New to BDC and have a few ?'s

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but im new and dont exactly know where to post it.

I was referred to this site when i replied to a post on steroids on a mustang forum. I have read a few posts on each forum and am still confused as to what is the difference between everything, and mainly what exactly everything is. I have been working out for about a year now and am now where i want to be. I feel that my working out is just keeping me in shape and not getting me stronger or bigger. I want to get bigger, but i do not want to take actual steroids like some have said to do. I am 18 and i am about 6'1 and weigh around 180. I would like to be around 200, but i just can not seem to gain weight. I eat right, and as much as possible, always have protein shakes, stay healthy, but nothing works. Could someone point me in the right direction, or give me some sort of idea of where to start? Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
Daniel

Kay

Awards
hi,
bud you are 18, so your testosterone levels are still rising in your on body, So steroids wont help you much.
I mean whats the point of taking exogenous steroids when your own body continues to produce increasing volume of testosterone. Also, since you are probably not done growing completely, and your growth plates are not completely shut off, taking steroids/pro-steroids/prohormone may actually do more harm than good.
If you would like some advice on diet, training etc. more than happy to give it to you.
You man find more benefit in other supplements such as HMB, creatine and protein.

18 is a little too young for steroids, and would strongly advise you NOT TO TAKE steroids. Wait a few years you have your whole life to llok forward to.

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
Is that what all the stuff you guys are talking about is? From what i understood it was different than steroids. If that is wrong, i misunderstood the other person. I DO NOT want to take steroids. I never have. I just want the edge that i do not have right now. I do not know if i am just not eating right or what. I feel like i am doing everything necessary, but the benefits are just not there.

Kay

Awards
oh sorry if i misinterpreted you. it must be getting late.
why dont you provide a breakdown of your eating habits and training program and lets see if we can offer some suggestions.

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
My workouts are about 5 times a week. One day i do chest and triceps. This is usually 6 exercises with reps varying on each exercise. Next day i do biceps and back. About six exercises again. Day off. Legs and abs. Day off. Then i start over. I work abs in every now and then, just depending on how crowded the gym is, of if i am up for it or not. I always have a protein shake after i work out. I dont usually eat breakfast, if i do it is just a piece of fruit to start my day, along with a glass of water. I drink about 36 ounces of coke a day. I try to drink as much water as possible. For lunch i eat 2 Hot turkey and swiss sandwiches on white bread. Along with 4 regular sized chicken strips and a big glass of water. A couple of hours later i will eat a chicken sandwich or two to hold me over until dinner. Dinner varies depending on what is being cooked(still live with the parents). It is never anything that unhealthy but it could be things such as roast, brisket, to things such as sloppy joes, fries, or hamburgers. I always have another meal right around midnight, right before i go to sleep. It is usually chicken taquitos, egg rolls, ham and turkey sandwich, something that will fill me up. I will snack in between meals with things like powerbars, or such. I just recently started having a protein shake around 1030 to hold me over till lunch time. Thanks for the help in advance.
Daniel

"THE TICK"

Awards
i have sent out the yj signal. sir, would u care to help a young brother? D97C u stick around here, and you will gain all the knowledge u could want.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Whao killer.....

The reason you arent gaining in weight or it appears that way id your diet man. That hurts my stomach just looking at it. And when you listed your workout routine, I didnt see shoulders or forearms in there anywhere. Go to the Nutrition section on this board and read the "Want to gain weight?" sticky, do the math and use that number to your advantage. You will have to eliminate things like coke from your diet and to be honest, you wont get too far without eating a breakfast, just like in real life, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This is when you need your complex carbs and depending on when you plan to eat again after that, a good amount of protein. Once you figure up your BMR, tweek your exercise routine, we can all work on a meal plan for you, but in the end its you who have to make the choices, we can all give you the knowledge, but its you that has to follow it. And Im going to move this to the Nutrition section so you'll get even more help....

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
mmm...YJ beat me to breaking down your diet. there are great amounts of knowledge, including diet ideas and such. of course its not always easy to eat right every meal but if your goals are set, and you want to get there, no doubt nutrition as important as anything. Again, theres alot to change but if i would change just one....it would be the coke my friend. drop that shid, its liquid candy....nothing...nothing....NOTHING....good thats gonna come from drinking that. we got some good people here and just be open to suggestion and you will reach your goals much quicker.

labrad

Awards
  • Established
1 easy tip. Trade out the 36 ounces of Coke for 36 ounces of milk. Best of luck.

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
Thanks alot guys. I am about to read the sticky in the nutrition section and see about changing my diet up. As for shoulders and forearms, i work shoulders in with chest and triceps, and forearms in with back and biceps, i just forgot to mention that. Is there any kind of specific milk that i should drink? I am open to new ideas for anything whether it be nutrition, or even a new work out routine. I just do not have very much knowledge in this area. As of today i am going to try and cut down on my cokes. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Daniel

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Well you've come to the right place, once you read that sticky and figure your BMR, it will be easier to help you with a nutritional plan since we will know how much you will have to eat to bulk up....

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
My final number was 3265. Looks like im going to have to be eating a whole lot to gain weight. What is the next step i need to take?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
My final number was 3265. Looks like im going to have to be eating a whole lot to gain weight. What is the next step i need to take?
At 180, I think 3265 is a bit off, Its not going to be that high, .....it's going to be somewhere around 2700-2800 I believe. Maybe re-try the math and if you still get 3265, PM me and I'll work it out.... But then ext step is to add 500 cals over your final BMR each day, then at the endo of 7 days, you'll have 3500 cals over your weekly BMR, which will equal 1lb. Not 1lb of fat like the shitheads at BB.com think. All in all your next big step is to construct a daily meal plan and try to keep it consistant. To do this you need a ratio of fats/carbs and protein. Once you have these 2 thinks (A desireable macronutrient ratio and your final BMR) you can begin putting together a rough draft of a daily meal plan and thats where all of us come in, I know windwords7, myself, Kay and a few others are good with putting together meal plans so let us know

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
I still get the same answer each time. My BMR is 1979. My AF is 989. Those added together are 2968. Then my final number is 296, when i divide by .1. I add 296 to 2968. Am i doing this right? I thought i was going thr right direction.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Whats your activity factor? Moderate or high? The initial math is usually what gets people...

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
My activity factor is moderate. I think my age is what hurt me.

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
I figured that was the case. I just hope i can stick with everything and get where i want to be.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Well thats up to you.....if you're bulking, you need a macronutrient ratio to begin with, I suggest 40/40/20. 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fats.

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
How do i go about figuring out a meal plan? Do you guys have any preassembled meal plans? Heh, or something to point me in the right direction.

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by Daniel97Cobra
My workouts are about 5 times a week. One day i do chest and triceps. This is usually 6 exercises with reps varying on each exercise. Next day i do biceps and back. About six exercises again. Day off. Legs and abs. Day off. Then i start over. I work abs in every now and then, just depending on how crowded the gym is, of if i am up for it or not. I always have a protein shake after i work out. I dont usually eat breakfast, if i do it is just a piece of fruit to start my day, along with a glass of water. I drink about 36 ounces of coke a day. I try to drink as much water as possible. For lunch i eat 2 Hot turkey and swiss sandwiches on white bread. Along with 4 regular sized chicken strips and a big glass of water. A couple of hours later i will eat a chicken sandwich or two to hold me over until dinner. Dinner varies depending on what is being cooked(still live with the parents). It is never anything that unhealthy but it could be things such as roast, brisket, to things such as sloppy joes, fries, or hamburgers. I always have another meal right around midnight, right before i go to sleep. It is usually chicken taquitos, egg rolls, ham and turkey sandwich, something that will fill me up. I will snack in between meals with things like powerbars, or such. I just recently started having a protein shake around 1030 to hold me over till lunch time. Thanks for the help in advance.
Daniel

Little bro, your testoterone is crazy, so crazy you can get huge if you want to no prohormone or steroids  need to apply.  Second, it is imperative you increase you protein intake and calories, Your diet will not cut it.  And you will need to eat six times a days every two hours and if possible go to 8 you will need to eat at least 3,000 calories.

Creatine should help you  and Methoxy since is natural perhaps.

If you can get powder such as the one made by Prolab N-Large should help you with your calories increase.  Try to eat at least 10 egg whites for breakfast with cottage chesse and spoon of peanut butter.  Chicken breast and  other sources of protein. If you can't affort the meals stick with MRP and whey. 

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
We dont have 1 here yet, but theres many around the net, if you want to create one, myself and others will be glad to help costruct it.

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
Well then.
Lets get started. Rhinoman said i should be eating 6-8 times a day. So that means i need to be eating alot more than i am at the moment. I am taking my cokes out of my diet as of today. I am starting to drink more water. It is the actual meals that i do not know much about.

Rhinoman

Awards

You can also try this recipe from wardog:

[font="verdana, arial, helvetica"]OK, this one is by request as well:

So bulking season is coming, and soon will come the onslaught of whiny little "I can't seem to get all those calories" threads. Well, I made a batch of my homemade protein bars today and sat down and figured out the calories.

#1 Here is the recipe:

16 ounces Natural peanut butter
8 tablespoons honey
six scoops of Optimum Chocolate whey protein powder
1 cup of uncooked oatmeal

Mix the pb and honey in a bowl, microwave on full for 80 secs. Add the rest and mix together. Can add raisins/nuts etc to taste. Smooth into 13x9 tray and leave for 20 mins. Cut into 10 to 12 equal bars and wrap and store in fridge.

This is a great tasting recipe that I modified from one I found on 'bolex

Now here is the breakdown on a batch of the goodies:

Protein: 254 grams
Carbohydrates: 282 grams
Fats: 236 grams

This batch gives you a whopping 4268 calories. Thats right, over 4000 Calories and 250+ grams of protein.

So, if you can't get your bulk on...I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT!!!!!!
[/font]

[font="verdana, arial, helvetica"]__________________
[/font]

Kay

Awards
try that recipe man, those protein squares taste awesome.
Supplement your meals with them, dont eat them solely as a meal, because they are a little high in fat, but other than that, have liek 2 - 3 squares with each meal.

They taste freakin awesome.

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
I am going to make some tomorrow and see how they taste. Anybody have any suggestions on actual meals? I need help with the meal part.

labrad

Awards
  • Established
I am going to make some tomorrow and see how they taste. Anybody have any suggestions on actual meals? I need help with the meal part.
Remember the milk. Buy 1% milk it comes close to the 40/40/20 that YellowJacket suggested. Around 46 carbs, 34 protein, and 20 fat approximately. This is easy, cheap, and quick.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Any meals featuring salmon, steak, lean beef, turkey, herring, chicken etc are good. Remember the importance of veggies and of course fruits. Something like 2 cans of tuna, a large banana, glass of milk, glass of water and fresh carrots is a sample meal I eat sometimes when I dont have time to cook. Homemade meal replacements also come through in the clutch...something like

15oz milk
2 scoops natural peanut butter
1/3 cup crushed oatmeal
1 tablespoon flax oil
2 scoops whey powder
1 medium banana
Mix this all up and it tastes very good, this is more suited for bulking I believe as it is high calorie. Not sure of the actual nutrition faces, but depending upon what whey powder you use it should be right around 45-50. Bulking is eating huge meals. You are right 6-8 is ideal. These 6-8 are medium to large meals....anything to get over your daily expenditure of calories. Remember, to bulk you must eat more calories than you burn

BrKonman

Awards
Woah... sorry I'm late bro's!

Heh, so I'm so late jumping in, yesterday was a hellish day for me.

Anyways, YJ is getting ya on the right track, as always. If you're having problems with the plan/layout, go to www.fitday.com I know it's a little off in values, but you'll get the general idea to see where you're headed. Also, add new things to it as often as you can set a label in front of you. If this is your first time really laying out the meal plan, gather a list of everything you can potentially eat in one day, and start forming some 40/40/20 meals out of it.

Now the side no one's mentioned... we don't know if you're an ecto/meso/endo as of yet, but how long have you been using that same training routine? I'm a (modified to the individual) HIT, HST kinda guy. If you've been doing the same thing for over a year, you may need a good shock in the training department.Works wonders for many many bb's hitting a plateau.

Finally, in reference to your original post, I believe what you were sent here for is prohoromones.Whoever said at 18 you should be checking these out is a bit out of line. They are essentially the legal precursors to steroids. If you don't want to do steroids, ya probably don't want these either. And you shouldn't even be considering them for several more years.

All in all, stick around. We'll get you're training and nutrition in order. Whatever you're goal, the bros around here have the info to get ya there :D

BTW: Wardog's protein squares are *fantastic* ... add milk, eat with oatmeal or something, and you have a majorly good dessert.

Daniel97Cobra

Awards
Hey guys, Just thought i would give everyone a heads up on how everything is going. I am starting a new work out routine as of tomorrow to change things up a little bit. I think it will help me grow a little bit more by working each individual muscle more. I have not had a coke in 3 days now. It is hard to see people drinking them, but i just think about the results. I made a batch of those protein squares and they are delicious. I do not have a set diet, but i am watching what i eat, and making sure i eat enough each day. I usually have protein shakes after my work out and before i go to bed, and a carbo rush before i work out. So far it seems to be working out. I feel alot more healthy and energetic. Thanks guys for your help so far.

Kay

Awards
cottage cheese may be a better idea instead of a protein shake before going to bed. whey protein gets absorbedreally fast and does not stay in gastro tract long enough to provide ample nutrition.
Casein, the protein found in dairy products, forms a gel in your stomach and stay in your tract much logner providing a steady source of protein all night.
Also, casein is much higher in glutamine than whey protein. I used to drink milk before going to bed, but i read somewhere that due to high glycemic carbs in milk, it inhibit the release of GH in the body, so its preferable to have cottage cheese rather than milk before going to bed.
Just a suggestion :)

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
protein shake is great before bed ...but the best idea of course is to use a blend mix. as Kay said, casien dominated blend is best. For some of us, purchasing a 5lb + tub of whey powder is easiest and most economic so if thats the case, i would atleast throw in flax, pb, some milk, to slow down the digestion of your shake. again like Kay said, cottage cheese a better choice over milk cuz milk is great casien source but does contain and equal amount of sugar and protein. (while cottage cheese has minimal amounts of carbs.