Protein Squares by request

wardog

Awards
  • Established
OK, this one is by request as well:

So bulking season is coming, and soon will come the onslaught of whiny little "I can't seem to get all those calories" threads. Well, I made a batch of my homemade protein bars today and sat down and figured out the calories.

#1 Here is the recipe:

16 ounces Natural peanut butter
8 tablespoons honey
six scoops of Optimum Chocolate whey protein powder
1 cup of uncooked oatmeal

Mix the pb and honey in a bowl, microwave on full for 80 secs. Add the rest and mix together. Can add raisins/nuts etc to taste. Smooth into 13x9 tray and leave for 20 mins. Cut into 10 to 12 equal bars and wrap and store in fridge.

This is a great tasting recipe that I modified from one I found on 'bolex

Now here is the breakdown on a batch of the goodies:

Protein: 254 grams
Carbohydrates: 282 grams
Fats: 236 grams

This batch gives you a whopping 4268 calories. Thats right, over 4000 Calories and 250+ grams of protein.

So, if you can't get your bulk on...I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT!!!!!!

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
Very awsome Wardog. I am going to try it...... Talk to ya. I will eat it with lunch.... Very good. Talk to ya..

BrKonman

Awards
Just gotta add how great these things taste. I've been eating them for about a month and half now, and they are just fantastic. Perfect little item to slip in a pocket and eat as a meal replacement(when ya just can't get some normal food) Also, they are good with Optimum Vanilla as well, though I prefer the chocolate.

Thanks again for the recipe wardog. :)

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Great recipe Wardog. I've been eating them for bout a month now. Even the wife loves them!

deaconbill

Awards
Thanks for the recipe.  They sound awesome.  I'm not much of a cook but I'm gonna give this a try.  Thanks

SteveDFW

Awards
Wardog's Protein Squares are great. One day I ate them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, LOL. My wife eats them too (that is the real taste test).

While I was cutting, I made a low fat, reduced calorie version using Peanut Wonder's "Better n Peanut Butter" spread. It is all natural and taste good at half the calories. Instead of the 180-200 calories per 2 tablespoons, this stuff has 100 calories per 2 tablespoons.

You might try it on a cutting cycle since it still fills you up.

Kay

Awards
gonna try it today.
karma coming your way my man. Thanks, now only if i can find my cooking apron, or my oven for that matter :D

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
I made them they are awsome..... ANd yes extra karma for this one... Talk to ya..

Rhinoman

Awards
They are great, the best part is that I am saving money!

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Glad all you bros like them. I know what you mean by addicting, I eat way too much of them some days.

true_c

Awards
they sound like they taste great, but there could be a bit of a problem

first, the protein in peanut butter is an incomplete protein, so unless you are matching these w/ complimentary incomplete protiens, you really arent getting the amino acids your body needs, and really shouldnt count them

also, im not sure how much this will take effect, but when you heat whey it denatures, so u might be a bit off on protein count in that respect too.

sorry if bubbles were burst, but i thought i'd toss this out there

Rhinoman

Awards

also, im not sure how much this will take effect, but when you heat whey it denatures, so u might be a bit off on protein count in that respect too. 

According to the recipe you only heat the pb with honey and the you add the rest to the mixture and mix well, so I am confused now.  If you heat the whey with it then I can see your point. But if you saying that because  adding to the hot mixture this will degrade the protein, I don't know about this.  I hope of the chemos around here can put light here.

SteveDFW

Awards
they sound like they taste great, but there could be a bit of a problem

first, the protein in peanut butter is an incomplete protein, so unless you are matching these w/ complimentary incomplete protiens, you really arent getting the amino acids your body needs, and really shouldnt count them

sorry if bubbles were burst, but i thought i'd toss this out there
The whey is not heated in the microwave so it is not heated any more than being shipped in a truck to your local store.

The incomplete protein in the peanut butter is completed by the whey protein. There is not an exact amount of each amino acid needed to make any protein source COMPLETE, they just most all be there. In fact, all complete protein sources have different percentages of each amino acid.

Who's bubble is bursting ???

Dr of Golf

Awards
Excellent post, Wardog. Thanks for sharing that. Going to be using them beginning December 2. Great Karma coming your way, and Thanks again! :)

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established

The incomplete protein in the peanut butter is completed by the whey protein. There is not an exact amount of each amino acid needed to make any protein source COMPLETE, they just most all be there. In fact, all complete protein sources have different percentages of each amino acid.

That and the oatmeal helps complete the PB. Just thought I'd chime in w/that.

Kay

Awards
whey, denatures when you heat it ?

well my understanding is this.... any protein denatures, egg denatures when you heat it.... it doesnt matter if you heat a protein and it denatures, all you care about in the amino acids in it, cause thats what the body is absorbing.
Any food when heated denatures, that doesnt mean that the protein is no longer useful. When you cook steak, the protein is denatured, but not many people go around biting cows :D

anyways, you are not heating whey in this recipe anyways.

Also, oatmeal + whey + PB = very close to a ocmplete protein source anyways , so yay, lemme chow down some mroe of these!!

Not trying to flame you or anything bud, but please don't post incomplete info.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
I just got done making mine....with Strawberry flavored whey...

they actually taste really good:)

I'm happy. :)

LG. :cool:

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
I've made these about 8 times, and they taste awesome. Well, with that many calories they better, right?

:p

Props to wardog

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
thank u wardog i just made my secdond batch and love them there a god send..very versatile i eat one bar and a big glass of milk excellent

Hal

Awards
They do sound tasty!
Kay, is right, it doesn't matter if the protein gets denatured. It gets denatured when it hits the guy anyway, secondary, tertiary or quaternary protein structure won't effect the amino acids.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Great recipe. The first time I made them though they seemed a little dry. Recently I made my second batch and after everything was added I mixed in around a quarter cup of skim milk then spread it into the pan. After sitting for about 30 min they came out almost like a fudge texture. Yumm. Just thought I'd post this in case anyone wants to try it. Late J

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Sweet addition bro, did you add the skim milk warm or cold?

So we have reduced fat PB, now add in some skim, and it sounds like these are getting better and better!!

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I add the skim milk in cold nothin fancy:D I add the skim milk after everything is mixed and ready to be put in the pan. Go with a 1/4 cup first mix it and if you think it needs a touch more then be my guest. It's all personal preference. Also I tried to make it one time with crunchy peanut butter and it made the squares greasy as **** because of the peanut oil. If you want to add nuts do it at the end. Again Do Not MICROWAVE with peanuts :D Later J

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
homemade protein bars with pb, honey, oatmeal, protein powder ..... ive tried adding extra nuts, splash it with some milk, more honey than pb, more pb than honey, no honey, no honey with sweetners....u name it. end result.....THEY THE BOMB!!!! Shoot, im eating a batch right now.
only problem is when im need of one in the evening hours, the variation using only powder, pb, and cottagecheese or flax seeds doesnt come close to the texture and sweetness of the original.....right
Sage

elijah_123

Awards
Hey in honor of the goodness of pb I made an excel spreadsheet to figure your calories and nutrient break down depending on the ingredients you use.

Also for those wanting to trim the sugar content down a bit I just made a batch using sugar free syrup and reduced fat pb, tastes great. I had to use .5 cup skim milk to thin it a little as the syrup doesn't do as good a job as honey apparently.