Electrolytes- Summary

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I had to teach electrolytes to a senior health/gym class last week and I thought Id sum it up for you guys who are interested, if you dont already know.....

Electrolytes are elements or compounds when melted (or dissolved) is say water or a sports drink immediatley separates into IONS and had the ability to conduct electrical currents (neat aye ;) ) It is a must to get a proper balance of elecrtolytes in your diet because they're critical to normal metabolism.
An example of electrolyte function- calcium is essentail for the relaxation of skeletal muscle and essential in the contraction of cardiac muscle (the heart).
-Potassium is essential for the contraction of skeletal muscle and relaxation of cardiac muscle.
- Sodium is important in maintaining fluid balance.
The electrolyte group includes sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium, and calcium.

Now I hope everyone can see why these minerals are so important as electrolytes in the human body :D

shady

Awards
well i guess i can get used to haveing to learn something new with all these threads you keep starting.

R.I.C.

Awards
I'm glad you started this thread YJ.

My post W/O drink is a 50/50 mix of dextrose and Gatorade powder (which is mostly sucrose, charged with Electrolytes). Just wondering if there is any benefit in ingesting electrolytes with my post w/o drink - or should I just stick to simple sugar, and save the extra bucks ?

Cheers.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I'm glad you started this thread YJ.

My post W/O drink is a 50/50 mix of dextrose and Gatorade powder (which is mostly sucrose, charged with Electrolytes). Just wondering if there is any benefit in ingesting electrolytes with my post w/o drink - or should I just stick to simple sugar, and save the extra bucks ?

Cheers.
You can have the best of both worlds bro....looks like you already do, though its hard to deplete electrolytes, it can happen and there is no such thing as an overdose of them...