Fiber w/ nightly protein...

Hoenlere

Awards
Guys,

Since we are all striving to eat protein that will last until morning, I was wondering why it seems like no one mixes in fiber w/ the drink?

I've been trying Chia Seeds w/ mine and it seems to help.. I feel less hungry in the morning.

A couple links:

http://www.integratedhealth.com/hpdspec/chia.html
http://www.eatchia.com/

"Chia's water-soluble fibers, mucilages, cause it to form a gelatin when immersed in water for 30 minutes. Researchers believe this same gel-forming phenomenon takes place in the stomach, creating a physical barrier between carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down, thus slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar. In addition to the obvious benefits for diabetics, this slowing of sugar conversion aids endurance."

What do you think? Has anyone else tried this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

-Ryan

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Yep! I add fiber to mine. Also I use casein which is a slower digesting protein along with flax oil, since fat also slows digestion.

Hoenlere

Awards
I've been putting some coconut oil shavings in mine as well.. I figure you can't get any slower than Chia + Coconut Oil + Cottage Cheese :)

-Ryan

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Hoenlere
I've been putting some coconut oil shavings in mine as well.. I figure you can't get any slower than Chia + Coconut Oil + Cottage Cheese :)

-Ryan
You must have a direct dial number to the plumber :D

Hoenlere

Awards
No way! That stuff keeps me super regular...

It's the protein shakes that bind me up :)

Hoenlere

Awards
Ha! If I drop a raw egg in there I bet I won't even have to eat breakfast :)

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
drop a raw egg in there any get the chance of salmonella poisoining....boitin deficiency, and maybe 40% protein absorbtion from your egg......:D

Hoenlere

Awards
hahah I won't recommend it to others, but the chances of getting salmonella from the fresh eggs I get are less than dying on the way home from work.

Plus eggs have biotin out the wazoo so they make up for it.

and the 40% protein absorbtion.. well.. eggs are cheap :p

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
heh, ive had a hard time eating lately. so ive been drinking a bit of milk to sort off cheat for some of my protein intake. i think part of it has to do with the summer heat supressing my appetite somewhat. also, the milk hasn't helped at all cuz now ive been pretty backed up from it for like 2 weeks now.

anyhow, i regularly supplement with Metamucil and lately its been so hard to drink any of that due to the constant nauseation--all day long. so now im backed up even more, its been hell the past few days or so. ive had to actually skip my workout yesterday due to constant stomach aches and feeling like $hit. its just a constant hellish cycle.

so, ive decided to hold up on my diet for like 3 days and just eat regularly. ive also bought some bene-fiber in replace of the MEt. and am going to try and flush my self out to the max so i can get back to work.

just thought id let u guys in on my sufferings.:D

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
heh, maybe, ill have to check em out more, thx.

Hoenlere

Awards
They have a good Omega3-Omega6 ratio and they seem to be pretty packed w/ fiber.. and they don't taste bad...

It couldn't hurt to try to get more green vegetables too.. that will keep you movin'.

-Ryan

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I was under the impression fiber increases the absorption rate of protein so I stopped taking it at night with my casein.

Hoenlere

Awards
Wow.. I'd be really interested to read what ever you've seen on that... What was the reasoning?

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
hahah I won't recommend it to others, but the chances of getting salmonella from the fresh eggs I get are less than dying on the way home from work.
While the salmonella is not that likely of happening, eating raw eggs depletes your body of biotin rather then giving your body biotin...due to metabolic processes that need the egg to be cooked. Also, like i mentioned, a good portion of the raw egg is unbioavailable protein until it is cooked. But hey, to each his own. I used to do the same for a while.

Hoenlere

Awards
Scottyo,

I have done a lot of reading regard biotin in the past and most of what I find indicates that biotin deficiency is only an issue with people who discard the yolk. An egg yolk contains 25 mcgs of Biotin.. the only thing containing more than that to my knowledge is liver.

I'm looking for a couple links for you now, but it seems to me the important thing to avoid is raw egg whites w/out the yolk.

-Ryan

EDIT: Can't spell :)

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Aighty, didnt mean to derail your thread or attack you, just wanted to share the knowledge. Like I said, I have done the same before but now I always cook em. Hell, if im lazy Ill just pop em in the microwave.

Hoenlere

Awards
Oh.. See... that's what I was worried about :) I didn't mean to sound like I was defending an attack, and I CERTAINLY didn't take yours as one :)

Just thought it would make for good discussion and no harm done for hijacking the thread... I do it all the time ;)

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
heh, ive had a hard time eating lately. so ive been drinking a bit of milk to sort off cheat for some of my protein intake. i think part of it has to do with the summer heat supressing my appetite somewhat. also, the milk hasn't helped at all cuz now ive been pretty backed up from it for like 2 weeks now.

anyhow, i regularly supplement with Metamucil and lately its been so hard to drink any of that due to the constant nauseation--all day long. so now im backed up even more, its been hell the past few days or so. ive had to actually skip my workout yesterday due to constant stomach aches and feeling like $hit. its just a constant hellish cycle.

so, ive decided to hold up on my diet for like 3 days and just eat regularly. ive also bought some bene-fiber in replace of the MEt. and am going to try and flush my self out to the max so i can get back to work.

just thought id let u guys in on my sufferings.:D
I've got the opposite problem, but have a found a solution that works for me. Fiber usually work for people with your difficulty as well as people with my difficulty.

For the last 6 or 7 years, I used to go through a a half dozen Sam's Club size box of L-Loperamide every year, but about six months ago I found a combination that's a lot more natural and healthier. I take 1 tablespoon of psyllium husks with my morning shake, and 1 tablespoon of psyllium husks with my bedtime shake. Additionally, I take one digestive enzyme capsule with shakes and sometimes with meals.

As far as cost goes:
- I use Trader Joes's Psyllium Husks and it costs me $3.99 per month.
- Twinlab Super Enzymes and it costs me $9.66 per month if I take a 4 per day.

~Todd

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I put a generous helping of ground flax meal in every shake that I make, including the one before bed. plenty of fiber there. I have about 30 lbs of a milk and egg blend, so that's what I've been using... no raw eggs though lol, although the chance of salmonella poisoning from a raw egg is approx. 1 in 20000

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
dunno if anyones ever used benefiber, but i wont recommend it. i ve been taking it for how long now, and twice the dosage. im still all backed up. id at least think it would help a little bit, but damn nada.

ill switch back to metamucil, and if that doesnt work then im gonna hit up some chia seeds.

btw, i heard that if u mix a lot of fiber with something wether it be a shake, corn, whatever, ur body cant use those calories. is this true?

thats why its been so hard lately with drinkin this stuff, cuz id eat a cow, then drink a fiber supp, then puke up my fiber supp.

but if i can mix it all together, then it would be probably a lot better.

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
The fiber you add to your shake will slow the absorstion of protein....good idea to use it at bedtime or in a MRP when you want it to last. I use phsyllium husks or metamucil. You can get the same (large container) of fiber (Target brand) instead of Metamucil for about $4.00. The night time shake I usually use is 1 cup milk.....2 tbs natty PB or a couple of handfuls of walnuts....1 tbs fiber....1 scoop whey.....skim milk powder can also be used....1-2 tbs flax when I have it.

bachovas

bachovas

Awards
There's something called Inulin, looks very promising is pretty much soluble fiber, www.proteincustomizer.com has it.

So, in summary:
- Use inulin as you would a fiber; calculate it in your total fiber intake for the day.
- Because inulin slows down (and possibly enhances) digestion, use inulin in any protein shake where you are not concerned about fast absorption.
- 2-3g/shake is a good upper limit; don't go much higher than this per shake.
- It is a thickening agent so it can be used in this manner to replace gums and such that are typically used.

(Thanks to ahsans and zeppelin at AL for this)