Fat boy to fit guy: 12 month journey log

ballerj63

ballerj63

Awards
Wanted to start a workout log for anyone that's interested in following along. I'm following ice cream fitness 5x5 novice routine- will end by December 2013. Link provided: h t t p://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148036063

Background: on/off in gym for years without any knowledge of training and nutrition. Started training again in April 2012 with a little more knowledge of the iron game. Now I want to pack on some muscle while minimizing fat. Workout is gonna be 3 days/ week, no cardio at the moment. Hopefully, I'm able to motivate some people out there that is in the same boat as I am. Oh, btw I am a night shift worker who does 3, 12 hour shifts. I train after I get off of work, so sometimes energy level may not be there.

Height: 5'8
Weight: 185 lbs
BF: 16-18%??<------fat ass

Current lifts:
Squats 275 lbs 1RM
Bench 240 lbs 1RM
Deadlift 300 lbs 1RM
OHP 150 lbs 1RM

Macros: 225 protein, 300 CHO, 60 fats.

Attachments

Last edited:
ballerj63

ballerj63

Awards
will update weekly with progress, pic, etc... for those that give a ****!

cabrunner6480

cabrunner6480

Awards
Cool keep us updated. Subscribed, interested in your progress on this program.

I've been lifting serious for almost three years put on some decent size. But I feel I could have done better if I started with a program like this. I immediately jump into more advance lifting techniques right away i.e. 4/5/6 day splits. Which has led to injuries. Such as bicep tendon issues and can no longer squat below parallel(have to do box squats, because ruined knees with leg extensions).

So I'm actually following the same workout program your doing now. Because its less volume per body part worked, my joints/connective tissue aren't as stressed. And, I'm gaining my strength back!

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Following.
Any questions, send me a pm bro. What's your goals?

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App

ballerj63

ballerj63

Awards
Weight is up to 186 after about a month on the program. Scaled back to 3 x 5 on main lifts and keeping accessory still at 3 sets. Decided to go for a recomp instead of of bulking. Still seeing some good gains.

Squats *265x5
Deads *260x5
BB rows 180 x 5
Bench 200 x 5
OHP 130 x 5

Slacking a little on the nutrition department, but I'm enjoying life and still training my ass off. Taking a week off from dieting. Will post with pics by the end of this week.

*fixed typo

ballerj63

ballerj63

Awards
Cool keep us updated. Subscribed, interested in your progress on this program.

I've been lifting serious for almost three years put on some decent size. But I feel I could have done better if I started with a program like this. I immediately jump into more advance lifting techniques right away i.e. 4/5/6 day splits. Which has led to injuries. Such as bicep tendon issues and can no longer squat below parallel(have to do box squats, because ruined knees with leg extensions).

So I'm actually following the same workout program your doing now. Because its less volume per body part worked, my joints/connective tissue aren't as stressed. And, I'm gaining my strength back!
I enjoy the program. **** is getting harder as weights on squats keep going up. I had to deload a few times, which help me bust through my plateaus. Keep mobility work up, definitely helps with joints and connective tissues. Yeah, I started with advance splits myself.....big mistake.

How long have you been on Jason's program?

cabrunner6480

cabrunner6480

Awards
I enjoy the program. **** is getting harder as weights on squats keep going up. I had to deload a few times, which help me bust through my plateaus. Keep mobility work up, definitely helps with joints and connective tissues. Yeah, I started with advance splits myself.....big mistake.

How long have you been on Jason's program?
I started the program around three weeks ago. My box squats numbers are going up(perhaps from muscle memory) 165 to 260. Bent over rows 185 to 215. Deads haven't really improved noticeably they've been around 330-345 depends on how taxed my nervous system is after squatting. Still trying over come my right shoulder/bicep tendon issue, it's getting better. I'm only going about 65% of 1RM on my pressing lifts, until issue heals up.

Prior to the program I was cutting down. I was down 13 pounds(185 to 172). My wife is 14wks prego and has now forbidden me from losing until the baby is born, lol. So I have been slowly reverse dieting into a bulk, every two weeks I add about 250 calories. Currently at 2690 calories 70 fats, 350 carbs, 165 protein. I'm at 175 now.

So, I too am enjoying this program. I am going to change my rep scheme to more powerlifting like 8x3 on the main lifts and try to really get my strength numbers up!

ballerj63

ballerj63

Awards
Trying to upload pics from my DSLR, saying that file is too big. Oh well, probably take some shots from my ****ty phone cam.

Anyways, completed workout B.
Squats 270 x 5
Deads 270 x 5
OHP 125 x 5---will go up by 130 next. Feels heavy as ****
BB row 185 x 5---form looks like ****. Need to improve on that

Goal in the next few weeks is to hit the 300 club, dial in my nutrition, and probably start on some barbell complexes once a week to work on conditioning. Weight has been going up on the main lifts, but I'm not happy with what I'm seeing in the mirror--->fat ass belly and love handles.

One last thing, I'm feeling some pain on top of my forearm where it connects to your biceps. I've been doing mobility work, but it hurts like hell when I'm doing straight curls.