Enlarged Prostate (BPH) Advice

adpanther

Awards
My Grandfather just turned 79 and as you might expect is suffering from a rather enlarged prostate. I would like some advice on what type of supplements (preferably an all in one) he could try to lessen his symptoms. He is currently taking FLOMAX and has tried a few prostate support supplements with very meager results. He is not cancerous his psa is barely above the middle of the normal range. Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
What is his body composition like, slim, fat or obese?

Higher than normal estrogen levels can cause BPH. Lower adipose tissue, and lowering the E will help considerably. Increased DHT will cause it too. But this is normal for a man of his age to get BPH.

adpanther

Awards
I appreciate the response.
He is a little pudgy his bmi is around 24 but he is very fit for his age and he is able to do pretty much any lift.
Would you suggest something like an otc aromatase inhibitor like novadex xt along with some herbal support supplements?
It sure isn't a surprise that he's in that condition considering the statistics but I would really like to find him some relief.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Get him on a good chelated Zinc supplement. Solaray is my preferred brand for minerals. Zinc has a mild AI affect as well as being concentrated in the prostate to begin with.

Research on an herb called Pygeum has been quite positive for reducing BPH as well as helping to prevent prostate cancer.

Estrogen ratios should be checked and adjusted if need be. I would not blindly start using an AI without solid blood work results first.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
In a recent thread, I suggested then, and would again here for your Grandfather, daily use of a good Progesterone cream. I use a micronized Progesterone/Beta Sitosterol/Saw Palmetto compound that I get from the Supplement Spot. It has greatly reduced my BPH problem. It cuts down my DHT and in reducing my Estrogen it inversely ups my Testosterone. Basically it makes me healthy and horny NTTIAWWT! I simply take 2 pumps, 2 X ED for a total of about 12 mgs ED. I take several other steps for my prostate health including drinking 6 to 8 oz daily of a 100% pure Pomegranite juice (Old Orchard 100% Pure), taking selenium (200mcg), Omega 3s (2 gms ie about 5 gms of Fish Oil), Green Tea extract (3 gms)and especially megadosing vitamin D3 (6,000 IU ED). Taken together this combo is not only good for one's prostate but provides the foundation for healthy longevity.

Last edited:
Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Get him on a good chelated Zinc supplement. Solaray is my preferred brand for minerals. Zinc has a mild AI affect as well as being concentrated in the prostate to begin with.

Research on an herb called Pygeum has been quite positive for reducing BPH as well as helping to prevent prostate cancer.

Estrogen ratios should be checked and adjusted if need be. I would not blindly start using an AI without solid blood work results first.
About 10 years ago, while I still lived in Holland, I suffered from extreme BPH and a PSA of 10. Fortunately for me, the Dutch believed in dosing Beta-Sitosterol, Pygeum and Pumpkin Seed as an alternative to the standard American solutions. The Pygeum was and still is a tried and true approach to resolving BPH.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Happily, the American alternative medicine system is getting caught up.

adpanther

Awards
Thank you very much. I convinced him a while ago to get the blood work done but he is still waiting to get in to the doc. I will definetly check out the above mentioned. Also are there any noteworthy risks assiociated with dosing progesterone in the above mentioned fashion?

If you don't mind dutchman how effective was the dutch approach at reversing your condition?

...Just an afterthought There are some scary ass google ads on this thread..Robotic prostate surgery? I say we go ahead and keep johnny 5 out of that :donut:region.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
lol, agreed. Just say no to robots up your arse.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
TESTOSTOLYZE by SPECIES NUTRITION

blocks estro, and DHT

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Thank you very much. I convinced him a while ago to get the blood work done but he is still waiting to get in to the doc. I will definetly check out the above mentioned. Also are there any noteworthy risks assiociated with dosing progesterone in the above mentioned fashion?

If you don't mind dutchman how effective was the dutch approach at reversing your condition?

...Just an afterthought There are some scary ass google ads on this thread..Robotic prostate surgery? I say we go ahead and keep johnny 5 out of that :donut:region.
No problem guy, it worked well. Within a few months I was back down around 4 for my PSA. I constantly research this situation and as time goes on I have come to believe completely in the Progesterone treatment for us old farts. Now its important that you use bio-identical micronized progesterone and don't get sucked in by the synthetic progestins that Big Pharma produced and ruined so many women with. Most guys fail to realize that we men produce progesterone, I believe from two sources, and it, like our test which eventually resolves from it, go down hill more rapidly as we age. What is needed at 40 is far different from what is needed at 60, 70 and 80. Their are no nasty side effects from progesterone except that it also helps up your test and strengthens your bones. Do your grandad a favor and get him some of NOW foods little, BB sized gel caps of Vitamin D3, about 6000 IUs (3 gels) like I said earlier, and also get him 5 gms a day of some good fish oil for the Omega 3s. His prostate size will go down and he will stick around for many more years thanks to your concern. Viel Glueck!