Butter, Margerine, or ?????

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
I use butter. I want to avoid trans-fatty acids. What's the best nutritionaly and why?

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by windwords7
I use butter. I want to avoid trans-fatty acids. What's the best nutritionaly and why?

Margarine of course but the best at least for me is Olive oil, peanut oil, vegetable oil,  Flax oil etc.  What I do is for Pancake I use Margarine, for rest I used olive oil put in pump bottle and spray,  It works well, an option and cheap instead of buying Pam Can, and you can evenly put it. The above method will minimized saturated fat which is that one we want to avoid. Best Nutrional will be Flax, I was able to get in bottle for cooking in store. Taste great with all the seasoning they put there.

bigbadboss101

Awards
I don't own any butter, salt, and sugar.  Can you believe it?  When I am eating out I do use butter for pancake etc, and use salt/pepper as needed.  I figure if I don't have it, then I can't over use it.  However, I do have Pepsi, chocolate cake, etc, which isn't good :)

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i do the "i cant believe its not butter" thing. (ha) i dont really notice a big difference anyways. but butter/margerine deal really aint my style. only time i use em are on toast sometimes....

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
I'm with Rino on this one.......

Flax and Olive Oil

Dr of Golf

Awards
I use PAM butter spray and it seems to work well ... and besides, it also tastes good, too.

On carb up day, Olive Oil & Pepper on my Italian bread.
:)

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
General Info...

Windwords7(and others), this is an interesting link on milkfat in general. Its a little technical but a good read nonetheless on the potential benefits of milkfat. Butter has its uses!

http://ohioline.osu.edu/sc182/

For those interested in seeing how butter is made, check this one out...

http://www.milkingredients.ca/dcp/index_e.asp

Look under ingredients info(and elsewhere) to see how butter is made.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Re: General Info...

Windwords7(and others), this is an interesting link on milkfat in general. Its a little technical but a good read nonetheless on the potential benefits of milkfat. Butter has its uses!

http://ohioline.osu.edu/sc182/

For those interested in seeing how butter is made, check this one out...

http://www.milkingredients.ca/dcp/index_e.asp

Look under ingredients info(and elsewhere) to see how butter is made.
Awesome articles Cardinal, thank you. More input for my "milk is good" soapbox!!

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
I'm not going to be spreading Flax on my toast anytime soon ;)

If it's ONLY beteween Butter or Margerine, which one and why?

SteveDFW

Awards

I would use a small amount of butter instead of margerine. Yes, butter has more fat but margerine has transfatties.

Really, you have to decide what is more important: health or calories.

Dr of Golf

Awards

Have you ever tried SMART BALANCE?

The wife just got it today when she went shopping and it really tastes pretty darn good. Very buttery flavor and very smooth. Also, there are 0 grams Trans Fatty Acids per serving.

The breakdown on it is as follows:

Serving size: 1 TBSP
Calories: 45
Cals from fat: 45

Total Fat: 5g
Sat Fat 1.5g
Poly Fat 1.5g
Mono Fat 2g

Cholesterol: 0g
Total Carb 0g
Protein 0g

Main Ingredients: water, Natural Oil Blend (soy, palm, canola, and olive oils) less than 2% salt, vegetable monoglycerides, soybean lecithin, potassium sorbate, lactic acid (to protect freshness), calcium disodium EDTA, vitamin E, vitamin A, and beta-carotene color.

Look okay????? :confused:

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Smart Balance

I have been using smart balance for quite a while now. The taste is really good.

I wonder if they heat the oils very much to make it though. If they do, the properties of the oils would be very different and nowhere near as healthy as they would like you to believe. I am curious if anyone else has ideas on this?

They certainly don't make a point about including 'cold or expeller pressed' oils or anything about it being in an unrefined form. Hence I am a bit skeptical.

The emulsifiers they use seem fine to me since they are present in low concentration however.

I really hope I am wrong about my skepticism, but I don't think so.

ChaseRoy

Awards
Originally posted by windwords7

I have heard of a product called "keto-butter" which uses only MCT oils...could it be true????  I did a search on it once a while back, i suggest doing a search on google for it.  IF this is true it would be your beest bet.  Hope that helps.