Help me with my bulking diet (extremely hard gainer)

conversekidz

Awards
Male
6' 152lbs (my natural weight was 132lbs, I gained 20lbs from a medication that I am on)
bf ?%
extremely hard gainer
Goal weight, 175lbs

I am newer to the area of body building, I rockclimbed for 2 years, and did strength training with that. The whole thing with rockclimbing was I wanted to be as strong as I could be, with out getting bulky.

The work out that I decided to do is Max-OT, I started it this week but I feel that my diet is lacking.

My typical day.

9-9:30am Wake up

10am Protien shake, a couple of spoon fulls of peanut butter 2caps flax seed oil, 1 cap fish oil
50g Protein, 220 cals

12pm Eat at dining hall, typically 1.5 cups of cottage cheese, 2 cups wild rice, and whatever else looks good.
46g protein, 303 cals (cottage cheese)

2-3pm Can of tuna
48g of protein, 320 cals

4pm Work out
Post workout 5g creatine 50g Glucose

5pm eat at dining hall, 1 cup cottage cheese, some random meat dish, pasta, or some other carb to fill me up
31g protein, 203 cals (cottage cheese)

7:30-8ish protein shake or latenight at dining hall (typially burgers, and pizza)

11:30 Protein shake then off to bed. 2caps flax seed oil, 1 cap fish oil, one multi vit
50g Protein, 220 cals

So far I feel hungry through most of the day, so I am thinking of taking out one of the protein shakes, and adding 1lb ground beef a day to my diet because it would add 1300cals and 122g of protein.

Totals
w/o the beef
225g of protein, 1266 cals
w beef
297g of protein, 2346 cals

Plus add whatever else I eat and snake off through out the day.

What do I need to add to my diet? Please remeber that I am a college student so cooking isn't the easiest for me, I am going to cook the ground beef on a george forman grill, so that is my only cooking source.

thanks

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Well first you really need to up your cals. As an ecto your metabolism is going to burn alot more than normal poeple, I doubt you're even covering your BMR with that amount. Try aiming for around 3000 cals to at a 40/30/30 of P/C/F. Try to get a majority of that from from EFA's like Flax oil etc.

Check out LG's BMR calc here to help you out: http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3251

Also stick with low GI carbs to avoid putting on too much fat.

Try www.allrecipes.com for good recipes that include the nutritional value to make counting your cals a little easier.

Start with that, once you get your meal plan together post it and I'll have a look.... sorry not gonna do it for ya. ;)

conversekidz

Awards
ok I filled out the spread sheet, I am just a little unclear on one part, What is my activity factor? If i do moderate it says I need 3000 cals a day to gain a pound a week, if I am heavy active I need 3500 cals a day.

I am going to make up a meal plan to shoot for 3500+ cals a day then.

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Well I would start at 3000, wait 3 weeks and see how you're body reacts. If your gaining then stick with it, if not then raise your cals. Also raise your cals by 400 for evey 10lbs of new muscle.

conversekidz

Awards
Ok, I will keep that in mind planning my diet then.

Also, is there an easy program to figure out the "aiming for around 3000 cals to at a 40/30/30 of P/C/F" or is it just good old pen and paper work?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
ok I filled out the spread sheet, I am just a little unclear on one part, What is my activity factor? If i do moderate it says I need 3000 cals a day to gain a pound a week, if I am heavy active I need 3500 cals a day.

I am going to make up a meal plan to shoot for 3500+ cals a day then.
How active are you? Do you play basketball, run, do you have an active, physical job? If you do close to no cardio, you're sedentary, most of the population is moderate.

So your BMR was 2500 calories?

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I will keep that in mind planning my diet then.

Also, is there an easy program to figure out the "aiming for around 3000 cals to at a 40/30/30 of P/C/F" or is it just good old pen and paper work?
I use this program www.crosstrainer.ca. It tracks workouts, has a complete nutritional database and meal/recipe planning etc.

conversekidz

Awards

How active are you? Do you play basketball, run, do you have an active, physical job? If you do close to no cardio, you're sedentary, most of the population is moderate.

So your BMR was 2500 calories?

As of right now, i do a great deal of walking up and down hills (go to school at UCSC, large hilly campus) once my body gets use to lifting, I am going to start playing racquetball a couple of times a week. I am going to put my self at heavy, because I do a fair amount of things around campus.

my BMR would be 2966, which means I need 3466 cals a day to gain 1lb a week.

I guess not its time to figure out a diet that I can make in my dorm room, and I like to eat.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Better to eat more calories than not enough, best of luck.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards

how good is this program? It but my BMR at 1800 and my bodyfat % at 6.41
Those online bodyfat calculators are all bunk. Generally, they arent even close. They're for normal, everday citizens, not geared towards bodybuilders.

elijah_123

Awards
Need more healthy calories then try this. Search for the peanut butter bulking bars. You can make them in a dorm room (done it here) and go to walmart and buy the 3 lb pack of chicken breasts and cook them on the foreman grill. The bulking squares are great tasting, portable and and easy way to jack your calories up.

conversekidz

Awards
Need more healthy calories then try this. Search for the peanut butter bulking bars. You can make them in a dorm room (done it here) and go to walmart and buy the 3 lb pack of chicken breasts and cook them on the foreman grill. The bulking squares are great tasting, portable and and easy way to jack your calories up.
I am going to try the bars, I think I am going to stick with beef over chicken, just beacuse I can't choke down chicken everyday :-\

But right now, eating the bars seems like I could hit my goals really easy, and even be able to take them with me to class....

conversekidz

Awards
Ok so I figured out what I am going to eat everyday...

1lb ground beef
2 peanutbutter bars
2 cups pasta
2 cups cottage cheese
2 cups wild rice
5g creatine with 50g glucose
6 caps of flaxseed oil (going to get a bottle of it soon)
2 caps fish oil
+ whatever else I eat in the course of a day (tuna, bread, burgers)
This would give me the totals of

With out eating anything extra I get

262g protein, 280g carbs, 152g fat, 3376 cals, which is a breakdown 38/40/22

is this about right?and I will space the food out through out the day