General advice needed

Bearmo01

Awards
First off, great forum!

I'm in need of weight loss tips/bulking advice.
I am 41, 6'0" 255lbs. I have been an on and off lifter for many years, but now I am determined to get in the shape that I've always known that I'm capable of.
I've been out of touch with supplements except for the basics..whey, glutamine, creatine..etc...
I'm looking to lose fat and get big.

Can somebody give me the lowdown on what would work best?
I'd prefer to not have to take a buttload of stuff, is there a couple things that work, and that won't break the bank?

Thanks guys,

Bear

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Well diet is paramount as you know, and I would focus on something we call recomp. That is maintaining/increasing muscle mass while we burn fat, thus improving all over body composition. It is basically accomplished by eating in and around maintenance calories, with a good exercise routine. I would not dive right into supplement use till you reach a plateau. Then the best recomp product is Recreate... for me anyway. It supports muscle retention and fat loss.

Don't be in too much of a hurry the more intellegently you go about this the better off you'll be in the long run and this way you can still enjoy life to a certain extent.

Another good recomp stack is Leviatan and DCP...

Bearmo01

Awards
Thanks

Thanks Weaver for taking the time to offer some sound advice!

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
maybe post your concerns in the diet forum
and start by getting that down
while you are gettin help there, search for fat loss, or weight reduction or something along those lines (titles only)
and see what training articles pop up...
more than likely you will have to try a few different routines before you find your balance where you arent burning all your muscle
for example, some advocate HIIT, high intensity interval training while others say a slightly elevated heart rate over a long period of time is better for fat loss...
for me interval training works best and i feel like i "lose" too much muscle if i go for long bouts of running/biking
good luck

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yes what type of cardio you so depends on your body type, I am an endo so when I am coming back from a hiatus in training I will start out with longer low intensity cardio and then introduce more HITT when I am more fit. I find the combination of the two work best for me along with a solid resistance training program.