PROM Deadlift Program

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Hello all!

I have recently purchased George Leeman's Progressive Range of Motion (PROM) Deadlift Program (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T3GCnta3m4). It is a twelve week program for setting new PRs and has had some very good customer reviews. I haven't found any actual training logs for it, so I decided to do one here, on AnabolicMinds.

Because it is a program that costs money, I can't give away too much information on the workout and progressions, so I may seem conservative, though I figured I would share my journey with you and hopefully encourage more to follow him and buy this program.

My beginning stats:

Weight: 202lbs

Squat: 515lbs
Bench: 315lbs
Deadlift: 545lbs

4000 Calories:
-Protein: 300g
-Carbs: 400g
-Fat: 133g

This log will mainly consist of: how I am feeling before, during, and after each lift, how my progression is going in some of the actual lifts in the program, what are my likes/dislikes of the program, maybe some videos, my current stats, my goals, my actual PRs that I hit during the program and my final max when it is done.

I will try to convey as much as I can without giving away too much for Mr. Leeman's sake.

I actually began the program today, so I will make a post about it as soon as I am done posting this one.

Hopefully at least some of you will follow this and I will be able to help at least someone! Thanks for reading and Happy Training!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
So upon opening and reading the file that I got after purchase, I realized that there is A LOT to the actual workout. Nearly 20 exercises per workout.

Basically, it begins with a rack pull, followed by a squat variation, and then a deadlift variation. Mr. Leeman explains it more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rdbjr7d1AM

Just for a reference, I attempted a 565 pull on my last deadlift day and got it about an inch above my knees but couldn't lock it out.

I started my rack pulls feeling good. I came into the gym with a tight right hip flexor, though I don't think it held me back during my training. I began at 135lbs and moved up 90 lbs after each set until I hit my top set of 625 for 10 reps. I don't normally rack pull but they felt great. (I got some looks from fellow gym members for the clanging and banging on the pins though).

After my top set there, I moved to my squat variation. In the program, Mr. Leeman gives you recommended weight to use for each lift based on your current conservative deadlift max. This was a humbling experience because I had to begin this program with a 275lb squat for reps (after my warmups of 135 and 225), while I am used to not often going under 405 on my regular squat days. Quick set there and then I was off to my deadlift variation.

Again, with doing this deadlift variation relatively late in the workout, you cannot let your ego get in the way. I stayed where the program recommends and began this at 315lbs for reps. Lemme tell ya, that was some cardio for me haha I was fully out of breath after these. I didn't do any warmup deadlifts before this and was working in with other gym members for a quick set. For both this and the rack pulls, I tried to stay away from gear, only using straps on my heaviest sets and not using a belt at all for the entire workout.

The rest of the workout was intense. Mostly considered, "accessory" work, it literally hit just about every muscle group in my body either one way or another. I also don't do religiously isolate my cored during a workout so I am sure that I will be sore tomorrow.

The places that I mostly feel it now are my core, traps and low back, with my hip flexor still being very tight. I'll let you know more tomorrow. Overall, the workout was just over two hours. Love it so far. Will check in more when I feel it is necessary.

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Woke up today and it hurts to move my arms because my traps are so sore. I normally do shrugs during some lift during the week just because I like them, but this workout left them real sore for some reason. Low back and core are the only other real sore places.

I have a bench day today so hopefully none of my soreness will hold me back much.

My goals for the end of this program are to finally pull 600, which sounds feesable (though high), based on other reviews I have heard from people so I'm really looking forward to it!

That's all for today, probably won't be doing the program again until around Friday or Saturday so, unless something pops up that I would like to say, that should be my next check in. Thanks for reading!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed too

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Ran through the program again this morning and it was great; fueled by a cheat meal last night from food at a seafood buffet at a resort in PA. We went there for my dad's birthday with my family and the massive amount of carbs I had felt great haha

I digress...

Overall lift was about 2 hours and 25 minutes. My only real rests were changing weights (which took a while for rack pulls because I was by myself).

Traps were still sore until today but once they were warmed up, I was good. As I said, I normally shrug during the week, but they are almost always heavy and isolated movement shrugs because I like it. Big difference in this program.

Pulled 625 from lower pins for the same amount of reps as I did last week. Not sure if I was just being a baby last week and didn't push myself, the carbs really helped that much, I'm just getting used to rack pulls, or I actually got stronger?? Either way, they felt solid.

Went up in weight in my squat variation but got less reps (naturally). I didn't do any warm-ups for this but it still felt fine. I always start my lower body lifts with about 45 min-an hour of warm-up stretches and like 5 minutes of, "cardio" just to get my heart pumping.

The deadlift variation was solid. Went up in weight as I was told to do but still hit the same amount of reps. Along with this program, I am trying to tweak my form a wee little bit. The only thing is me trying to keep my butt from raising before the weight moves and push with my posterior chain more (as a powerlifter should (Mark Rippetoe would yell at me because he stresses a deadlift should be strictly a pull... I disagree for powerlifting though)) and to keep my shins more upright, which I feel i have relatively accomplished today.

My accessories were quite the workout. My forearms really felt it today because Mr. Leeman gives you set ranges, and i went for the max sets on most of my accessories today, as opposed to being both drained, and in a bit of a hurry last lift.

I know it has only been my second lift but I already feel more improved and the more I think about it, the more I really like this program and can see how it would work well.

Well I'm hoping I won't be in too much pain tomorrow! Hope ya enjoyed! Still have a few more lifts until I am supposed to test my max but I am excited and will be sure to let you know! Happy Training!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Sorry for the late post folks! I just started class back up again and moved into my new apartment and haven't had wifi until just now! Still no cable of course (I hate Comcast). They're sending a tech Friday so hopefully they'll actually do something.

I ran through the program last Friday (my last lift at home), and the first thing that I have to say is, I do feel as though I already feel I have a stronger deadlift. I haven't ran through the entire range of motion (PROM is Progressive Range of Motion), though I feel like I could maybe hit 565 at this point. I don't want to max yet until I get pretty far through the program. Like I said, shooting for at least a 600 lb deadlift by the end of the program. I would like to max at least once before the end and go for something like 6 plates (585 lbs).

As far as the program goes: the program called to move the pins lower, once again, on rack pulls, which brought it down past me knees, though keeping the same weight. I really felt it in this lift, and it showed because I could only get the usual weight of 625 for 4, as opposed to my usual 10 reps. I could tell that I lost my form pretty hard. Feels like I strained something in my mid back, though I'm sure I'll be okay.

Squat variation was definitely a challenge, up to 315 for high reps and very deep. I feel like the sets and reps that are given don't work me as hard as I should/could be worked. My only criticism so far would be for there to be more sets in some of the lifts and maybe less overall exercises. Jumped to a heavier weight this week on the deadlift variation. Really felt good this week for some reason. Better than usual! Got some looks of admiration as well! That's probably my favorite part of the workout.

Assistance work was the usual. Traps are starting to get more used to the work and intensity. Just did 615 for 8 halfway decent reps on the trap bar today. That was fun hah first day back on preworkout had me pumped.

Not too much to say this week. Excited to do the program at our school gym!

Let me know if anyone has any questions or if anyone else is doing this program and has comments on it! I am interested to hear! Thanks for reading!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm subbed. A couple questions: what did you set as your conservative max and how long will this program be going on (how long until you expect to be able to pull six?)

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Awesome! Thanks! I set up my conservative max as 525. I do feel that I probably set it a little high. I have been told to do around 90% of my real one rep max (545 lbs), which would dial it in right around 490 lbs, but I still stuck with 525 (about 95%). If I could go back now, I probably would have stuck with something like 490-495.

To answer your other question, the program is made to be a 12 week program (though I am sure it could be run for a longer or shorter time). My goal is to hit 600 near the end of that 12 weeks. In the program, there are different parameters that the trainee is instructed to follow for a progression until they are supposed to max. I am assuming mine will take about 3 months so around the time that my school semester is over, I will shoot for 600 lbs.

Thanks for the questions! Please, keep them coming! A big reason that I am reviewing/logging this program is because I have had the urge to maybe start some sort of AAS cycle soon. I feel that I am still too young, at 20 years old, and I still have a whole lot in me until I hit my natural limit. I'd like to stay natty as long as I can. Reviewing this program will help me to stay off so I can give an honest opinion and honest results from it! Thanks again for the support and input. Any opinions on that matter are also welcomed, though I know this is not the anabolic section.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Stay natty. If youre almost to 600 lbs natty imagine what you can do if you use AAS down the line in 5+ years.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay, Now it's making more sense to me. In the first post I thought I saw that your max was 515. I was a little worried about your starting point and timeframe. Still might be worried about making 55lbs in twelve weeks, but even still, a PR is a PR. Personally, it took me a year to go from 550 to 600. But I did have to break my form down to square one and start over again. 600Lbs is a huge milestone, I hope you make it! Just don't be met down If you "only" end up at say 575 or so.

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Stay natty. If youre almost to 600 lbs natty imagine what you can do if you use AAS down the line in 5+ years.
yeah, that's a big part of it to. I feel like I still have a while to go to make some serious gains. Thanks.

and alright, thanks for the input herderdude. Yeah, the more I think about it now, the more I feel like it may be a little much but hey, they say, "shoot for the moon" right? I have been trying to tweak my form little by little as I go through the program as well so that may factor into it as well.

thank you folks for your responses!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Had to drop the weight this week but also dropped the pins again. Dropped to 565 and hit it for a double about 2 inches from the ground. Really more like a block pull but damn, it felt good. I was able to keep my back much tighter and more rigid than usual and my butt didn't pop up upon the initial pull. I was able to feel my posterior chain really working. Not sure if I can attribute that to a muscle mind connection where I am consciously thinking of keeping my form more correct, for the first time, or if I am actually getting that much stronger. Either way, they felt great.

Squat variation was struggling. I went for a PR last squat day and nearly hit 545. I always hate to blame it on a spotter but I asked the biggest guy in the gym, hoping he would know what he was doing, for a spot... and that was a mistake. I shot out of the whole with crazy speed, past my sticking point, and the random spotter got scared, grabbed me by my lats, and pushed forward, trying to pull me upward. Literally toppled forward and rolled 545 lbs over my neck and head onto the safety bars. He apologized and said that it was his fault and I had like 3 other people tell me that I would have got it. Maybe I woulda got it, maybe I wouldn't have but oh well, what am I gonna do? Squats were still strong and deep though.

Rant over. Deadlift variation was strong. Went up in weight and only hit one less rep. Couldn't do all the assistance exercise at the school gym because of broken equipment and lack of some equipment but I tried to supplement exercises where I could. I have been trying to go up in weight on most lifts, even though the program doesn't always exactly call for that.

Lift was about 2.5 hours. Feeling sore all over today, though my traps are really getting used to it. Had some trap cramps during the lifts due to those heavy trap bar shrugs earlier in the week. Low back is feeling it real hard from a plethora of things, though I have never done weighted hyperextensions before, until this program and I am now doing them with around 165 lbs for high reps, so I feel that may be a big contributor to it.

That's all for now! Comcast guy that I was talking about just showed up so hopefully I'll get some cable. Still have a few more weeks until I max I think but I'm excited for it. Will keep y'all updated! Thanks for reading.

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Sorry again for the late post. Just got a job through an old athletics gym I used to train at, as a trainer, so I have been real busy with that and classwork and actual training myself.

I ran through the program again last Thursday I think it was? Long time ago... anyways, I was to drop the pins again today, though I was on the lowest during the last workout so I had to stand on plates today off the bottom pin. Again, this was more like a block pull from something like a 1" block to maybe even a full ROM deadlift. I was able to pull 515 for a solid 4 reps with this ROM. Before beginning the program, I could only pull 495 for 3 from the floor. Maybe that ~1" range of motion helped a little bit, but probably not ~20 lbs worth so I would like to say that this proves I have gained some decent strength. They felt solid too. I wasn't having the best day so maybe on a good day I could have gotten more reps with it.

Due to the layout of the program, I had to take out the squat variation this past workout and will not be adding it back in on this cycle.

Jumped to 385 on the deadlift variation and hit it for a solid 10. Feels like my cardio gives out before my legs and back but I keep pushing (of course). Planning on going up again next week to 405.

A lot of the machines have been fixed at my gym so I was able to do pretty much all of the assistance exercises. I had been leaving out the 19th exercise, the dumbbell stomach push out, because I had not known what it was, nor could I find it on the internet anywhere, until one of Mark Bell's (I think it was) latest videos where Mr. Leeman explains it. It's really a good way to practice bracing your core, as you would against a belt. To perform it, you just lay on a flat bench and set an appropriate weight of a dumbbell on your stomach, and brace your core against it, as you would against a belt during a deadlift or squat or bench or row or whatever you may be using a belt for. I believe you brace, hold, relax, brace, hold, relax and on and on... Again, you can find more on this in a Mark Bell video that I can find the link to and post later.

All other accessory work was good and strong. Slowly going up in weight.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like me to talk about during this log and review. This is my first log of anything that I have done and could use any constructive criticism I can get. Thanks for reading!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Sooooo.... I stopped a little early (will be resuming from where I was this week) and set a 20lb PR at 565! Only 5 weeks (lifts) into the program! I went in today feeling good, but not real into it, yanno? Like when I usually set PRs I don't want to talk to anyone, I just warm up all pissed off and angry. Today was a bit different, as I wasn't really feeling the pissed off feel. I was back at the gym by my house and was just glad to see everyone.

My warm ups felt good and 495 was light as hell on my way up. I jumped from 495 to 565 (any opinions on that jump? Should I have hit something in between? Or maybe a bigger jump?) and took a long break in between. I actually missed 565 this first time. My buddy got a video (I didn't know he was filming), and I took a look at it and my form was pretty atrocious I think. I pull conventional and yes, I know form starts to go (for the most part) and hips pop and back will bend some on a DL PR, but it was pretty ugly. I will post that video and hopefully you folks can let me know watcha think.

I then tried it again about 10-15 minutes later, mentally focusing on correcting my form and hit it! I had decent speed off the floor but once I get to the top (as you can see in the video, in which I fail, that I will post) it slows down drastically at the lock-out. I got real into it from my music and what was going through my head and just went for it, while my buddy was getting a drink so I did not get a video of it, but I feel that my form had to be a lot better. It was still a grinder, but a PR is a PR.

I then went back down and hit some back off singles all the way down to 225, trying to correct my form. Here is the video my partner got of me on a 495 back off single: https://instagram.com/p/70Zu7Zocb6/?taken-by=ctoph11 Please, feel free to give any constructive criticism and let me know what I can do better, whether it be mental cues, bar path, certain muscles to flex or unflex, etc.

Thank you guys for reading and following me through this program. As I said, I will be continuing where I left off this week. Thanks!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
[video=youtube;vUYyXqhJ-a0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUYyXqhJ-a0[/video]

Here is the 565 miss. Again, feel free to critique anything. I know many of you on here know much more than I do myself, so I am all ears. Just please don't rag on me for looking like hell haha thanks!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Destroyed today's workout. Wasn't sure where to start with rack pulls because the wording seems to be a bit ambiguous once you get to a certain point in the program... I will email Mr. Leeman and ask him about it today. Had some personal issues in my life and have had some amazing workouts these past few days, being fueled by that.

School gym was closed today because we're getting new equipment (whoo!) so I went back to my gym by my house and killed the workout.

I just ended up starting with rack pulls right in the middle of the knee cap. Pulled 545 for 8 with straps and immediately grabbed some chalk and finished 6 more reps. Only about a 10 second rest in between the two. I think I could have gotten 515 for 14 without the gap, but I couldn't hold on any longer. They felt amazing today and my entire back will be feeling it, in a good way, tomorrow.

The deadlift variation was amazing too. Went up another 20 pounds and hit 405 for a forced ten reps. That is probably the highest that I will be able to hit 10. Again, I don't think I could have gotten this without the motivation from life haha felt it in my entire posterior chain.

Really felt the leg press today more than usual as well. Hit 9 plates for 20 with some real good tension in my hammys. Almost collapsed on the last rep but I fought through it.

All of the other lifts were good today.... watched some of George Leeman's videos the other day and during my workout today, I realized that his girlfriend can do more weight and more reps on Yates rows than I can........ wtf lol I'm not emasculated though; she's a beast.

I've said it before and I am going to say it again, I can definitely tell that my entire body is getting stronger and I would recommend this program to anyone. Thanks for reading!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Started to go through the program again on Sunday... hit 515 rack pulls from about 2 inches below my knees for 7 reps, after warming up, adding a plate every time. I didn't do much stretching or warming up, other than some shoulder mobility and the rack pulls.

I started to walk over to the deadlift area to get started on my deadlift variation when I spotted a group of my friends deadlifting with the new bumper plates we got. They were having a mini contest and trying to outpull each other and just having fun, so I skipped out on the variation and started pulling with them. The highest any of them went was 500, with one attempting for 545. I was astounded at how easy it was for me to walk right up and pull 545. No trouble off of the ground whatsoever and no real trouble on the lock-out. They wanted me to go up so they could have a show, so being my big headed self, I went up to 565 again this week. Same exact thing happened as last week. I looked about the same as I did on my video that I posted, missing the 565 lift just at the top, and then hit it after about 10 minutes of rest, granted it was pretty ugly. After that, I was exhausted so I ended it there for that day.

I came back yesterday and finished off the program, which still took me almost 3 hours, without the rack pulls or deads. Felt good but today my back is absolutely killing me. I can't sit still in class because of the pain. Not sure if I am sore, or I reinjured myself on the 565 or if I just slept wrong. My sophomore year of high school (4 years ago) I fractured my spine (L5) and slipped a disk playing basketball. I took a charge on a 300 something pound guy and he landed on me and I landed on my behind and that was it for contact sports. I get the occassional pain still, but nothing like this. I'll probably ice and stim it when I get done with class today and hope it gets better.

Anyways, all of my lifts have been going up. Finally consistnetly breaking the 315 bench almost every workout now and I hit 495x4 on squats last week. It's obviously not just this program, but I can tell the PROM program is helping out at least a little with the small things. Thanks for reading folks! Happy Training!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Sorry for my lack of posts folks, I have been swamped with work. Not sure if I said this earlier but I'm an exercise physiology major going the pre-med route, plus I work as a personal trainer, work retail at an outdoor sporting goods store, and cut grass so I have a lot on my plate right now.

I am back yet again to say that this program is pretty crazy though. I have been hitting it hard and have recently progressed to taking out the rack pulls first, and just beginning with deadlifts which has brought me to hit a 495x6 PR from the floor. My previous best that was close to that was 495 for a shaky 3 reps with a 4th hitched rep. Bodyweight has been about the same, close to 205. Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped.

Not that I am in it for the aesthetics, but I feel like my back has gotten much wider and thicker from this program as well. Looks pretty solid.

Overall, I'm feeling good and really attribute this increase to the program. Couldn't ask for much more. Hope all is well with y'all and thanks for following!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Also, the deadlift variation has been taken out, if you couldn't infer that. I am just starting with regular conventional deadlifts now.

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Hey all! So a little over two weeks ago I was squatting and going relatively light, and heard a pop on in my low back, around my sacrum. It has been giving me problems since then. I hadn't said anything on here because I was hoping it would get better before anyone would really notice or mind that I had stopped posting. Unfortunately, it is still giving me problems when I bend over in pretty much anyway, so, trying to be mature, I have taken some time off of low body exercises. It is slowly getting better through my own self-care though. I feel I should be back soon and will probably restart the program from the beginning, though adjusting my conservative max to match what I ended with after this program, at 565 lbs. Thank you for your understanding and thanks for the following thus far.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Learn about lower back rehab to get back out there faster and give yourself a refresher course on breathing and bracing to make sure it doesn't happen again anytime soon. I do low back prep 2-3 times a week and have to start from scratch on breathing and bracing about once a year.

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
For sure herderdude, thank your the tips and your response. I will definitely do this and try to stay safe however I can. Back is continuing to feel better as I go on and do self-rehab. Having a home stim machine helps too. It is beginning to feel like I can come back soon, but I am going to play it safe a bit longer until I am confident that I will not be hurt.

Thanks for understanding folks! I'll be back soon!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Update: did about 8 inch rack pulls the other day with 225 lbs. and felt great. No pain. I tried deadlifting yesterday and felt fine the entire time. Went up to 405 for low reps just to test it out. Pulled both conventional and sumo to see how they felt and I was good. I woke up this morning, relatively pain-free. It still hurts to sit with my torso and hips at a certain angle but leaning forward is fine. I have been doing lots of ice, heat, stim and stretches and will continue to. I am going to attempt some light squats tomorrow to see how it feels. Even if it is good, I will take a bit more time off of the program because of how demanding it is. I will be back soon though. Thanks for sticking with me!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Update: feeling good lately. Only slightly hurts to sit for long periods of time. I have been rehabbing a lot and talking with others on preventative care and bracing cues/exercises. I will be squatting today and may test it out a little. If all is well, I will restart the PROM deadlift program within the week. I will calculate my starting numbers using a 565 max, counting my conservative max as 510 (but will maybe drop to 500 due to my time off). You should start seeing more posts again soon! Wish me luck! Thanks!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Restarted the program yesterday and wow, do I feel great or what. Pain free workout and was very intense. I have been watching a lot of videos of Mr. Leeman and Supertraining gym and it really helps to see how he wants each of these exercises done, as he explains a lot of the workouts (as well as others) in these videos.

Update on personal stats:

Weight: 205lbs (definitely leaner than before)

Squat: 530lbs (+15lbs)
Bench: 355lbs (+40lbs)
Deadlift: 565lbs (+20lbs)

4000 Calories:
-Protein: 300g
-Carbs: 500g
-Fat: 89g

Started rack pulls with a short ROM, as the program calls for, and felt awesome. I started my rack pulls at lower than the weight that I started at when I began the program the first time. Yesterday I hit 605 for 13 which was failure. Even with wraps, my grip kept failing. They became extremely sweaty through the set, which, I think, is what made me keep losing it. Next time I will have to chalk the wraps too.

Squat variation was pretty awesome. I usually don't like it, but I went to complete failure and had to drop the weight on the pins. I started higher in weight this time with the squat variation as well, as I felt I was shorting myself of hard work last time by playing it safe. I did 305x15 I'll keep y'all updated on how this goes.

Deadlift variation had people staring, as always due to me getting tired as hell in the upper reps and just dropping the weight. I started higher than last time with weight as well. I did 335x15 but was definitely able to do more than that. The program called for me to stop at 15 with that weight though, so I did. Will definitely be going up in weight next time.

Accessory work really killed me. My traps are going to be sore for a while because of the shrugs, despite the fact that I normally shrug heavy as it is. Weighted hyperextensions were awesome. I started relatively low in weight and did 15 reps each time with a nice and solid squeeze. Also, this was the first time I hit core as a strength workout (as opposed to core integrity and stabilization for my back) since I injured my back a few weeks ago, so I'm definitely feeling it there.

I am excited to see what I get out of the program this time with starting higher in weight on some lifts and understanding more how Mr. Leeman wants the exercises to be carried out. Overall, it was about a 3.5 hour lift, without much rest in between. I always try to not talk during a workout, as it usually takes away from my intensity (personally) so this workout was pretty straight through. I also got some stares because I was eating pop-tarts during my lift in the gym, as it was on my day that I don't track macros.

Well thanks for reading! I will be back to posting after every workout and will keep y'all updated on how everything is going!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
605x13 damn dude. And poptarts at the gym, i may steal that.

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Don't give me too much credit, it was a very small range of motion haha but yeah, it was my first time having the chocolate peanut butter ones and they were great. Was a good decision.

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
So I hit it again today after my personal fitness class at school. Was still a little sore in the hamstrings but that didn't limit me whatsoever. I felt good but got kind of tired about halfway through because of my lack of food today. I was really busy and running off about 1500 calories for a 3.5 hour workout.

Not sure what got into me, but I changed up my rack pull form today and killed them. Hopefully I'll be able to carry this over into deadlifts too. I lowered the pins and the bar was sitting right above my knees. Instead of bending my knees pretty hard with the pull, like I usually do, I kept much more stiff legs and used most of my back to get the weight up, which I think is something that I should be doing on my actual deadlift too (many people have told me that). Because of this, I was able to hit 605x11 without a long pause (only pausing for ~1sec on the pins) and continued to keep going to do 605x17 with 5-10 second pauses between each rep. I don't know if I was just being a baby last workout and didn't push myself, or if changing my form really helped that much, or if it was just one of those days where you have a good lift, but I'm not complaining.

Squat variation was harsh. I'm taking bigger jumps in weight this time through and I can feel it. I jumped to 330 and hit 15 with a slight spot on the last few. Probably would have stopped at around 13 by myself. If I was completely fresh, I think I could have done more, but I had just squatted heavy two days earlier. I like these because, as Mr. Leeman explains in a video, the way you do them, they help with ripping weight off the floor, which is definitely going to translate into more speed once I hit that dreaded sticking point that I always hit.

Deadlift variation was awesome. I was only supposed to make a 20lb jump, but I did 30 more lbs just cuz I was feeling good. I hit 365x15 and probably could have kept going. Like I have said before, at that point my cardio system is gassed (actually learning about it in human phys. right now haha). These were definitely solid today.

I hate doing assistance work at the school gym because of the lack of equipment. Of course, our leg press machine isn't working, and then I have to wait 5 minutes to get a rack/bar again for shrugs or rows or something and it's just annoying. Having 19 exercises is a pain at that gym. I had to skip leg press today and did standing calf raises on the smythe machine, instead of my usual machine at home; probably a good thing to mix it up though.

Overall, it's definitely a solid routine and am expecting to see more strength soon. My goals are still the same as from the beginning: 600lb dead, but I think the timeframe is going to start now and we are going to shoot for 12 weeks, straight through, hopefully injury free, without taking a week off to max or mess around. Again, I know it's a large jump, but I'd rather set goals high than low.

Personal life update: got a meeting for a potential internship at UPMC cardiopulmonary rehab on December 3rd. Not that it relates to PROM, but I'm pumped haha

Thanks for reading!! As always, feel free to ask any questions, critique me, or help me out in any way!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Hey all, I promise you'll have another update soon. I got really sick this past weekend and can't seem to shake it. I think it's a sort of upper respiratory problem and I have been bedridden since. Shortness of breath, terrible cough and wheezing, headaches and no appetite really don't make for much gym motivation. I'm trying to eat and I want to train, but I think it will still give more negative results than positive. My next lift is to be the deadlift program and I will be continuing where I left off. Thanks for understanding.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you have good insurance you might wanna head to the doc for a chest xray buddy. Could be a little pneumonia. Could also just be bronchitis like you said. Either way just get it fixed up.

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
I ended up going to the school doc and he didn't think it was anything serious. I ended up going to the gym and hitting the program today and I felt terrible. I'm not sure if it was too early for me to go back, or if it was all the time that I took off, but I felt terrible during the whole workout.

I dropped the pins to right at my knees with the same weight and it was real hard. This is right where my usual sticking point is so it may have been because of both that, and I am getting over being sick but I got 605x3 (tried for 4 and couldn't lock it out) from right at my kneecap. The first two felt solid but I just couldn't grind through em. I feel it hard in my low back already. I couldn't catch a breath between reps so that could have added to it.

Squat variation sucked. I went up to 345 and hit it for 7 as a struggle. I can guarantee my muscles and CNS could have gotten more, but I was wheezing hard after the 5th rep and was very lightheaded after the 7th. I usually don't play it safe in the gym, but I'm kinda tired of being off due to injuries and sickness so I racked it and will come back hard next week.

Deadlift variation wasn't terrible. I hit 395x10 and couldn't catch my breath for a good 5-6 minutes after. I was light headed for a while and just lethargic for the whole workout.

Accessory work could've been worse. I went back home so I was able to leg press and do some hypers on a good machine. I definitely feel I worked myself. Everything will be sore tomorrow, even though it wasn't relatively hard work. I'm glad I'm getting back into it and will hopefully start feeling 100% soon. Sorry for the back to back injury and then sickness, I promise I'll be hitting a big PR come max time.

Thanks for sticking with me! I'll be back soon!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Destroyed today's lift. Had about 3500 calories before I started and it showed. It's a good thing too because I was there for five hours and the program took 4 itself. I tried to make up for my lack of a workout last week and did the max amount of sets that Mr. Leeman gives as an option. Still had to skip the leg press though because, as usual, ours was broken at school.

Rack pulls were intense today. I am only supposed to go down in weight when I can only hit 100 lbs over my conservative max (605) for one rep, and we did that today. Dropped the pins and I started about 2 inches below my knees (~4-5 inches from the floor) and ripped 605 for 1. I got a video that I will be posting of it later. I felt like I actually worked on this rep too because my form felt more correct than usual. I can always fix it up more and am willing to listen to what any of you have to say after seeing the video.

Moving to the squat variation, I was able to bump up the weight from last week and hit 365x10 (3 reps more than last week). I feel a lot better (less sick than last week) and it showed throughout my lifts. Squats felt solid but were still lacking because of the DOMS I'm still feeling from leg day on Sunday.

Deadlift variation was solid too. I did 405x14, touch and go. I think I remember hearing Mr. Leeman say to do them with a bounce (touch and go) as opposed to dead stop. I'm not sure how I feel about that but stuck with it anyway. I may have heard that wrong and will be going back to rewatch the video I saw it in. I had a friend watching say, "How many was that? I stopped counting after 10." hahah made me laugh.

Assistance work was solid. I think I'm working smarter this time through and trying to use that muscle-mind connection, as opposed to just ripping and tossing weight like I did last time through. Shrugs felt particularly heavy today. Went up ten pounds from last time but dropped like 5 reps on each set, which is unusual for me. It may have been from my shrugs on shoulder day last Saturday.

Overall, I feel good about this past workout, and I am excited to hit some big PRs soon. I think my friends and I are bringing in the new year with a pool party (get it, "pool" party but like "pull" like deadlifts? haha right?) so I am debating on just going for 585 then, or sticking with the program for a few more weeks after that and sticking with the same goal of 585. Any suggestions??

Well thanks for reading folks! As always, feel free to ask any questions or make any suggestions! Happy Training!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
[video=youtube;5-GcPNin7M4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-GcPNin7M4[/video]

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Hello all. I apologize for my lack of posts regarding the program. Here is my final update and how everything went.

I ended up running the entire program for 12 weeks up to where I maxed. This took me to a 585 deadlift. I can now hit that weight confidently, every lift, without miss. I had a powerlifting meet about 2 weeks ago and just missed a 600.8 lb deadlift because of an unintentional hitch. I feel like that is a weight that I could get if I was fresh though. So if we take a 600lb deadlift as my max, then, from the absolute beginning, I put on 55 lbs to my max. If we take it from the beginning of the second time I ran it through, I went from a 565 deadlift to a 585 lb deadlift, and nearly a 600lb deadlift.

So overall, I am extremely happy with the results. I am now running the Candito 6 week program up to collegiate nationals in April. My goals for this meet are a 550 squat, 340 bench, and 620 deadlift. Wish me luck and thanks for following!