Spurfy’s Fasting Log

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by THOR 70 View Post
    Spurfy how has today been?

I thought this was interesting and might shed some light as to some of the mechanism behind the magical 10 day mark. It looks as if gluconeogenesus plateaus around day 10. Is this the point at which autophagy really targets damaged dna and starts to knock out the root of disease? Forgive my non scientific oversimplification/speculation of this I just love to learn

Attachment 180507
    Yes, this is my theory and I've seen this chart before.

The 7 day mark is when things really start to take off, but as I've said, 10 days seems to be where the peak magic is and where autophagy and apoptosis really begin to shine. This is also where the fat burning, especially stubborn fat, really seems to accelerate and hot flushes become common.

This is why fasting paradoxically gets easier the longer you go, until the point where bodyfat reserves are exhausted. A fasted body at, for example, day 14 is very efficiently destroying everything that is excess -- bodyfat, scar tissue, tumors, damaged cells, etc. All of these things are converted into fuel or amino acids/collagen for tissue repair.
    Due to the large number of private messages I'm receiving asking about this: Yes I do offer online coaching services. PM me for details.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Spurfy View Post

The 7 day mark is when things really start to take off, but as I've said, 10 days seems to be where the peak magic is and where autophagy and apoptosis really begin to shine. This is also where the fat burning, especially stubborn fat, really seems to accelerate and hot flushes become common.

This is why fasting paradoxically gets easier the longer you go, until the point where bodyfat reserves are exhausted. A fasted body at, for example, day 14 is very efficiently destroying everything that is excess -- bodyfat, scar tissue, tumors, damaged cells, etc. All of these things are converted into fuel or amino acids/collagen for tissue repair.
    Awesome and motivating. How are you feeling?
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by THOR 70 View Post
    Awesome and motivating. How are you feeling?
    Very full, still, and mood is great. I had forgotten what it was like to be kind to myself. A good friend, a few bowls of a nice stony indica, a buffet of delicious junk food, and laughing at cartoons, was just what I needed.
    Due to the large number of private messages I'm receiving asking about this: Yes I do offer online coaching services. PM me for details.
  4. Spurfy’s Fasting Log

Quote Originally Posted by Spurfy View Post
    Very full, still, and mood is great. I had forgotten what it was like to be kind to myself. A good friend, a few bowls of a nice stony indica, a buffet of delicious junk food, and laughing at cartoons, was just what I needed.
    So therapeutic! I have a theory about drugs, primarily alcohol. The community, mood boosting effects, insane amount of laughter, are hard to measure in a study. these obviously have a ton of benefits. Just can’t make it your crutch to be able to experience these things

I am on day 3 of my fast and am determined to go long with this one. So what I’m gathering is the longer I can go past 10 days the better. You said in the past you determined 10 days the best point for results and compliance. I have plenty of body fat for fuel so I think I may go longer.

I have an stem cell allograft scheduled on the 18th to further assist in correcting this autoimmune stuff I have going on. I’m thinking I might just fast through that and a couple days past to fully focus on healing. What are your thoughts on this? Also I’ve been taking milloxicam for pain and it’s light dmard properties while I overcome this. What are your thoughts about how this would affect my fast results, and my stem cell treatment?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Spurfy View Post

Is it recommended that you don’t exercise during one of these long fasts? I’ve only ever done intermittent fasting but I’m starting to get curious about extending it to a day, and then maybe working my way up from there.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post
    Is it recommended that you don’t exercise during one of these long fasts? I’ve only ever done intermittent fasting but I’m starting to get curious about extending it to a day, and then maybe working my way up from there.
    Walking at a fast pace (always below lactate threshold) is perfectly fine for exercise while fasting. Anything else, in my opinion, will do more harm than good.

7. Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post

Clinically proven? Not really...

Dry fasting, light (below lactate threshold) exercise, sunbathing or UV-B tanning beds. Corticosteroids, obviously. Anything that increases free radicals won’t increase autophagy but will increase apoptosis to a net positive effect. Mild stressors.

Sauna should cause a massive acute spike in autophagy due to sharp increase in metabolic rate.

My disc pain is nearly gone, btw.
    His response to exercise

8. Quote Originally Posted by THOR 70 View Post
    So therapeutic! I have a theory about drugs, primarily alcohol. The community, mood boosting effects, insane amount of laughter, are hard to measure in a study. these obviously have a ton of benefits. Just can’t make it your crutch to be able to experience these things
    Alcohol is the only way I can completely hide the fact that I have Asperger's in social situations. I can talk with friends, talk with strangers, pick up girls, and do everything else that "normal" people can do socially. Which makes sense, because we Aspie's are hyperanalytical and prone to overstimulation. Dumbing down our brains with alcohol is an easy way to overcome these and present a facade of normalcy *IF* we've already trained ourselves and practiced how to appropriately interact socially -- otherwise we just make fools of ourselves. Basically, alcohol turns down the noise in our brains that distracts us from how we should be speaking, maintaining appropriate eye contact, providing feedback, how our body language should look, and that we should do more listening than speaking.

I am on day 3 of my fast and am determined to go long with this one. So what I’m gathering is the longer I can go past 10 days the better.
    Yes. The ideal fast is one where you fast until the return of true hunger, which is unmistakable.

You said in the past you determined 10 days the best point for results and compliance. I have plenty of body fat for fuel so I think I may go longer.
    10 days should be considered a minimum to being reaping *all* of the benefits of fasting.

I have an stem cell allograft scheduled on the 18th to further assist in correcting this autoimmune stuff I have going on. I’m thinking I might just fast through that and a couple days past to fully focus on healing. What are your thoughts on this?
    I cannot give you any medical advice on this, I can only tell you that if it was me, I would continue fasting, if for no other reason than to speed healing. But definitely listen to your body! If your body is telling you "EAT!", then eat!

Also I’ve been taking milloxicam for pain and it’s light dmard properties while I overcome this. What are your thoughts about how this would affect my fast results, and my stem cell treatment?
    Honestly, around day 10 you'll probably find that your pain and inflammation are (or are nearly) non-existent. How can you hunt if you're constantly hurting?

As to your stem cell treatment? NSAIDs are net destructive (aspirin is an exception) -- if you can get by without using them then I think that would be a very good thing. Honestly, I would ask to be put on a low dose of prednisone (5-10 mg/day) during this time and drop the NSAID, if it were me. But this is just what *I* would do based on the information you've given me. I'm not your doctor and I don't know your complete medical history so nothing I've stated in this post should be construed as medical advise. Obviously, talk with your doctor about all of these things.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Spurfy View Post
    Alcohol is the only way I can completely hide the fact that I have Asperger's in social situations. I can talk with friends, talk with strangers, pick up girls, and do everything else that "normal" people can do socially. Which makes sense, because we Aspie's are hyperanalytical and prone to overstimulation. Dumbing down our brains with alcohol is an easy way to overcome these and present a facade of normalcy *IF* we've already trained ourselves and practiced how to appropriately interact socially -- otherwise we just make fools of ourselves. Basically, alcohol turns down the noise in our brains that distracts us from how we should be speaking, maintaining appropriate eye contact, providing feedback, how our body language should look, and that we should do more listening than speaking.

Yes. The ideal fast is one where you fast until the return of true hunger, which is unmistakable.

10 days should be considered a minimum to reap *all* of the benefits of fasting.

I cannot give you any medical advise on this, I can only tell you that if it was me, I would continue fasting, if for no other reason than to speed healing.

Honestly, around day 10 you'll probably find that your pain and inflammation are (or are nearly) non-existent. How can you hunt if you're constantly hurting?

As to your stem cell treatment? NSAIDs are net destructive (aspirin is an exception) -- if you can get by without using them then I think that would be a very good thing. Honestly, I would ask to be put on a low dose of prednisone (5-10 mg/day) during this time and drop the NSAID, if it were me. But this is just what *I* would do based on the information you've given me. I'm not your doctor and I don't know your complete medical history so nothing I've stated in this post should be construed as medical advise. Obviously, talk with your doctor about all of these things.
    I appreciate the “thoughts” and have a steroid on rx if I want it per my physician. Thanks man.

10. I just caught up on this. Things are definitely getting better as the days go by. The knowledge in this thread is absolutely amazing!! Keep at it Spurfy! Your son's love is awesome!!!
    SEMPER FI!!

11. (3/9)

Dinner: 18 oz bone-in ribeye with full fat greek yogurt

12. Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post
    Here is my successful weight loss approach and understanding of how to exercise. I did this for four months straight and lost 60 lbs preserving 96% of my lean muscle mass.

My approach when on a low-calorie ketogenic diet (800-1,000 calories per day) is to target exercise intensity between 60%-70% of my maximum heart rate, commonly known as top end of the range of the “fat burning” or “oxidative energy” zone. Anything above 70% will put you in the “glycogenic energy” zone and without glucose/insulin metabolic fuel, your body is more likely to catabolize muscle.

Stay safe! Stay strong!

13. Spurfy, can you recommend anything for appetite suppression during IF?

I'd like to get to a 4 hour eating window, but I get ravenously hungry during the day..
    But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:27

14. Been pounding black coffee and I get jittery, but remain pretty hungry...
    But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:27

15. Quote Originally Posted by manifesto View Post
    Spurfy, can you recommend anything for appetite suppression during IF?

I'd like to get to a 4 hour eating window, but I get ravenously hungry during the day..
    Quote Originally Posted by manifesto View Post
    Been pounding black coffee and I get jittery, but remain pretty hungry...
    Be aware its all in your head.
    I made a mentally bond between gym and food. No gym = no food. Food is the reward after gym. On "Off days" (no gym) , its a bit harder.
    I am hairy all over, like the crotch of a menopausal hippie woman.
  16. Spurfy’s Fasting Log

Quote Originally Posted by manifesto View Post
    Spurfy, can you recommend anything for appetite suppression during IF?

The answer to your question is literally in his first post of this thread. Please read thoroughly to not dilute the valuable information in this thread

17. Lol copy that...sorry sir

18. Started fasting today. My disc pain has been horrible and all-over inflammation is very high.

Not much else to say, except that I probably will not have another meal until sometime in April.

I took a bunch of before pics and pulled no punches. Bright lights and fullly in frame. I really look like sh*t right now. It’s *amazing* how quickly fat piles on when you’re injured, sedentary, comfort eating, taking opioids for pain, and taking corticosteroids for inflammation.

I’ll try to keep a daily log going.

19. Awesome. You've got this!

One day at at time.

20. Quote Originally Posted by Spurfy View Post
    Started fasting today. My disc pain has been horrible and all-over inflammation is very high.

Not much else to say, except that I probably will not have another meal until sometime in April.

I took a bunch of before pics and pulled no punches. Bright lights and fullly in frame. I really look like sh*t right now. It’s *amazing* how quickly fat piles on when you’re injured, sedentary, comfort eating, taking opioids for pain, and taking corticosteroids for inflammation.

I'm eager to see what improvements you'll get out of fasting! The theoretical part is sorted out, now comes the practical approach.

I am hairy all over, like the crotch of a menopausal hippie woman.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Spurfy View Post
    Started fasting today. My disc pain has been horrible and all-over inflammation is very high.

Hang in there. What is your longest fast?

22. Quote Originally Posted by THOR 70 View Post
    Hang in there. What is your longest fast?
    10 days, but those were always cut short due to pressure from the (now-ex) wife. In no way did I feel the need to eat when I broke those fasts, but...

Sometimes it’s just better not to fight, especially when your wife is crazy.

I’m serious when I say that I am *fat* right now. This is the fattest I’ve ever been. Looking back, I was probably eating about 5000 calories a day while being sedentary and this was immediately following (actually very tail end of) my TE/NPP/Mast bulk, where I was already putting on fat without worry in anticipation of fasting when it warms up, and I can tell that the corticosteroids have wrecked my insulin sensitivity. A few weeks ago I had a fasting BG of 119, where I’m normally 75.
  23. Spurfy’s Fasting Log

10 days, but those were always cut short due to pressure from the (now-ex) wife. In no way did I feel the need to eat when I broke those fasts, but...

Sometimes it’s just better not to fight, especially when your wife is crazy.

I’m serious when I say that I am *fat* right now. This is the fattest I’ve ever been. Looking back, I was probably eating about 5000 calories a day while being sedentary and this was immediately following (actually very tail end of) my TE/NPP/Mast bulk, where I was already putting on fat without worry in anticipation of fasting when it warms up, and I can tell that the corticosteroids have wrecked my insulin sensitivity. A few weeks ago I had a fasting BG of 119, where I’m normally 75.
    Yeah I’m fat too. Always struggled with weight. Was 275 in college as a thrower, got down to 219 and could see abs post collegiate. I was 268 prior to my first 5 day fast a few weeks ago. Now on day 6 which is a a record for me and down in the low 240’s.

I’m really fascinated by the “true hunger” you describe. I’m wondering if this occurs when bodyfat gets so low, or a specific micronutrient runs out and the body is screaming for it. If it’s running out of fat for fuel, then I can probably go for a long time. Prob around 17% bf.

It will be interesting to see how this fast goes for you since you have ample fuel on you. Prob will be super hard at first as your body works through all the external inputs and your injuries.

Question about hydration. I’ve been drinking mineral/electrolyte water only when I feel thirsty. My urine has been pretty dark and very strong smelling. I also have 1-2 small loose bowel movements during the day. Am I under hydrating? I’m just wondering for cleaning toxins and broken down waste tissue if chugging water one or two day would be beneficial.

Thinking about doing something like chugging a gallon of distilled water before noon, then focus on sipping very rich electrolyte water the rest of the day. Thoughts?

Also, I had a weird breakout all over my back. My wife and I had never seen anything like it before, even when I was on a gram of test and had some backne. Almost looked like chicken pox. Thinking it was a detox reaction or something.

24. Quote Originally Posted by THOR 70 View Post
    Yeah I’m fat too. Always struggled with weight. Was 275 in college as a thrower, got down to 219 and could see abs post collegiate. I was 268 prior to my first 5 day fast a few weeks ago. Now on day 6 which is a a record for me and down in the low 240’s.
    Keep going. This is quality weight loss and as I've said before, any muscle you lose during fasting comes back very very quickly once you start eating and lifting again.

I’m really fascinated by the “true hunger” you describe. I’m wondering if this occurs when bodyfat gets so low, or a specific micronutrient runs out and the body is screaming for it. If it’s running out of fat for fuel, then I can probably go for a long time. Prob around 17% bf.
    My understanding is that during prolonged fasting, ghrelin is essentially completely suppressed. Once bodyfat levels reach whatever your genes say is "critically low", ghrelin massively surges and does not reduce.

The "critically low" bodyfat levels for most people will be in the 5-10% range, but unless you're an Inuit I see no reason why any man can't get and hold sub-10% bodyfat through fasting and then specific eating patterns. This "critically low" level is the signal that you no longer have enough bodyfat to meet your caloric needs and that organ and lean tissue destruction is imminent. The body will burn through skeletal muscle and then cardiac muscle when skeletal muscle is exhausted, at which point you die.

It will be interesting to see how this fast goes for you since you have ample fuel on you. Prob will be super hard at first as your body works through all the external inputs and your injuries.
    It should be pretty easy, actually. The fatter you are the more your body "wants" you to fast, metabolically speaking.

Question about hydration. I’ve been drinking mineral/electrolyte water only when I feel thirsty. My urine has been pretty dark and very strong smelling. I also have 1-2 small loose bowel movements during the day. Am I under hydrating? I’m just wondering for cleaning toxins and broken down waste tissue if chugging water one or two day would be beneficial.
    If you're not walking around thirsty then you're properly hydrated. You can cheat your way to quicker fat loss by overhydrating followed by recharging electrolytes (since you're flushing ketones that will not be used as fuel), but I don't recommend this at all since the risks far outweigh the benefits.

You might want to try a short overhydration *WITH* electrolytes, because you do have signs of what I would call "toxic overload"

The majority of very nasty environmental toxins (mercury, PCBs, pthalates, etc) are easily stored in adipocytes. When you fast these toxins are released and can cause low-grade chemical poisoning. You also may be experiencing a Jarisch–Herxheimer reaction, which is caused by toxins produced from the lysis of harmful bacteria. Probably both.

Try drinking a bit more water.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Spurfy View Post
    Keep going. This is quality weight loss and as I've said before, any muscle you lose during fasting comes back very very quickly once you start eating and lifting again.

My understanding is that during prolonged fasting, ghrelin is essentially completely suppressed. Once bodyfat levels reach whatever your genes say is "critically low", ghrelin massively surges and does not reduce.

The "critically low" bodyfat levels for most people will be in the 5-10% range, but unless you're an Inuit I see no reason why any man can't get and hold sub-10% bodyfat through fasting and then specific eating patterns. This "critically low" level is the signal that you no longer have enough bodyfat to meet your caloric needs and that organ and lean tissue destruction is imminent. The body will burn through skeletal muscle and then cardiac muscle when skeletal muscle is exhausted, at which point you die.

It should be pretty easy, actually. The fatter you are the more your body "wants" you to fast, metabolically speaking.

If you're not walking around thirsty then you're properly hydrated. You can cheat your way to quicker fat loss by overhydrating followed by recharging electrolytes (since you're flushing ketones that will not be used as fuel), but I don't recommend this at all since the risks far outweigh the benefits.

You might want to try a short overhydration *WITH* electrolytes, because you do have signs of what I would call "toxic overload"

The majority of very nasty environmental toxins (mercury, PCBs, pthalates, etc) are easily stored in adipocytes. When you fast these toxins are released and can cause low-grade chemical poisoning. You also may be experiencing a Jarisch–Herxheimer reaction, which is caused by toxins produced from the lysis of harmful bacteria. Probably both.

Try drinking a bit more water.
    Great info as always. I think I will give this a shot. I did a turpentine detox and I think I created a cytokines storm and my liver wasn’t able to process. Would diatomaceous earth be smart am and PM to try and pull any toxins?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 971
    Last Post: 03-15-2019, 10:52 PM
  2. Intermittent Fasting questions (also log)
    By rtmilburn in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-21-2015, 11:45 PM
  3. ForeRunner Labs Logging Opportunities - Act Fast!
    By Royd The Noyd in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 05:05 PM
  4. Replies: 889
    Last Post: 08-18-2010, 07:16 AM
  5. Fast Action MD1T Log
    By whitedevil74 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 05:24 PM