Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well, I’ve been a member on this board for more than half a decade at this point, so it struck me as a good idea to start logging some training here. I can’t promise you where this log is going, and I’m telling you now life will get mixed in some with the numbers, but it should be a fun ride! This isn’t a sponsored log - this is the tale of my wandering strength journey, wherever it leads: through the valleys of injury to the summits of personal victory, and all the long, winding road in between.

About me: 27, 5’10”, 230lbs, ~25% bf?

Been training seriously for 7 years now, zero athletic background, and have had a love for strength and lifting heavy since the first time I maxed out. Primarily focused on powerlifting the last 5 years, with the last year moving into more general strength training as I took up with a crew of strongmen.

Best lifts: 518 Squat w/ Sleeves, 336 Bench, 628 Deadlift, 235 Overhead

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
01/20/18

Alternated Front & Hi Bar Squat warmups up to a max single on front, then switched to reps on back

235+70 chain off ground at top
265+70 x2
265+105 x1

Front
265+140 x1

Hi Bar
265+140 x5
285+140 x5
305+140 x5

Axle Powerclean Once & Pushpress
155x3x3
165x3x3
175x2x3

GHR
2x15, 1x25

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
01/21/18

Db Rear Delt Flyes
15s 2x20
20s 2x20

SLDL
135,185,225,275,315,355x10

BB Row
185x12
225x10
245x8
265 2x6

Standing DB Strict OHP
30,40,50,60x10
70s 2x6

Lateral Raises
20s 2x15
25s 1x15

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Watching!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hell yeah, I am in!!!!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed bro, mainly for the pics of you in board shorts when you get down to 10% for your first men's physique show.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Subd to see ya grow.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Welcome everyone! Glad to have the AM fam around.

Subbed bro, mainly for the pics of you in board shorts when you get down to 10% for your first men's physique show.
??? Man don’t hold your breath for that!

I should mention that I am in the process of leaning down to get some fat off. I don’t have a fixed body fat % in mind but I need to lose 20 lbs at least

I’m at a point in my life where if I’m ever going to be something like 250-265 I need to get at it, because I’m not going to want to be that heavy in my late 40s. And I’m fat enough now that if I just push my body weight up I’m going to just accrue way too much fat (I’m basically as fat as I can stand now). I need to clean the slate some.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
01/23/18

Rear DB Flyes
15s 2x20
20s 2x20

Hammercurls
15,20,25,30,35s x20

Explosive Med Ball Presses
3x5

Bench
160x10
190x10
220x12

Seated Military
145,155,165,175 x5

Chins
3x12, 2x8

Ab Rollouts
2x15

Cable Tri Pressdown
30 hard reps, 25 easy

Sitting at 230.8 post training:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice training layout for this workout for sure.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also lots of new size there, can't wait to see what you look like down 20 lbs!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree. From his original post I thought he became “thick in the midsection” but no, he still has that V look.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agree. From his original post I thought he became “thick in the midsection” but no, he still has that V look.
Those shoulders of his are going to look ridiculous when he leans up... I think I might be jealous!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice training layout for this workout for sure.
Chad Coy lead our training group for the last year until he just moved, and he was a profound mentor. His philosophies on warmups have definitely helped.

General warmup->Dynamic Stretching->Neural Activation->Specific warmups->Work sets

You don’t get to 4th place in Masters WSM without taking your warmups seriously.

Amazing what a couple years of basics focusing on progression will do.

Not 8lbs ago lol

Those shoulders of his are going to look ridiculous when he leans up... I think I might be jealous!
Too bad my pressing is still weak

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Where'd chad move off to? And how long would you say your general warmup to work set #1 takes, roughly?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Chad Coy lead our training group for the last year until he just moved, and he was a profound mentor. His philosophies on warmups have definitely helped.

General warmup->Dynamic Stretching->Neural Activation->Specific warmups->Work sets

You don’t get to 4th place in Masters WSM without taking your warmups seriously.

Amazing what a couple years of basics focusing on progression will do.

Not 8lbs ago lol

Too bad my pressing is still weak
Doesn't look weak with the weight you have overhead in the picture above! Yeah those good warm ups are key. I have to get back into doing better about my warm ups. I do the General Warm Up and Specific Warm ups, but have been slacking a lot on the Dynamic stretching and Neural activation.

I think that happened almost as soon as I started focusing back on size instead of performance goals... Now I want to perform better and just have a nice aesthetic look. So it is time to start taking care of things more than just trying to make them look better. I need to start doing the warm up I was doing back then and also foam rolling my tight areas before training again.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Always, always have neural activations (well since I read “The Gift of Injury”) and specific activation before lifting. It’s really been the primary driver to staying healthy!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Where'd chad move off to? And how long would you say your general warmup to work set #1 takes, roughly?
He is now part owner at a huge fancy facility in Columbia, MO. He is also still employed as a head coach for Parisi’s School of Speed and Strength. We are going down to JDs Gym in STL Saturday to train with him actually.

20-35 minutes depending on how much preparation I need.

Always, always have neural activations (well since I read “The Gift of Injury”) and specific activation before lifting. It’s really been the primary driver to staying healthy!
That is exactly why I started taking it seriously. My past injury list is getting extensive and I’m only 27 with a training age of 7-8 years. Literally every time I start to get on a roll I strain something if I don’t have my body very prepared.

In the past 8 months I have popped both left and right QLs and suffered little tears in my left hammy and bicep. All things that are fine now, but they were all lessons.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cold is getting worse. Had no wind even with Bronkaid & took forever to get warmed up. Skipped axle powerclean & press and barely mustered the GHR I did.

01/25/18

Frontsquat
275x3
315x3
295+70 chain x5 PR

Hi Bar
345+70 x3
395+70 x1
295+70 x10

GHR
2x12

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I went to look at it, is this only for the back or do they go through things for the whole body? It is a $47 purchase so want to make sure it is not just back which I have not really had much issue with. Only when my pelvis is wonky.

He is now part owner at a huge fancy facility in Columbia, MO. He is also still employed as a head coach for Parisi’s School of Speed and Strength. We are going down to JDs Gym in STL Saturday to train with him actually.

20-35 minutes depending on how much preparation I need.

That is exactly why I started taking it seriously. My past injury list is getting extensive and I’m only 27 with a training age of 7-8 years. Literally every time I start to get on a roll I strain something if I don’t have my body very prepared.

In the past 8 months I have popped both left and right QLs and suffered little tears in my left hammy and bicep. All things that are fine now, but they were all lessons.
Yeah, I am tired of being beat up myself. Sometimes I make 2 even 3 steps forward them BAM back to the beginning it seems.

Cold is getting worse. Had no wind even with Bronkaid & took forever to get warmed up. Skipped axle powerclean & press and barely mustered the GHR I did.

01/25/18

Frontsquat
275x3
315x3
295+70 chain x5 PR

Hi Bar
345+70 x3
395+70 x1
295+70 x10

GHR
2x12
Ugh... that sucks go get some antibiotics or at least an inhaler. An inhaler will definitely help around your workouts if the work makes it harder to breathe.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
01/27/18

Drove down to STL to meet Chad Coy for a training session. He is always good for a serious push - Chad will help ANYONE, but you better not puss out. A true leader.

Axle Clean & Press
75,125,175,175,195x3
215x1 PR
225x1 PR

Logpress
90,140,160,180x3
200x2

Axle Standing Overhead Tricep Lockouts
5s up thru 215

Deficit Frame Deadlift (~hi handles on a trap bar height)
290,390,470,520x3
550x1

Keg Load ~58in
200 for 3 singles playing around

Frame Carry 50ft
Runs up thru 590 PR

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
01/27/18

Drove down to STL to meet Chad Coy for a training session. He is always good for a serious push - Chad will help ANYONE, but you better not puss out. A true leader.

Axle Clean & Press
75,125,175,175,195x3
215x1 PR
225x1 PR

Logpress
90,140,160,180x3
200x2

Axle Standing Overhead Tricep Lockouts
5s up thru 215

Deficit Frame Deadlift (~hi handles on a trap bar height)
290,390,470,520x3
550x1

Keg Load ~58in
200 for 3 singles playing around

Frame Carry 50ft
Runs up thru 590 PR
Great Lift and Congrats on the PR then besting it with another!!!!

I have really been getting interested in Strong Man training. Just looks like so much fun. I am going to have to invest in a 3 month membership at the only place right around here that really does it. See if going once or twice a week would be worthwhile, or get me addicted. LOL Actually contemplating getting rid of my squat / bench stand to put a Yoke in there instead. It can do both of those things as well!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Great Lift and Congrats on the PR then besting it with another!!!!

I have really been getting interested in Strong Man training. Just looks like so much fun. I am going to have to invest in a 3 month membership at the only place right around here that really does it. See if going once or twice a week would be worthwhile, or get me addicted. LOL Actually contemplating getting rid of my squat / bench stand to put a Yoke in there instead. It can do both of those things as well!
Thank you. For some reason my power clean was weak and just wasn’t happening, BUT my body instantly figured out how to continental clean it somehow. I spent 6 weeks struggling and failing to master the continental last August and suddenly I can just hit 225 continental absolutely no problem? I assume building my powerclean this last month transferred over.

Strongman training is for everyone, in moderation. Many qualities of the sport will help you live a stronger more capable life. Things like grip back hip and core strength, and work capacity. However, the competition is more damaging than powerlifting, easily. It is flat out dangerous, and crazy prone to injury. I watched 2-3 bicep tears at the open LOCAL show we went to in Kentucky with like 60 people. People powerlift inbetween blocks of event training to “take a break”.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
01/28/18

Gfs birthday - today was just a fun free-for-all in the gym to celebrate with lifting and baked goods!

Shoulder Warmup

Floorpress
Worked up to 215,230,245,260,265x3

Yoke
370,420,470,510 x60-80ft beltless

Startrac Shoulder Press
135/side x10
155x10
160x8
180x5, 4

Exergenie Truckpull Harness
4x50ft passes w/ increasing resistance

After training my gf and I had to load a 350lb Sandbag into a dumpster. Took us 3 max effort attempts, but we conquered it!

This is why I know she’s the one. Also, yesterday she rowed the 100lb dbs for sets of 5 with straps

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
01/28/18

Gfs birthday - today was just a fun free-for-all in the gym to celebrate with lifting and baked goods!

Shoulder Warmup

Floorpress

Yoke

Startrac Shoulder Press
135/side x10
155x10
160x8
180x5, 4

After training my gf and I had to load a 350lb Sandbag into a dumpster. Took us 3 max effort attempts, but we conquered it!

This is why I know she’s the one. Also, yesterday she rowed the 100lb dbs for sets of 5 with straps
Looks like true love to me!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
01/28/18

Shoulder Warmup

Floorpress

Yoke

Startrac Shoulder Press
135/side x10
155x10
160x8
180x5, 4

Tell Jess i say belated happy bday buddy! I know ive said it before but im happy for ya pal, shes a cool chick. Those who sandbag load together stay together...i think thats how it goes?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thank you for the kind words, fellas! She is my best friend, no doubt.

I am feeling beat up after this weekend!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
She definitely had the better form on that sandbag lift. Get it together Clayton! ;)

Wow hit the hundos for 5 huh, that is bad ass! Send her my belated birthday wishes.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Came across a post by Josh Bryant from a while back mentioning various training methodologies. Been reading Brooks Kubik’s DINOSAUR TRAINING today:

Brooks is a true believer in the Iron Game, as he calls it. I don’t agree with everything he says, but I have been enjoying the read immensely.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’ve been looking for a copy of his Gray Hair and Black Iron book. As an older lifter, I’ve read good reviews of his methods.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ve been looking for a copy of his Gray Hair and Black Iron book. As an older lifter, I’ve read good reviews of his methods.
Give me a little time I bet I can come up with a copy.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I just googled Dinosaur Training PDF and wham, copied to my iBooks in 5 seconds. Still loving it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
01/31/18

Rear DB Flyes
15s 2x20, 20s 2x20

Hammercurls
15,20,25,30s x20

SSB Parallel Boxsquat
242 vs Light Bands
8x2

Axle SLDL mixed grip
265x1x30 rest pause (12+8+5+5)

Bench touch ‘n go
175x12
205x10
235x12

Axle Seated Military
95,115,135,145,155,165x6
175x5

Axle Strict Curl
95,105,115,115 for singles

Ab Wheel Rollout
2x12

The axle work was inspired by Dinosaur Training, and was a very fun twist. My forearms are blasted. That 30 rep SLDL with the axle, however, was truly brutal.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve been adding pinwheel and hammer curls to my whatever days and hits helped tremendously on my elbow-itis I got going on (you mentioned hammers helped yours so I incorporated it).

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will have to look up the axle movements. Sounds brutal.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ve been adding pinwheel and hammer curls to my whatever days and hits helped tremendously on my elbow-itis I got going on (you mentioned hammers helped yours so I incorporated it).
I can’t remember the first time I heard of it, but HerderDude had good luck with it and when he was at a seminar with Swede Burns and Brandon Lilly they both said that was their go-to solution.

My working theory is the light high-rep cross-body hammers are pulling blood into forearms, biceps, and delts (you want a tad bit of delt English to get that pumping) so the shoulders are getting warm without the range of movements any other shoulder warmup requires. Anyone can make time for 2x20-30 with some 15-25lb dbs at the start of a squat or pressing session. Takes 1 minute total.

I will have to look up the axle movements. Sounds brutal.
Brooks believes almost all upper body work should be done with a thick bar, 2-3” in diameter, to build grip/forearm strength. Definitely makes curling and pressing a bit harder. Ours is 2” I believe and still makes a good difference. They also sell those Fatgripz attachments for somebody in a commercial setting without room for a cheap strongman axle bar.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So is Dinosaur Strength a book for older lifters or just a throwback name referring to keeping things basic and effective?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So is Dinosaur Strength a book for older lifters or just a throwback name referring to keeping things basic and effective?
Throwback to when lifting was about raw strength, to methods before steroids and powerlifting gear and the advent of bodybuilding.

He believes in training 2-4x wk for short sessions with only 2-4 movements basically as hard as possible in whatever rep ranges you choose. He believes in belts and good technique but no other gear, no steroids, and minimal volume. Working to a max daily single, one 20-rep deathset, heavy 5x5 all fall into the Dinosaur ideology. A widow maker squat set followed by working to a max on axle bench and then 1-2 brutal sets of a 6 rep pulldown in 45 minutes would be Dinosaur Training. He might also toss in some grip work and abs or calves that day.

Another session might be sandbag clean and press followed by farmers walks.

Kubiks believes you should be working so hard for a top set that you cannot really do more work. Things like pump work should be unnecessary if you train balls out. If there is one constant, it’s RPE 10 every session with low volume and infrequent abbreviated sessions.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Throwback to when lifting was about raw strength, to methods before steroids and powerlifting gear and the advent of bodybuilding.

He believes in training 2-4x wk for short sessions with only 2-4 movements basically as hard as possible in whatever rep ranges you choose. He believes in belts and good technique but no other gear, no steroids, and minimal volume. Working to a max daily single, one 20-rep deathset, heavy 5x5 all fall into the Dinosaur ideology. A widow maker squat set followed by working to a max on axle bench and then 1-2 brutal sets of a 6 rep pulldown in 45 minutes would be Dinosaur Training. He might also toss in some grip work and abs or calves that day.

Another session might be sandbag clean and press followed by farmers walks.

Kubiks believes you should be working so hard for a top set that you cannot really do more work. Things like pump work should be unnecessary if you train balls out. If there is one constant, it’s RPE 10 every session with low volume and infrequent abbreviated sessions.
Again sounds a lot like my old training but I beat myself to death with it. Perhaps with SMR and mobility being paid attention too I could do so. Then again like all my pump sets go to form failure and many go into total failure where even pulsing in the shortest ROM becomes almost impossible.

The Massive Iron book I read is very similar regarding getting the most out of every set performed, and everything is to a 10, IE no more reps could be done without cheating horribly. Which is what I have been doing on most things. Couldn't do it on chest movements the other day but went to a 9 twice then a 10.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Again sounds a lot like my old training but I beat myself to death with it. Perhaps with SMR and mobility being paid attention too I could do so. Then again like all my pump sets go to form failure and many go into total failure where even pulsing in the shortest ROM becomes almost impossible.
Something that bears repeating is the volume AND frequency is extremely low in Kubik’s system. He said a typical week would have 20-50 total sets, counting warmups for everything, over 2-3 sessions typically. Most people do that in one session. And NO isolation work is done, except maybe heavy calf raises. Everything is compound and explicitly no pump work, period. That leads to size but no extra strength.

The only high-rep work he promotes at all is 20-rep squats or pulls: