Question on a meal? ground beef!

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
well im trying to loose fat but bulk at the same time...lean bulk...and i love cheeseburgers and ground beef doesnt seem like its bad...just a little high in fat...but ya so here is my question

i just had 1 lbs of ground beef... (should i cut down? and add something that will add to the fullness? b/c i just had about 121 G's of protein in 1 meal lol)
and then i had low fat cheese sprinkled on it lightly
then barely a serving of salad dressing (think its more healthy than mayo)
and then barely any ketchup...
baked potato

how healthy would u think this is for my goal? does the bulking part pretty good but how about that im also trying to loose fat to get my sixpack?

or should i just go throw it up? :aargh: lol j/k

i usually dont have this type of dinner its usually

steak or chicken with possibly baked potato (light in butter and sour cream)
and a lot of green beans

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
i just had 1 lbs of ground beef... (should i cut down? and add something that will add to the fullness? b/c i just had about 121 G's of protein in 1 meal lol)
There is a post around here where one of the users explains how to remove a lot of the fat out of ground beef. Something about boiling it and getting rid of the fat that rises. I would of split that beef serving in half. For filler you could of drained the fat then cooked it on the stoved with some oats or whole wheat crackers/toast crumbled up into the meat as filler.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Yea, Simmer that beef in a pan of water for a couple minutes(2-3). Strain the beef, like you do with pasta. Do it again until the water runs clear. Lots of fat goes away. Oh, You will be calling someone to clear your drain in um:think: a couple months if you do it alot and your pipes are old. Try Buffalo. It's lean and most stores carry it now.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yea, Simmer that beef in a pan of water for a couple minutes(2-3). Strain the beef, like you do with pasta. Do it again until the water runs clear. Lots of fat goes away. Oh, You will be calling someone to clear your drain in um:think: a couple months if you do it alot and your pipes are old. Try Buffalo. It's lean and most stores carry it now.
Do the initial strain in the garbage, which gets most of it, then finish straining the rest in the sink. This really cuts down on the amount of fat goin into the sink. I've haven't had any probs since doin it this way.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
At a good supermarket you can also by ground beef that is 97% fat free... I think it ends up being <10g fat for 30g protein.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
buffalo patties at trader joe's, 43g protein, 12g fat....yummy

evoVIII

evoVIII

Awards
Trying to conservative in garbage use, would draining the fat into the yard attract unwanted visitors? Or should I drain it on someone else's yard :rofl:

99sscamaroma

Awards
I will usually get 93% lean Hamburg and mix it with 99% lean ground turkey breast that you can find at pretty much any supermarket. Tastes just like regular hamburg once mixed and if you like to toss some montreal steak seasoning in it it tastes amazing.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
One lb of 93/7 LGB has 96 grams of protien per lb. I split that into two servings if eaten by itself or split it into 3 servings if having some cottage cheese with each serving. :)

I eat alot of this when cutting because I hate chicken and fish so Im pretty limited.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
One lb of 93/7 LGB has 96 grams of protien per lb. I split that into two servings if eaten by itself or split it into 3 servings if having some cottage cheese with each serving. :)

I eat alot of this when cutting because I hate chicken and fish so Im pretty limited.
I thought I was the only one crazy enough to add cottage cheese! I will pre cook a few pounds of 96/4 extra lean ground beef and strain that as well. When it comes time to make a quick meal-frozen veggies in fry pan, add beef (sometime with some egg whites), add cottage cheese and salsa when everything is nice and warmed. Throw mix in whole wheat wrap or pita!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I thought I was the only one crazy enough to add cottage cheese! I will pre cook a few pounds of 96/4 extra lean ground beef and strain that as well. When it comes time to make a quick meal-frozen veggies in fry pan, add beef (sometime with some egg whites), add cottage cheese and salsa when everything is nice and warmed. Throw mix in whole wheat wrap or pita!
If Im trying to get carbs with it, Ill mix mine in with brown rice or add some cheese to it and roll it in a whole wheat tortilla.

I have to get creative because Im so picky. (Plus have some food allergies which prohibit me from eating certain things - allergic to soy protein).

B

Beebs

Awards
Just wanted to add that filler isn't a bad idea. I made meatloaf last night with high fiber whole wheat bread, skim milk, and egg whites for filler. Its still fatty, but I'm starting to replace my carbs with fat at dinner, so I don't mind. As long as its not fatty and full of carbs I'm good.