Tyr's log, get in here.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
The following thread will be updates on my progress to being a better me. I started at 305lbs and have now gone down to 249lbs in the last 8 weeks or so. I have a somewhat unorthodox diet and will continue to update on meals, workouts, and anything else involving this mission of mine. I take criticism very well, so send it. If you see a potential problem with what i am doing, then lets discuss it because more than likely that objective view looking in can see things that i can not. i will post a picture of me at 300+lbs and ill post one of last week.
Goals:
Drop down to 230-235 lbs by Jan 1, 2018.
Drop down to 220 lbs by 6 months (unless I am building insane muscle).
To look better naked.
To get stronger.
I am 6'
249lbs
probably considered obese.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
First two are from the beginning of sept. The other two are last week.
tapatalk_1540491514323.jpeg
tapatalk_1540491519809.jpeg
20181025_045400.jpeg
20181025_045421.jpeg

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lets see if I can get a few people in here for you: hairygrandpa rtmilburn alphagainz SFreed Ulfhednar HIT4ME wesb2387 Tank999 DennisTheDane Juicedeez utz BEAST73 Alpha1agreda LeanEngineer coltonwalker Brandinooooo Sparkss blueline438 lifted67 smith_69 rtmilburn FireTitan alphagainz ChocolateClen justhere4comm matt8483 ryane87 nostrum420 mmorso HIT4ME thebigt Dirty Dan Bmac63095 TNlifting Matthersby Tank999 BloodManor angcd3 habajaba mmorso cwages TheMyth lukehayd thebigt Oconns28 jalfrey bloodnthunder jtmass Martyfnemec christ83189 GrizzleB BOSSMAN chedapalooza BennyMagoo79 Brienn8989 Tbl16 Bman1970 PoSiTiVeFLoW Cgkone LeanEngineer AntM1564 Newth hairygrandpa SouthPawSD christ83189 SkRaw85 flandersguy MrKleen73 Whiskey Cscott622 Hyde bloodnthunder Newth love2liftkat stacy1212 RickyBlobby bigbeaph JoePaul39 adammorrow36 Rocket3015 swimfan65

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice progress so far! In to follow

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You got a solid base! All I know is, I’m not wearing a diaper for losing the challenge

So, best of luck!

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
Awesome work brother. We are pretty much in the exact same position in our goals. Except I was 320 5'10, over year ago, then hovered at 290-300 for several months. Then I turned it up and lost 50lbs over the last 2.5 months or so. You got this man just keep it up.
A couple of things about losing too fast is potentially easy rebound if you let up for too long, and it can leave some unwanted lose skin, stretch marks, etc. But you look like you have some good muscle mass and your back looks like it will shape up nicely. I'm noticing the same, my back is shaping up and my ass doesn't stick out near as much.
I've been doing liss cardio for 45min to an hour before I do my 30-45mins of weight training 4-5 times a week.
I also do IF and try to stay around 35carbs, 25 fat, and 40 protein. Or at least carbs = protein. and most days im below 2000 cals. Or 250-500 below maintenance, according to my Samsung health app.
As far as supps go, I'm more of a non ph, aas guy. But I really like Radiate caps pre, and BPI BCAA SHREDDED intra workout. When I lost that last 50lbs, I was running 8 weeks True Shred, Radiate, and Recomp Rx. I plan on running TS, Radiate, and Assassinate after the holidays because it was a solid stack for me and I really want to drop another 50 lbs or so.
Even if you choose to not use supps, you got this! In for support and inspiration!

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In.
I see a lot of guys get obsessed with the numbers.
Keep strength a priority too. You look strong bro. Squats deads bench. Do at least one of those every workout.
Good job so far!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This looks like fun!

Slapoyjoe

I’m in. I lost over 70 pounds 3 years ago by tracking macros, lifting, and running. You can do this, man!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In. Maybe watching somebody else kickin a$$ will motivate me to get back at it

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
in for support. lets see what you can do, big guy!!!

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
It's really good to see all the support in here. I was actually worried that this would be another empty thread. So Thank you for being here. The following is this past week's workout sheet. Every Sunday i redesign my next week's workout to adjust what was too easy. I also do this because my body tells me some workouts, or super-sets are in the wrong places causing conflicting situations. An Example: I know that i have significant lower back problems. Therefore, I found out this week that some of the super-sets on deadlift-day hurt badly on leg-day. Enough so that it makes leg-day un-fun and non motivating. So i adjust. let me know what you think. I follow this plan fairly closely; however, i do add sets if I'm getting a good pump and I subtract weight if I can't handle it without a spotter (i workout at 3:30am hardly anyone there to spot).

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
wrkout5pic1.PNG
wrkoutwk5pic2.JPG
wrkoutwk5pic3.JPG
wrkoutwk5pic4.JPG
wrkoutwk5pic5.JPG

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It's really good to see all the support in here. I was actually worried that this would be another empty thread. So Thank you for being here. The following is this past week's workout sheet. Every Sunday i redesign my next week's workout to adjust what was too easy. I also do this because my body tells me some workouts, or super-sets are in the wrong places causing conflicting situations. An Example: I know that i have significant lower back problems. Therefore, I found out this week that some of the super-sets on deadlift-day hurt badly on leg-day. Enough so that it makes leg-day un-fun and non motivating. So i adjust. let me know what you think. I follow this plan fairly closely; however, i do add sets if I'm getting a good pump and I subtract weight if I can't handle it without a spotter (i workout at 3:30am hardly anyone there to spot).
doms are one thing, actual pain from lifting is not good. many times bad form is the culprit.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
doms are one thing, actual pain from lifting is not good. many times bad form is the culprit.
It very well could be. I do have some limitations as far as old military injuries. Without a doubt i do baby my lower back for sure.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It very well could be. I do have some limitations as far as old military injuries. Without a doubt i do baby my lower back for sure.
Dont let those old military injuries hold you back. The best thing I did for my injuries was start lifting again. I feel better, and have been off my cane for almost 5 years now.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Dont let those old military injuries hold you back. The best thing I did for my injuries was start lifting again. I feel better, and have been off my cane for almost 5 years now.
Thats incredible. How did you get over the days where it was unbearable? Any tips?i stopped taking alot of my pain meds cause i really dont like taking them unless i need to.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thats incredible. How did you get over the days where it was unbearable? Any tips?i stopped taking alot of my pain meds cause i really dont like taking them unless i need to.
I gave all my pain meds up. And as I lost the weight. I was 212 lbs at 5'9. Things started to feel better. I started eating right, taking my vitamins like I should, and started lifting and doing cardio. Remember, what they use to say in the military everday. "PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY". Use that as motivation. Go light on the weights and do more reps if need be, and make sure your diet is spot on. As I said, as the weight comes off the pain goes away. I still have my days. But, if I can come back from a broken neck, and back, and everything else I had. I know you can do it to brother. I'm not even suppose to be walking right now, and the docs told me not to lift anything over 5 lbs and to take pain meds. That got me to a bad place. When I went against them is when I found myself again.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
I gave all my pain meds up. And as I lost the weight. I was 212 lbs at 5'9. Things started to feel better. I started eating right, taking my vitamins like I should, and started lifting and doing cardio. Remember, what they use to say in the military everday. "PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY". Use that as motivation. Go light on the weights and do more reps if need be, and make sure your diet is spot on. As I said, as the weight comes off the pain goes away. I still have my days. But, if I can come back from a broken neck, and back, and everything else I had. I know you can do it to brother. I'm not even suppose to be walking right now, and the docs told me not to lift anything over 5 lbs and to take pain meds. That got me to a bad place. When I went against them is when I found myself again.
I really understand that. Really.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
I figured i would post up my diet before someone asks anyway lol. This was a previous post that i had on a different thread but it is still accurate so i will post it here:

I currently only eat one nutritious meal a day. Heres the crazy part... 500 calories only, every third day is a 24 hour fast. This schedule is every other week. The weeks that i eat every day is still only once a day and i up my intake to 750 calories. If i absolutely can not stand the hunger pains, then i will have a protein shake but never before noon. Its a complicated process, but a good friend of mine is a nutritionist (Dr.) and is monitoring my progress with bloodwork. So hopefully by Jan 1st, i will have lost enough fat to start body building again.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I figured i would post up my diet before someone asks anyway lol. This was a previous post that i had on a different thread but it is still accurate so i will post it here:

I currently only eat one nutritious meal a day. Heres the crazy part... 500 calories only, every third day is a 24 hour fast. This schedule is every other week. The weeks that i eat every day is still only once a day and i up my intake to 750 calories. If i absolutely can not stand the hunger pains, then i will have a protein shake but never before noon. Its a complicated process, but a good friend of mine is a nutritionist (Dr.) and is monitoring my progress with bloodwork. So hopefully by Jan 1st, i will have lost enough fat to start body building again.
It is a complicated process. I was certified in sports nutrition before joining the Army and let it lapse, I'm currently back in school to re-cert.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
It is a complicated process. I was certified in sports nutrition before joining the Army and let it lapse, I'm currently back in school to re-cert.
Im actually thinking of using the G.I. to go to school for it. It is, for sure, a complicated process. Lol

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Im actually thinking of using the G.I. to go to school for it. It is, for sure, a complicated process. Lol
Yeah used the GI for my Masters, this one came out of pocket

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Ouch...

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In. Thanks for the invite! I'm looking forward to your transformations. So far so great!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You are eating just 1 meal a day and just 500 calories per day? How much protein? What supplements are you using? What foods do you tend to eat?

Training - have you considered starting your week with either legs or back and then doing your chest and arms on day 2, and then doing whichever you don't do on day 1 on day 3?

That was a complicated way of saying:

Day 1: Legs
Day 2 : Chest & Arms
Day 3: Back

Or

Day 1: Back
Day 2: Chest & Arms
Day 3: Legs

I think that simple order change will help alleviate some of the interference between the leg/back workouts.

Interesting setup so far.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
You are eating just 1 meal a day and just 500 calories per day? How much protein? What supplements are you using? What foods do you tend to eat?

Training - have you considered starting your week with either legs or back and then doing your chest and arms on day 2, and then doing whichever you don't do on day 1 on day 3?

That was a complicated way of saying:

Day 1: Legs
Day 2 : Chest & Arms
Day 3: Back

Or

Day 1: Back
Day 2: Chest & Arms
Day 3: Legs

I think that simple order change will help alleviate some of the interference between the leg/back workouts.

Interesting setup so far.
My meal contains roughly 65-70% protien. This diet is in a cycle phase. What i mean specifically is this month of my diet looks like this. Every month it will adjust based on my bloodwork and body needs. The main goal, at this phase, is to drop as much fat as possible. As we track my body into a mode where muscle will not grow as effeciently, or i starve it out, then we focus on the gains. Once we are in that period, the diet changes to a slow ramp up of super foods (aiming at an 80-85% protein intake). My body is building now because i haven't been this active in a long time. Once that beginning goody goes away, its game time. We project that point will be around 225-230lbs. Naturally i wanna get 70's big, but i can't afford to not take into consideration that i need to drop a large level of white fat now.
I supplement based on my monthly bloodwork. We track normalcy levels and adjust dosage when the signs show it in a decline, or favoring a decline for that matter. Currently using glutamine (for obvious reasons) magnesium, sodium potassium, chromium, protien, throw in some fiber every once in a while. Huge dose of vitamin D & C. Im on milk thistle to support my liver (precaution. Possible Vit D resilance) and various things not as often. I do take chromium and Argentine and carnitine every night though. This will all change possibly in 3 weeks or so. We shall see. Thanks for your feedback and questions.

P.s i probably forgot some, but i think you get the jist.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
500x0.7 = 325kcal / 4cal = 87.5g of protein? Yikes! What gets the remainder of your allotment (175 kcal)

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
500x0.7 = 325kcal / 4cal = 87.5g of protein? Yikes! What gets the remainder of your allotment (175 kcal)
Very much depends on the day, but mostly pair up with greens and shrooms. Or greens supplement depending on time.

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Just got done with today's workout. I took HIT4ME's advice and did legs today. I also took a page out of Hairygrandpa's experiment "Unusual Training Technique..." by retouching on bi's & tri's, incline db, db flies, and bench. The re-touch of yesterday's workout was a little deloaded. They were worked just to the pump as my warmup for today.
WOD: retouch on yesterday's workout-deload as warm up.
Parrallel squats:
75%x8
75%x8
75%x5
85%5
85%x3
Stepups:
135x15x5
Leg extensions&curls:
Weight kinda eyeballed to a high level of intensity
15x4 (reps x sets)
10x2
Calve raises:
135 x 15 x5
Cardio- high intensity

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Awesome structure to your weekly workouts. I just know what muscle I’m doing when I enter the gym and handle it from there lol. Plus mirin the weight loss already, the hair and beard looks 10x better too

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Awesome structure to your weekly workouts. I just know what muscle I’m doing when I enter the gym and handle it from there lol. Plus mirin the weight loss already, the hair and beard looks 10x better too
Thanks man. I figured i had to shape up the wildman look to match my weight loss lol

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In on this for sure!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My meal contains roughly 65-70% protien. This diet is in a cycle phase. What i mean specifically is this month of my diet looks like this. Every month it will adjust based on my bloodwork and body needs. The main goal, at this phase, is to drop as much fat as possible. As we track my body into a mode where muscle will not grow as effeciently, or i starve it out, then we focus on the gains. Once we are in that period, the diet changes to a slow ramp up of super foods (aiming at an 80-85% protein intake). My body is building now because i haven't been this active in a long time. Once that beginning goody goes away, its game time. We project that point will be around 225-230lbs. Naturally i wanna get 70's big, but i can't afford to not take into consideration that i need to drop a large level of white fat now.
I supplement based on my monthly bloodwork. We track normalcy levels and adjust dosage when the signs show it in a decline, or favoring a decline for that matter. Currently using glutamine (for obvious reasons) magnesium, sodium potassium, chromium, protien, throw in some fiber every once in a while. Huge dose of vitamin D & C. Im on milk thistle to support my liver (precaution. Possible Vit D resilance) and various things not as often. I do take chromium and Argentine and carnitine every night though. This will all change possibly in 3 weeks or so. We shall see. Thanks for your feedback and questions.

P.s i probably forgot some, but i think you get the jist.
This is interesting. I would love to understand the entire plan. A lot of people will freak out over such a low calorie intake, but I have done it. Not quite that low. But I was eating 600-800 with about 120-150 grams of protein a day for quite a while. I took some heat for it on this board but not too bad. If you have a lot to change, you have to take action. It isn't the long term solution, but it will create change.

Are you getting stronger in your workouts? Maintaining strength? Losing some strength?

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Getting it!

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
i agree that it is extreme. I think what i like the most about it is that My main goal is to get to a heal;thy weight before i start ramping up my protein and caloric intake for the gain train. It is my belief, that by doing it that way, the muscle bulking will have a sharper look. I don't mind gaining weight so long as its 90% muscle bulk and not lazy fat. I refuse to be a fat turd anymore. I miss my old body and the ability to just do things. Ex: I used to be able to lift a fully dressed chevy 350 motor and stab it in the compartment (had to do it twice because my cherrypicker broke/deadlines). As far as I am concerned I am willing to do whatever, so long as i map it out and do it right. Mapping this holds me accountable. A year from now, my goal is have my sleeves tight and my strength back. I will work on typing up a full explanation of my diet plan/goals when i see my buddy (Dr.) whom is helping me track everything so i don't destroy myself, or goals in the process. He took my idea and backed a great amount of it with (progressive) science that is, honestly, above my knowledge base. I don't want to try and explain deeper aspects if i dont fully understand them because I would never forgive myself for discrediting his knowledge. Also, for fear of putting out the wrong explanation that someone might read in a year and end up formulating their own plan and getting hurt or something.

As for your question on muscle growth and strength; allow me to elaborate on my lift strength a bit.
When i first got in the gym, I decided to get a base on where I was. That way I could calculate my training regime off of percentages and track my growth/endurance etc. the following is what I have tracked and i am sure there are lifts that i should have included, but i deemed it necessary to take smaller steps at the beginning for fear of injuring myself and having to restart all over again. Also, with such an extreme diet, I found it wise to determine my limitations of one extreme first (diet) before adding another extreme (training). If it seems like i was sandbagging in the beginning, its because i was trying to be smart about it.
Beginning max values are as follows:
Bench-280 one rep (no back arch)
Squat-255 one rep (smart bar)
dead lift-225-one rep straight-bar(embarrassing) 235 with trap bar
single arm curl db-45 left arm (out front extension) 50 right arm
straight bar curl-110
zero unassisted pull ups-all pull ups were assisted with 80lbs deficit..(embarrassing)
standing press straight bar- 135
16 min mile (treadmill)

The following are current stats as of last week (5 week benchmark):

Bench-305 one rep (no back arch)
Squat-255 one rep (smart bar) i suspect form needs adjustment
dead lift-245-one rep straight-bar (again form...)
single arm curl db-60 left arm (out front extension) 65 right arm
straight bar curl-135
2 unassisted pull ups
standing press straight bar- 135 (i haven't bench-marked this yet).
7:30 min mile (treadmill)
I feel stronger and i see body changes. I would be lying if i said that i don't focus on arms more than everything else. I really enjoy arm/chest day. I really want to augment my up top.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A little late but here for support

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Smart bar?
I guess smart bar is a name brand. They are commonly called saftey bars. The one with handles kinda like a yoke

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In, wanna see progress!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wow! Fascinating and inspiring log, I'm in!

James Tyr

James Tyr

Awards
Daily update inbound. 30 October 2018-
Today was a very successful workout. I've decided to experiment a little this week by changing a few minor techniques of which my workouts are structured. If you've been following this thread so far, then i thank you for being here and please criticize away. I need that. I am continuing to apply a technique out of hairygrandpa's (HGP) experiment. If you haven't taken a look at that thread, I think it is worth your time.
A quick explanation on what I'm talking about. if you did chest, bi's and tri's yesterday, then you would hit those exercises again today, but at a de-load, or drop sets. The goal is not to go to failure on these muscles the second day. After you knock that out, continue on with your scheduled workout for today. Please correct me if i have mis-spoken HairyGP.
Due to the differences in nutrition values throughout the day between HGP and I, have decided to alter the method to fit into my plan. Instead of re-touching on the whole of yesterday's workout, I am only utilizing the main exercises that my workout are based off of.

For Example: If i would have had bench, curls, pulls downs, and DB presses as my main lifts on Monday's workout, then i would have utilized those same lifts this morning without all of the adjoining super-sets that i usually throw in. Albeit, at less weight and fewer sets, but its is a great way to warm up.
All of the super-set adjoining exercises will accumulate onto Sunday's workout. I am considering adding a Saturday workout to the list so I can spread those out over the two days. that way recovery can still occur. By hitting the lower body on Saturday and upper on Sunday, that may allow me to have adequate recovery for legs on Monday. we shall see.
The only other major change that i have implemented was combining all exercises into a higher intensity. If you refer to last week's workout sheet that I've posted before, you will notice that I color coordinate super-setting main lifts, but only two at a time. Then i hit all of the adjoining exercises (for those to lifts) in between the next set. Since I have now added the re-touch on yesterday's workouts, I am pressed for time. So, I alleviated that pressure by turning the entire workout basically into a circuit. The intensity made me puke this morning. I set a standard of 35 seconds of rest between every second set. All i can say is, I am glad no-one wants to work out at 3:30am. I took up a lot of space and looked like I had rabies moving around that place. I decided now was the time to amp things up and after doing more research on full body workouts (thanks to MrKleen73 advice on another thread) I've found that i can apply the same principle to a set supporting muscle groups. I.E. chest, delts,tris,bis etc. but instead of wearing out one at a time, I cover the entire spectrum.