Road to Recovery and competing...again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. Road to Recovery and competing...again.

Hey all,

So,if you've followed my past log then you know that i was training to compete in another powerlifting meet after a long hiatus due to injury after injury. However, today's training session re-aggravated my R SIJ and mid thoracic enough to where if i twist my torso it takes my breath away. Truthfully whats really frustrating is today at work, all i could think was, "I shouldn't train this afternoon" - because my mid thoracic irritation has been here since last Friday. So, had i listened to my conscious i may not have ended up in this predicament.

However, for log purposes here's what my MRI showed when i had the imaging done in 2016

Minor Disc bulge L2-L3
    Disc bulge at L4-L5 with disc abutted against nerve root
    Schmorl nodes at L1-L3
    Degenerative discs
    Umbilical hernia

Name:  IMG_1760.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  163.9 KB

I've been able to manage any pain/discomfort for the most part with specific core work, oblique sling warm ups and unilateral pre hab movements but I recently started a new volume meso that I believe I started with my % too high, after coming off a long macro filled with low, low volume and high intensity with peaking *twice*. So, moving forward I'm following Paul Carters "Prime 4". Its a very basic program with moderate volume split between four days of lifting (lower, upper, lower, upper)

Monday- lower 1
    -Tempo Squat *reenforce movement pattern
    -BB Hip Thrust
    *3-4 sets of ab wheel and pallof presses

Wednesday - upper 1
    -Bench
    -Chin-ups
    *3-4 sets of 10-12 biceps & triceps

Friday - lower 2
    -Front squat
    -Deadlift (block pull)
    *3-4 sets of stir the pots

Saturday- upper 2
    -Incline Bench
    -CG Row
    *3 sets lying external db flys
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-
    Week 1
    3 sets of 4 + 1 plus set w/ 2 RIR

Week 2
    3 sets of 4 + 1 plus set w/1 RIR

Week 3
    3 sets of 4 and a plus set

Week 4
    3 sets of 4 and beat last weeks plus set

Week 5
    3 sets of 4 and beat last weeks plus set

Week 6
    DELOAD
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-
    Every training session will start with the same pre hab movements which ill go ahead and list; i stole them from Dr. Stuart McGill.

10min power walk with arms swinging
    Pubic adjustment
    Side plank
    Bear crawl
    Dead bug

Ill be starting this with around 68-72% of my E1RM (so baby weight)
    Squat 345 - using 70% (240lb)
    bench 260 - using 72% (190lb)
    dead 400 -- im using 68% here for injury sake (270lb)

Paul doesn't mention the progressions so Im assuming this program is to build your rep work/work capacity, so the weight stays the same and the reps sky rocket on the plus sets over the course of five weeks.

Example:
    W1 squat 240x3x4 +7
    W2 squat 240x3x4 +8
    W3 squat 240x3x4 +10
    W4 squat 240x3x4 +12
    W5 squat 240x3x4 +15
    W6 deload and start with a higher % next block and rotate lifts

I'll be taking the rest of the week off to get my bearings back, hopefully recover semi fully and "deload".

Stats:,
    5'6"
    153lb
    30 years old

What I'm chasing is my Total from my meet in Feb of 2015, 1107lb @143.8lb
    Squat - 352
    Bench - 264
    Deadlift - 491

^This is discouraging reading it lol I remember when everything spiraled down hill after this meet! Broke my hand so i couldn't Squat (only front squat) couldn't bench or dead either. Then the cast came off, had a successful eight week block, then blew my back out on pin squats. Waited forever to get the MRI/imaging because i thought it was muscle strains (QL, erectors, glutes ...) and it would "go away". And since then I've had minor tweaks and re-injuries. It's time i slow it down if i want to actually step on a platform again.

TL;DR
    Injured back, rehabed, trained pain free for a while, re-aggravated lumbar, starting over.

Thanks to all who sub
    Be Easy
    God bless!
    *Psalms 62:1-62:2*
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

2. Subbed
    I mean if you really hate your balls, go for it. But, what did they do to you?
    •   

3. In for recovery. Hopefully, this will be a short log.
    I am hairy all over, like the crotch of a menopausal hippie woman.

4. To support
  5. Road to Recovery and competing...again.

Well sht man...I wasnt expecting to find all this when i went to check in on your old log. The mid thoracic pain is interesting...almost like a posterior costovertebral joint subluxed or dislocated or something the way youre talking about it taking your breath away. Does it hurt with deep breaths too?

Either way, im in too follow along. You know I wanna see you back out there on the platform.
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html
    •   

6. That sucks man. Good luck I値l be following along.

7. Quote Originally Posted by DemntedCowboy View Post
    Subbed
    Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    In for recovery. Hopefully, this will be a short log.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmass View Post
    To support
    Thanks team
    Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    Well sht man...I wasnt expecting to find all this when i went to check in on your old log. The mid thoracic pain is interesting...almost like a posterior costovertebral joint subluxed or dislocated or something the way youre talking about it taking your breath away. Does it hurt with deep breaths too?

Either way, im in too follow along. You know I wanna see you back out there on the platform.
    My wife said the same thing! If I知 laying down, it値l hurt when I take a deep breath if I知 standing not really.

She thinks I need to have a chiro look at it. Which I may end up doing today.. I couldn稚 even sleep last night, and turning motion and I would wake up from the pain.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Resolve10 View Post
    That sucks man. Good luck I値l be following along.
    Thanks bud and welcome!

9. In! You got this bro, easy does it. Impressive total at 143 lbs too btw! You値l crush that soon

10. Quote Originally Posted by SkRaw85 View Post
    In! You got this bro, easy does it. Impressive total at 143 lbs too btw! You値l crush that soon
    One day! May not be for a few years but it値l happen!

Thanks my dude!

11. SOunds a bit like when i dislocated some of my ribs from my spine in that car accident. If that is the case the Chiro might be just what you need for some quick relief.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html

12. You need to do the rehab work EVERY SINGLE DAY once inflammation has lowered enough to begin. No exceptions. You don稚 go to sleep without doing the work.

1. Get out of pain/remove cause.
    2. Find alternative movement patterns or solutions.
    3. Do the rehab, including frequent walking with hands moving, daily.

Buy The Gift of Injury if you don稚 have any of McGill痴 work; it痴 the most current:

https://www.amazon.com/Injury-Stuart...toL&ref=plSrch

You got this brother, and I support you 100%. You will compete again. Also, take a look at 10/20/Life. A lower volume, no bs program like you prefer and many with back injuries have competed successfully on it. Brian Carroll squat over 1,100 in 242 on it after being in your shoes.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

13. I def feel bummed for you bro...but crazy excited to ride along for the inevitable comeback.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    You need to do the rehab work EVERY SINGLE DAY once inflammation has lowered enough to begin. No exceptions. You don稚 go to sleep without doing the work.

Buy The Gift of Injury if you don稚 have any of McGill痴 work; it痴 the most current:

You got this brother, and I support you 100%. You will compete again. Also, take a look at 10/20/Life. A lower volume, no bs program like you prefer and many with back injuries have competed successfully on it. Brian Carroll squat over 1,100 in 242 on it after being in your shoes.
    Thanks bruv. I actually bought the gift of injury on pre order a year (or so?) ago, so I can go thumb through that again. And you池e right, I need to be consistently (every day) doing my aforementioned movements if I really want to mitigate any more flare ups or injuries.

15. Your spine sounds painful. Amazing you are still able to put up good numbers. You池e still a strong dude.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    You need to do the rehab work EVERY SINGLE DAY once inflammation has lowered enough to begin. No exceptions. You don’t go to sleep without doing the work.

Buy The Gift of Injury if you don’t have any of McGill’s work; it’s the most current:

This is my problem as well. I am bad about doing my rehab stuff every single day. Will take this as a kick in the ass myself to get back on my stuff daily. Only been doing it before I train that specific body part. It is these little reminders we need sometimes!
    Current Training Log -

17. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    This is my problem as well. I am bad about doing my rehab stuff every single day. Will take this as a kick in the ass myself to get back on my stuff daily. Only been doing it before I train that specific body part. It is these little reminders we need sometimes!
    I don稚 have to do any of that stuff anymore. But some will have to do it for life. Back injuries are never fair, but all I can promise is if you do the work, McGill痴 stuff is gospel. It works, because it痴 not XYZ rules but rather self-diagnosis principles with different action plans based on diagnosis, rooted in leading spinal science.

You may not be able to do anything or everything again as before, but most guys can find a way to meet/exceed previous performances. Example, just because you can稚 bench ultrawide or with a huge arch doesn稚 mean you can稚 PR with a closer grip and flat back.
    [email protected]

18. That痴 awesome @Hyde. I have to stay on the pedal with pre hab or this junk happens. I can say that I haven稚 had actual lumbar pain (disc related) in a LONNNG while, it痴 been my (R) SIJ popping under load.. which sucks.. big time. It shuts my lower body down almost completely from muscle guarding.

19. Quote Originally Posted by ELROCK View Post
    Your spine sounds painful. Amazing you are still able to put up good numbers. You池e still a strong dude.
    For the better part of last year I was pretty okay. Would have some set backs but nothing like the day I FELT my discs blow out lol

20. Quote Originally Posted by tyga tyga View Post
    That痴 awesome @Hyde. I have to stay on the pedal with pre hab or this junk happens. I can say that I haven稚 had actual lumbar pain (disc related) in a LONNNG while, it痴 been my (R) SIJ popping under load.. which sucks.. big time. It shuts my lower body down almost completely from muscle guarding.
    I remember watching the initial assessment videos of Carroll with McGill and he had a vertebrae split in half nearly or something crazy. I mean nobody can see the future but look where you got back to before this big pop. That makes me think it痴 something that can heal some, and built around.

Also, don稚 forget the BPC157 for both gut health and promoting systemic healing on a lesser level. It痴 like $30-50/week, but I would put that ahead of any other supplement if you have a budget. Safe proven legal & not WADA banned human amino found naturally in the gut.
    [email protected]

21. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    I remember watching the initial assessment videos of Carroll with McGill and he had a vertebrae split in half nearly or something crazy. I mean nobody can see the future but look where you got back to before this big pop. That makes me think it’s something that can heal some, and built around.

Also, don’t forget the BPC157 for both gut health and promoting systemic healing on a lesser level. It’s like $30-50/week, but I would put that ahead of any other supplement if you have a budget. Safe proven legal & not WADA banned human amino found naturally in the gut.
    I wish I could talk my wife into trying it for her stomach. I brought it to her attention but the needles freak her out...
    Current Training Log -

22. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    I wish I could talk my wife into trying it for her stomach. I brought it to her attention but the needles freak her out...
    It would be oral for stomach issues!
  23. Road to Recovery and competing...again.

Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    It would be oral for stomach issues!
    100% - you mix it then just squirt it into your mouth.

For localized recovery is when you use it subq, like I will on my bicep in several weeks.
    [email protected]

24. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    100% - you mix it then just squirt it into your mouth.
    But he cant stir it. Molecular bonding of peptides is weak. I would carefully put some drops into clean water and swallow. Not mixing with anything like juice -and not stirring.

25. Also guessing its best on empty stomach -sounds logical to me.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Rodja's Road to Recovery and Cut
    By Rodja in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM
  2. The Road To Recovery: Cissus, Anabolic Pump, and a Bad Shoulder
    By rolandajoint in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 10:54 PM
  3. Alpha Drive XL and My road to recovery Log
    By Jayhawkk in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 11:03 PM
  4. Cuffs' Road To Recovery...Let The Healing Begin!
    By Cuffs in forum General Chat
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 01:06 AM