Ketosis on CKD between carb refeeds

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
How important is it to reach ketosis between refeeds? I dont ever reach ketosis but I am still shedding fat without losing strength in the gym (but I get much more sore now as opposed to when not on CKD). I do a refeed every saturday and sunday (about 600 g high glycemic on sat. and 400g low glycemic on sun.- give or take) If it is imperative to reach ketosis, should I cut down to one day refeed a week? I know most people reach ketosis at 10-14 days but I dont want to go that long without loading up.

thanks,
Leggo

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How do you know that you are not in ketosis?
You can probably feel that you are in ketosis - lethargy, soreness after workouts, even if your ketosis sticks are negative.
As long as you are losing the weight it is not that important.
The re-feed is very important to aid in recovery.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
yeah... Lethargic and sore as hell and the brain fog every now and then. I've been using the ketostix and they always show negative or trace for ketones. But yeah, maintaining strength while losing lbs and inches, so I must be doing something right. How's your cut coming along karategirl?

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you drink plenty of fluids in the day the keto-sticks will come out negative so don't worry about that.
Know your body and you will be able to tell if you are in ketosis.
My cut is going well, I am in ketosis right now and feeling it. Looking forward to my carb-up this weekend :)

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
If you drink plenty of fluids in the day the keto-sticks will come out negative so don't worry about that.
Know your body and you will be able to tell if you are in ketosis.
My cut is going well, I am in ketosis right now and feeling it. Looking forward to my carb-up this weekend :)
Ahh... that could be the culprit, I drink about 3 gal. of h20 per day, probably too diluted. I too am looking forward to loading this weekend but I'm going to be in San Diego saturday through tuesday on vacation, so hopefully my load wont be too dirty :) I have a hard time behaving myself when I'm out of my element:twisted:

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
They are little sticks that you pee on, usually they are made for diabetics.
They measure the amount of ketones you produce in your urine.
Usually when you produce ketones in your urine it is because you are in ketosis.

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
IMO, too much is made out of the state of "ketosis" in general... Being in ketosis is more of a side-effect of a low carbohydrate diet, rather than some magical state one gets into in order to shift their metabolism to burn fat. I loved CKD when I was on it, but getting into ketosis was f*king driving me crazy. As long as you're doing good clean refeeds (R-ALA helps), and consuming trace carbs in between the refeeds, it doesn't matter what color the strips turn to when you pee on them. ;)