What's up with Jon jones

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Edit: that's also why Pride was dwarfing the UFC back in their heyday. They understood that there's just as much spectacle as there is sport.
I miss Pride. Hopefully, Rizin does well and can be close to what Pride was.

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
Pride actually welcomed their fighters to take PEDs. (Check out the JRE podcast) soccer kicks were legal back then. Brutal! . Pride was vicious but 98% of their fighters would've tested hot on a UA haha. :) Wanderlei Silva in his prime during Pride is my fav of all time. He was a beast!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Pride actually welcomed their fighters to take PEDs. (Check out the JRE podcast) soccer kicks were legal back then. Brutal! . Pride was vicious but 98% of their fighters would've tested hot on a UA haha. :) Wanderlei Silva in his prime during Pride is my fav of all time. He was a beast!
Same with DREAM. I knew Overeem wasn't going to go very far in an organization that tests. I'm of the opinion though to just let fighters take whatever they want. If you're willing to put your life and health at risk for my entertainment, I'll watch.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PEDs weren't tested in Pride, which is true, but encouraged is a bit of a stretch. Soccer kicks, stomps, knees to a grounded opponent, etc. are still legal in certain organizations. Not every organization follows the Unified Rules that we have here. Pretty sure ONE FC allows soccer kicks still.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Steroids and such didn't always make for better fighters anyway. Sure there were some that would destroy opponents, but if you could keep your distance, the bigger dudes would gas out pretty quick.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Steroids and such didn't always make for better fighters anyway. Sure there were some that would destroy opponents, but if you could keep your distance, the bigger dudes would gas out pretty quick.
Baroni and Coleman, for example.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So does anybody think Saint Preux can pull this off? Seems like a weird matchup to me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So does anybody think Saint Preux can pull this off? Seems like a weird matchup to me.
They didn't have any other options. The others ahead of OSP were either booked or injured. Outside of landing a looping left, I can't see OSP having much to offer.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Damn, that was sloppy.
I cant believe they gave jones all 5 rounds. He didnt do anything the first two rounds and they gave them to him anyways. I hate the way Jones fights. Like theres no possible way the judges would ever give anyone a round against him. Drives me nuts.