carbs. 1/4 cup ground oats 2 scoops protein powder mixed with skim milk.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
try to increase you calories and protein in take and change you workout routine, also you'll notice gains will come at a slower pace don't get discourage and train hard with good rest in between

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If your diet is not in check you are absolutely wasting your time. You must achieve an energy deficit to lose weight and you must have a surplus to gain it. As you have discovered, supplements are worthless if you don't have basic nutrition down - and even then...

Spend some time in the nutrition forums and you will get what you need to know.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Well the bad news is a lot of what you are talking about is probably because your test levels are lower than the guys you are working out and estrogen is higher. This could be why you are not gaining muscle and have fat around the waist.

Good news is as you say your diet is bad so start with that. Change your routine more often and I would say stop working each muscle twice a week and drop it back to 1 time per week.

CROWLER

mjonesjr8

Awards
Thanks guys,,, it use to be so easy 20+ years ago...

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Well keep at it because it is easy now for you compared to 20 years from now or so I am told. :)

CROWLER

FrankJ

Awards
  • Established
Yeah your diet is awful. Cut out sugar and fat and replace it with lean protein and low glycemic carbs.
And it looks to me like you are training too often with not enough intensity. Reduce your workouts to once a week for each bodypart, but really hit it. On your off days do some light cardio to get your heart in shape.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Diet- More protein, less junk, more water.
Squats and Deadlifts........Kill the legs..........
Amino Acids, morning-noon-nite
Sleep, get quality sleep

Get your test and estrogen levels checked.

If you want supplements......

Try anything with resveratrol. STOKED in particular. Vitamin pak, like Animal Pak, 3 times a week.

My 2 cents.

Good Luck bro

Im only 35 and regardless of what anyone says.........I dont lift and recover like i did 15 years ago.........End of story.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
about 3 weeks ago i went from eating fish and green beans for dinner to eating sweet potatoes and steak. my bench has gone up 20 lbs. i just set a personal best this morning on tricep pushdowns.....and expect to see more. that is the only thing I've changed. yea, I've gained a bit of fat initially, but expect to be able to lose that if i set up cardio a bit

jpk

jpk

Awards
Clearly your body isn't responding the way it used to. If you get your endocrine profile run you might find standard middle age guy issues like low test, high estrogen and high cortisol. Before you go supping these issues away, consider an underlying medical problem may be contributing to the negative cascade. You're a big guy in his 40s. The average guy I know in this category has some level of sleep apnea. The apnea itself will cause the abnormal hormone profile.

Do you snore? This is evidence of airway obstruction. Do you snore loudly? This may be a sign of a more significant problem.

I'm only chiming in here since I've been through this "hard gainer" situation myself. I spent 20 years (and 3 wives) in denial about the apnea.

Also, I agree with everybody who's weighed in so far. It's just that some other condition may be trumping all your best efforts.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

mjonesjr8

Awards
JPK, you hit it right on the head about sleep I can't hardly sleep at all without some sleep aid pills, and also about snoring. I'm going to make an appt. with the Doc, and get some test run.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
JPK, you hit it right on the head about sleep I can't hardly sleep at all without some sleep aid pills, and also about snoring. I'm going to make an appt. with the Doc, and get some test run.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.
good decision, keep us updated if you would, on what the tests say, and what your doc says. just because some of us are not in their 40's yet, doesn't mean that we won't be someday. hopefully

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Clearly your body isn't responding the way it used to. If you get your endocrine profile run you might find standard middle age guy issues like low test, high estrogen and high cortisol. Before you go supping these issues away, consider an underlying medical problem may be contributing to the negative cascade. You're a big guy in his 40s. The average guy I know in this category has some level of sleep apnea. The apnea itself will cause the abnormal hormone profile.

Do you snore? This is evidence of airway obstruction. Do you snore loudly? This may be a sign of a more significant problem.

I'm only chiming in here since I've been through this "hard gainer" situation myself. I spent 20 years (and 3 wives) in denial about the apnea.

Also, I agree with everybody who's weighed in so far. It's just that some other condition may be trumping all your best efforts.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

GREAT info. And judging by what the OP just posted VERY accurate! Keep spreading the word I am sure you are helping a lot of people.

CROWLER

poacher

Awards
  • Established
Your bench isn't bad. Our training appears similar. Same age. For me strength now is more about motivation. REALLY getting my head into it, AND DIET. Got to eat to get stronger JUST THE WAY IT IS.

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
Very good advice above on how to fix your lack of progress.

Most importantly, IMO, you need to cut bodyfat and reduce aromatase. This will elevate your Free and Total T and reduce estrogens to more manly levels.

I would bet your T to E ratio is very poor as evidenced by your man breasts statement. Trust me, I had them too. That was two years ago and my avi is from two weeks ago.

Track your diet closely, increase the cardio, reduce cortisol, eat clean, lose the belly and SLEEP well and you will see a entirely new you in 3 months.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Others have posted some good info here. I agree that diet is the #1 Key. Also, you may be over training by hitting each body part twice a week. Are you staying sore all the time? Your CNS will also have a hard time recovering. I would cut it back to 1 time a week for each body part and concentrate on diet and getting plenty of quality sleep and see if that helps.

FrankJ

Awards
  • Established
I would bet your T to E ratio is very poor as evidenced by your man breasts statement. Trust me, I had them too. That was two years ago and my avi is from two weeks ago.
Hey man, are you on HRT ( TRT ) ?

Your avatar looks awesome?

If not, do you run AI's constantly or cycle them?

Im 37, and have been cycling AI's every few months, but Im wondering if low dose continuously might be a good idea.

poacher

Awards
  • Established
Others have posted some good info here. I agree that diet is the #1 Key. Also, you may be over training by hitting each body part twice a week. Are you staying sore all the time? Your CNS will also have a hard time recovering. I would cut it back to 1 time a week for each body part and concentrate on diet and getting plenty of quality sleep and see if that helps.
I have that problem. It is so very hard not to overtrain. I would guess most of us LOVE TRAINING[me to] and it is hard to call it quits. I overtraind so bad last year that even after 1 week off my shoulders were still sore. But when you find that balence of doing just enough for your body to be able to recover sronger something MAGICAL happens GROWTH

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
Hey man, are you on HRT ( TRT ) ?

Your avatar looks awesome?

If not, do you run AI's constantly or cycle them?

Im 37, and have been cycling AI's every few months, but Im wondering if low dose continuously might be a good idea.
Thank you for the compliment.

No, I am not on HRT.

Natural test boosters, serms for estrogen control and HPTA stimulation. This is also including AIs after using a PH, during PCT.

I feel better and look just as good when not taking any prohormones. My natural test levels are good and all I do is replace them from an endogenous source. Not a good way to go, in my opinion.

leanbody

leanbody

Awards
Hey Man - don't get discouraged - just takes hard work and a changed diet. i shook it all up about 2 years ago and am finally making some gains!!!! at 49 - so it's possible - just not as quick as those young bucks (of 30! hahaha)

djbkxr

djbkxr

Awards
I'd put my money on overtraining. 5 days in a row and you're working out with guys 10yrs younger so I'm sure that pushes you quite a bit. Probably too much for you right now.

Filthy McNast

Awards
Im 41 and have recently gotten back into lifting after laying off for about 11 years. It's definitely harder to get strength gains as the aging process takes it toll on us "old timers". I've been working out steady for just over 2 years and went completely stagnant and stale on strength gains last year for about a 6 month span of time. I eventually took some advice and starting taking pro-hormones to boost my test levels and since then I've been getting consistently stronger and obtaining much more definition and hardness. I strongly recommend Sus500 from Genetic Edge Technologies. If you aren't taking creatine, I think it would help you and you should start. You do seem to be overtraining in my opinion. At my age (41) I can only work each muscle group hard 1x per week.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I agree completely with the 1 X per week, per muscle group theory. I also believe that stacking Creatine and Beta-Alanine to boost our recovery as we age, is a tremendous help. For adding strength I use low rep 3 - 5 and high weight. Every couple months, such as now, I back off and change to a GVT ie 10 X 10 approach.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Mon: chest and tri
tue: back and bi
wed: legs and shoulders
thur: chest and tri
fri: back and bi.
off sat. and sun.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
It is not at all possible to from this data to tell how many sets and at what level of intensity you are working. But if you are doing anything close to moderate to high volume in these workouts at even a moderately high level of intensity, then this frequency is way too much.

If you are doing this with no good results, then you need to modulate one or two of those factors. At this frequency then be sure to reduce volume and monitor intensity closely.

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
As he stated in one of his few posts, his diet sucks. Therein lies the problem, not the training frequency. He eats poorly for the type of training he wants to do.

I was in my best shape on a 5 day straight, coupled with the right amount of reps, intensity, food and rest. Too little of any of those will hamper gains or achieve none at all.

nestle1

nestle1

Awards
He might want to slow up the training but the diet is whats really bad.