Bench press technique

JTS22

Awards
Hello all, I’m trying to figure if what I’m adding to my technique is correct.

When doing bench and lowering bar, my elbows flare out to about 60+ degrees. Prior, I suppose I would just push the bar straight up.

Now though, it feels like I lead the elbows as in the first thing I do is bring my elbows in and tight - say from 60+ degrees to 45 and feel my chest contracting. Then I drive and the bar travels from lower chest to upper chest (if one were looking from overhead view)

I feel this significantly more in my chest and feel so much safer at the expense of my strength going down by a few pounds/few reps.

My question is does this *sound* like I’m doing this correctly or am I perhaps isolating/ over emphasizing a particular detail?

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It sounds like you are on the right track. There are tons of proper bench technique videos on youtube. Here are the things I think about when benching:

- Retract shoulder blades pinching them in the back
- Slight arch in my back
- Suicide grip (open grip)
- Elbows at 45 degrees
- Lower bar to bottom on sternum
- Push bar up with slight arc back over my chest

It took a while to get used to but feels much safer on the shoulders. Happy benching!

JTS22

Awards
It sounds like you are on the right track. There are tons of proper bench technique videos on youtube. Here are the things I think about when benching:

- Retract shoulder blades pinching them in the back
- Slight arch in my back
- Suicide grip (open grip)
- Elbows at 45 degrees
- Lower bar to bottom on sternum
- Push bar up with slight arc back over my chest

It took a while to get used to but feels much safer on the shoulders. Happy benching!
Thank you- just trying to verify.

I enjoyed j Johnnie shrieves pointers- shoulders away from your ears. Helped hit my chest and protect my shoulders

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hello all, I’m trying to figure if what I’m adding to my technique is correct.

When doing bench and lowering bar, my elbows flare out to about 60+ degrees. Prior, I suppose I would just push the bar straight up.

Now though, it feels like I lead the elbows as in the first thing I do is bring my elbows in and tight - say from 60+ degrees to 45 and feel my chest contracting. Then I drive and the bar travels from lower chest to upper chest (if one were looking from overhead view)

I feel this significantly more in my chest and feel so much safer at the expense of my strength going down by a few pounds/few reps.

My question is does this *sound* like I’m doing this correctly or am I perhaps isolating/ over emphasizing a particular detail?
Walk up to a wall and place palms on wall, lean into wall and do a “push up”. That’s the angle of elbows etc. and the retracted scapula and arc etc