Omega-3 for Athletes

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Omega-3 for Athletes

Dr. Phil Maffetone

It's estimated that as many as 50 million people in the United States have an essential-fatty-acid imbalance. In most cases this is due to insufficient intake of omega-3 fat coupled with overconsumption of omega-6 fat.
<P class=text>While this problem can negatively affect health in a number of ways, it is an even bigger problem for athletes, who regularly participate in repetitive activities such as training and racing.
<P class=text>Regular training for almost any sport produces an inflammatory effect. While this can be evident in some athletes as injuries and more-chronic conditions, it goes undetected in many others, and can lead to more serious problems such as chronic conditions that end in "-itis," fatigue, depression, and even serious disease such as heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer's.
<P class=text>The reason for ongoing chronic inflammation is not the exercise, nor is it the inflammation caused by the exercise. Inflammation is a normal part of the healing process in the properly functioning body. The real reason inflammation lingers is that many people do not produce enough natural anti-inflammatory chemicals, called eicosanoids, to counter the effects of inflammation.
<P class=text>Most often the reason the body cannot produce these chemicals is because it is deficient in omega-3 fats. The body produces anti-inflammatory eicosanoids from these fats.
<P class=text>While most diets in this country do not include sufficient omega-3 fat, worse yet, many include too much omega-6 fat. When consumed in excess, omega-6 can increase inflammatory eicosanoids. So can saturated fats such as those found in dairy products, and hydrogenated fats found in margarine, fake creamers and other processed "foods."
<P class=text>If you are an athlete it's possible you have a greater need to produce more natural anti-inflammatory eicosanoids. In addition, omega-3 fats are one key to workout and race recovery.
<P class=text>While some omega-3 fat can be obtained from items in the diet such as coldwater fish, beans and vegetables, the best way to be sure you get enough is through supplementation with a high-quality omega-3 oil such as".....such as Flax.

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
Since increasing my flax intake to 4-6 tblsp a day, I have had better lubricated joints and slight increases in my lifts. Increasing the ratio of omega 3' to omega 6's can only benefit the athlete IMO. Most who have supplemented flax attest to this fact.

PEACE

snakeman458

Awards
i am satisfied with the results that i am getting from upping my dosage to 6 tbls daily, and as chi town stated i also have less aches in my joints. i also feel it is helping me hold most of my gains from my cycle.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Cheap and effective, extremely sound nutritionally, good taste (Barlean's)... Flax is just beautiful. I too notice the benefits regarding joint lube/increased flexibility, and would never be without it at this point. Buy it, chug it, be happy.