Turning my lifestyle umop apisdn

umop apisdn

umop apisdn

Awards
Hi everyone, I'm Michael; a mid 30's Australian father desperately looking to lose a lot of weight, build some strength and get healthy.
I'm hoping to feel more comfortable and positive and get myself in a position where I can play with my son without losing my breath, confidently take my shirt off to go swimming in the summer, and just be a better husband by improving myself both mentally and physically. I'm sick of being stressed and feeling tired all of the time. I've got quite a journey ahead of me so I'm here looking for support, guidance, information, and inspiration.

My (heartbreaking) stats are currently;

• 178cm tall
  • 103 kg
  • Estimated 30+% body fat
I've recently quit smoking so that's a hugestep in the right direction. It's now been two weeks since I had a cigarette. I'm currently looking for the right gym for me in the local area, which I think I've found over the weekend and I'll be signing up on payday this week so I can get stuck in from next Monday.

In the meantime, I just wanted to get some help with my training and nutrition so I can hit the ground running. I've put together the below as a starting point for me and I welcome your thoughts and feedback.

Workout Plan

Base: 5x5 program

Monday A –
  • Squat (5x5)
  • Bench Press (5x5)
  • Barbell Row (5x5)
Wednesday B –
  • Squat (5x5)
  • Overhead Press (5x5)
  • Deadlift (1x5)
Friday A-
  • Squat (5x5)
  • Bench Press (5x5)
  • Barbell Row (5x5)
Alternate following week. Aim for a 2.5kg increase on every lift each session. Deadlift increase by 5kg each session.

Weaknesses; Upper/middle back and lower traps which have caused shoulder injuries in the past due to muscle imbalances. To combat that I plan to finish every session with;

• Face Pulls (3x10)
  • Straight arm overhead rope pulls (3x10)
  • Band pull aparts with external rotation
Perform above first two exercises as a superset. I got these ideas from an Athlean X video I saw on YouTube.

I've chosen the 5x5 approach because I don't want to overcomplicate it. I think to stick to the compound moves and focus on form is the best way to start, work my entire body, and I'll just slowly increase the intensity each week as my body becomes accustomed to training again. The rope superset will help me fix an existing issue that's caused issues before.

I had also planned on some high-intensity cardio after lifting weights like a sled push, battle ropes, and skipping or something along those lines. I appreciate any help you can offer on this side of my training! Yes, I want to build muscle and improve my strength but my primary goal, to begin with, is to lose my gut and the dreaded moobs and stop filling out my shirts in all the wrong ways!

In terms of nutrition I'm going to try and keep it simple with plenty of broccoli (I like to lightly fry in a little bit of garlic/chive butter), grass-fed steaks, chicken breast/thigh, salmon, and sweet potato, and fresh salads (lettuce, tomato, beetroot, carrot, avocado, cucumber, capsicum, feta). I like oats too and in terms of fruit I generally like to eat bananas, strawberries/blueberries etc. This is really where I could use the most support especially in terms of timings and portion sizes etc. The nutrition part is always overwhelming and that's probably because I largely overthink it. I need simplicity - especially with my long work hours and family commitments - and I need convenience. I don't mind preparing meals over the weekend if it means I can have a healthy lunch within a few minutes at work.

Finally, in regards to supplements I am looking to get at least four weeks of training under my belt before I start introducing anything additional into my body, however, I will be open to thermogenics or anything that can help my weight loss, mood, and recovery. What feels like many years ago I used to enjoy PES Alphamine Raspberry Lemonade so I've considered that to curb my appetite and help my energy and focus throughout the day and SELECT Snickerdoodle protein for after training - but I have noticed their Protein 4 Oats product which sounds appealing.

So that's me and that's where I'm at and my plans moving forward. I've obviously got a massive journey ahead of me but I know it's the right time for me to do this and I'm doing it for all the right reasons. I hope to have some of you along for the ride to help keep me motivated and on the right track.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In for your success! Sounds like you have a solid plan, go get it! Nice avatar too

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
?? I truly hope it all comes together

umop apisdn

umop apisdn

Awards
So, good news; I've officially signed up for 12 months to World Gym. They have a great set up and it's only 5-ish mins from my house.

I've also purchased a few pre-made meals from Core Powerfoods. All the meals are high protein and more importantly, will help with portion control as they're all 350g servings with approx 40-50g protein and 40-50g carbs per meal. I thought these would be best for lunch as I'll be working out in the evening so it should provide enough energy for my lifts.

I also found a great deal on Alphamine so I decided to jump at it at grabbed two bottles. I'll try some other fat burners once I've finished those. Unfortunately I couldn't get the Raspberry Lemonade flavour that I love but hopefully, the Strawberry Pina Colada is just as tasty.

I do have a question about the timing of carbs and even whether I should be restricting the amount I have per day? Or if I'm just reducing my total calories per day will that be sufficient for weight loss? All the pre-made meals I've purchased have rice or pasta so would I better off limiting my dinner to grilled chicken or steak with broccoli or should I have carbs post-workout and have a protein shake before bed?
FWIW I'll dose the Alphamine in the morning so I likely won't have any breakfast and I'll have another in the afternoon sometime post-lunch so it helps my workout without dosing too late to affect my sleeping (hopefully).

I'll post some pictures of myself prior to beginning my journey to hold myself accountable and to keep myself motivated to escape this deplorable current physicality and I'll log my workouts the best I can. The next step is the biggest and I'm really looking forward to it to be honest, even if there's a little trepidation.

umop apisdn

umop apisdn

Awards
OK, so no pictures yet because I need to work up the courage to post my fat ass on the forum but I've been sticking to my prep meals consistently and have started limiting my alcohol. I'm a big drinker - I drink every night, and I'm not talking about 1 or 2 glasses so this is important for me to cut down and eventually cut out altogether.

I had my first session last night and it went well. I started really light because I haven't lifted in over 2 years but I was happy with my form which was what I was focused on - just training my body to get the technique right before I start adding weight.

SQUATS: 5 X 5 AT 20KG/45LBS
BENCH: 5X5 AT 20KG/45LBS
ROW: 5x5 AT 30KG/66LBS

My tempo was quite slow and very controlled through every exercise in both eccentric/concentric phases. I kept my rest time to a minimum. It was maybe 60 seconds between each set. I didn't rest between exercises beyond changing my set up in the rack.

After this, I went straight into my face pull/overhead straight arm cable superset to work on those weak muscles and imbalances in my posterior chain. Again, not heavy at all, just the first pin but focused on proper form and that mind/muscle connection.

To finish off, I did 20 slams with the 4kg medicine ball and straight into 30s of skipping as a superset. I did this 3 times and then hit the bike just to loosen up my legs and keep the blood pumping before I went to stretch. I'm actually doing a YOGA class tonight at 7 PM as my muscle tightness has been the primary cause of injuries in the past so I'm trying to address that from the start so it doesn't hinder my results or hold me back once I start increasing the weights.

Next session is Wednesday with squats/overhead/deads. Actually really looking forward to it!

umop apisdn

umop apisdn

Awards
So I tried the YOGA class and I think I'll definitely stick with it at least once a week. I felt pretty good after a big long stretch and my core could do with additional work.

I had my second training session last night and although my legs are feeling it my form has been good and my squats have been deep. If I can maintain this technique as I add more weight I will be happy. So far no joint pain either which is a massive bonus.

SQUATS: 5 X 5 AT 22.5KG/50LBS
OH PRESS: 5X5 AT 20KG/45LBS
DEADLIFT: 1x5 AT 40KG/88LBS

Rest was minimal at 30-60s. I could actually add more weight to the lifts but I'm just trying to fully commit to the 12-week program and use the weights the STRONGLIFTS 5X5 app recommends to start with and keep increasing them with every session - even if I look ridiculous for now! I just keep thinking that I need to leave my ego at the door and in 3 months I'll hopefully be lifting more than 80% of the posers in the gym doing 20 variations of bicep curls every night.

After my lifts, I did my cable face pulls and straight arm overheads as a superset 3 x 10. I then went straight out to do 60 skips with 10 medicine balls slams using the 12kg ball. I also did three sets of this and finished up with a 1.5km ride to pump blood into my legs and had a good long stretch. So far so good! I'm resting up tonight, might just do some stretching at home, and then back to it tomorrow.

umop apisdn

umop apisdn

Awards
Just a quick update. My training is going well and I've been slowly increasing my weights every session. Certainly not doing anything impressive at the moment in terms of weight but the progression has been enjoyable and my form has been solid so far. I've been very consistent in creating this new habit and thankfully my wife has been very supportive.

I have SQUAT/BENCH/ROW tonight but just to update the log, on Monday I performed;

SQUAT; 27.5kg/60lbs
OH PRESS; 22.5kg/50lbs
DEADLIFT; 45kg/99lbs
FACE PULLS; the 3rd pin for 5 sets

I finished this off with 10 x kettlebell swings, 60 skips and a 10-20 second plank for three supersets, and of course, a good long stretch.

Diet has been consistent. I have my Alphamine in 400ml of water in the morning. I eat lunch around 1 pm which is generally a prep meal from CORE Powerfoods or Fresh Meals 2 U. They range from 30-50g of Protein, and 10-50g of Carbs depending on the meal. I try to keep the higher carb meals to training days. Dinner is generally the same and I'm all wrapped up within 8 hours of lunch, so I guess I'm intermittent fasting.

I'll have a protein shake in 250ml of water through the day, sometimes two. I'm currently using EHPLabs OxyWhey 100% Lean Protein in Ginger Bread flavour which isn't bad, but I have some Select Snickerdoodle and Peanut Butter Cookie on it's way down to Australia right now. I can't wait. I'll have another shake in water after training and sometimes I'll have a "Cookie Madness" cookie from Madness Nutrition on my walk out of the gym to tie me over until I get home and have my dinner.

In terms of other snacks when I'm feeling hungry, I've been having bananas or if I'm particularly hungry, two slices of Rye bread with a banana and two tablespoons of International Protein Pro-Nut chocolate peanut butter which is an awesome sandwich, I must admit.

Currently, during training, I have two scoops of Scivation Extend BCAA's in Watermelon mixed through 750mls of water. I've also ordered two bottles of PES BCAA's with my protein and grabbed the Raspberry Grape and Strawberry Breeze flavours. Can't wait to try them.

Most importantly, I have not been drinking. I had a glass of wine and a low carb beer at a BBQ over the weekend but I'm happy to say that's been the extent of my alcohol consumption for the last 1.5 weeks.

umop apisdn

umop apisdn

Awards
It's been a while since I've updated this log, so here's a quick summary of where I'm at right now.

Weight is down to 99 kg or 218 lbs at my last weigh in a week ago, which is about a 4 kg or 8.8 lb loss to date.

:dance:

So bearing in mind I started all my lifts at 20 kg/45 lbs except for rows and deads, I've been steadily increasing the weights every session. As of my last workout, I am now lifting;

SQUATS: 55 KG/121 LBS
BENCH: 37.5 KG/82.6 LBS
ROW: 47.5 KG/104.7 LBS
O/H PRESS: 35 KG/77 LBS
DEADLIFT: 70 KG/154 LBS

Most the lifts aren't feeling particularly heavy just yet but it's great to see some steady progression and feel strong while doing them. Form has been really solid and I got some tips from a PT to improve little bad habits and all those old niggling injuries are non-existent this time around.

I'm resting tonight but tomorrow is Friday and I'll be finishing up my week with SQUATS/OH PRESS/DEADLIFTS. What a way to welcome the weekend!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Subbed!

I’m in your corner on this! ?

I lost 27.5kg (60lbs) in 2016 over a 4 month period using a low calorie, low-carb diet with moderate fats (800-1,000 kc per day). Starting weight was 117kg (258lbs).

One of the major components to my weight loss was cutting alcohol out completely. It’s empty calories and doesn’t help reach weight loss goals.

Rather than lift weights, I swam at low to moderate intensity for 30 minutes every day to avoid muscle catabolism. I lost about 1.3kg (3lbs) of lean muscle mass while dieting so it wasn’t too bad. Lifting lightly should have a similar effect for you.

Keep your eye on the prize and you will achieve your goals!

Good luck!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed!

I’m in your corner on this! ?

I lost 27.5kg (60lbs) in 2016 over a 4 month period using a low calorie, low-carb diet with moderate fats (800-1,000 kc per day). Starting weight was 117kg (258lbs).

One of the major components to my weight loss was cutting alcohol out completely. It’s empty calories and doesn’t help reach weight loss goals.

Rather than lift weights, I swam at low to moderate intensity for 30 minutes every day to avoid muscle catabolism. I lost about 1.3kg (3lbs) of lean muscle mass while dieting so it wasn’t too bad. Lifting lightly should have a similar effect for you.

Good luck!
That’s an impressive weight cut! It truly is amazing how much of an impact cutting alcohol does to one’s body. Swimming is such a great activity and really does help across the board. Many strength athletes were former swimmers. The missing link....?

umop apisdn

umop apisdn

Awards
Subbed!

I’m in your corner on this! ��

Good luck!
Thanks for your support mate, and congratulations on your massive results!

umop apisdn

umop apisdn

Awards
So just a quick update, after my last post I was struck down with a pretty nasty virus so took a few days off training to recover and get back to my full health. I returned to the gym on the Friday just gone and decided to deload 10% due to the break from lifting and the stress my body may have gone through fighting the illness. I think this will be a smart move in the long run.

Good news is I finally got back on the scales, and my 99kg has dropped to 97kg, which is a total weight loss of 6kg so far.

I've been thinking I want to do a bit more in the gym recently so my current train of thought is to get my squats to bodyweight, which means my deads will be well over my bodyweight by that point, and then look at expanding my routine for more accessory work. sI think I will stick with a full body workout 3 x a week but change up the exercises each session. At this stage, perhaps something like heavy 5x5 squats Monday and more hypertrophy focused reps/sets on Friday. The Wednesday I can do more hamstring/quad isolation exercises with Leg press thrown in as the main lower body exercise maybe?

If anyone has any routine recommendations I'd love to check them out. I'll have a while before I get to bodyweight squats so it gives me plenty of time to research what's going to be best for me moving forward.