Cheat meals when going out to eat?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Cheat meals when going out to eat?

How often do you guys eat a cheat meal when doing a serious cut? If you go out to eat with people will you typically try to stick to the diet or do you allow yourself to cheat?

Hereís some background. Iím eating a diet that is at least 90% carnivore (some days itís completely carnivore) with the remaining 10% being made up of low carb, ketogenic plant foods. Iíve been on this diet for two weeks and I enjoy it, especially considering itís bringing about fast progress.

Today Iím going out to eat with people and they chose a sandwich shop. The only thing I can eat there is a salad and Iíd even have to ask them to remove some things from that. Do you think I should just cheat for this one meal? Do you think itís okay to cheat about twice a month? How often do you serious dieters cheat or do you stick rigidly to the diet until you reach your goal?

I know this is all subjective but I appreciate any input.

2. I should’ve mentioned I also do intermittent fasting a couple days a week. By the time I go out to eat I’ll be about 17 hours into a fast.
    •   

3. Cheat meals when going out to eat?

Dude, eat the meal? Enjoy the company, atmosphere and food. How far do you really think itíll set you back, if any?
    *Psalms 62:1-62:2*
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

4. I really don’t see any harm in two cheat meals a month. Especially if your idea of a cheat meal is a sandwich. In the grand scheme of things, that’s nothing.
    High Intensity Training log, wedding prep:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/305228-wedding-preparation-next.html

5. Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I really donít see any harm in two cheat meals a month. Especially if your idea of a cheat meal is a sandwich. In the grand scheme of things, thatís nothing.
    Pretty sure Arnold said to enjoy your luxury's and have fun. Eat what makes you happy and what you love bro. I'd like to see a pic of your sandwhich as well.
    •   

6. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post
    How often do you guys eat a cheat meal when doing a serious cut? If you go out to eat with people will you typically try to stick to the diet or do you allow yourself to cheat?

Here’s some background. I’m eating a diet that is at least 90% carnivore (some days it’s completely carnivore) with the remaining 10% being made up of low carb, ketogenic plant foods. I’ve been on this diet for two weeks and I enjoy it, especially considering it’s bringing about fast progress.

Today I’m going out to eat with people and they chose a sandwich shop. The only thing I can eat there is a salad and I’d even have to ask them to remove some things from that. Do you think I should just cheat for this one meal? Do you think it’s okay to cheat about twice a month? How often do you serious dieters cheat or do you stick rigidly to the diet until you reach your goal?

I know this is all subjective but I appreciate any input.
    Are you stepping on a stage anytime soon?
    Are you doing a photoshoot?
    Are you getting paid to count your calories and macros?

The final answer is it won't matter. Like @tyga tyga said to enjoy the food and company and move forward. It won't set you back at all just resume your normal diet. And a sandwich is absolutely nothing. I have clients in contest prep who eat a full entree and dessert through their contest prep and almost up to stage time and show up just fine when competing.

Live life, enjoy and get right back on track. Moderation fits into EVERYONE's meal plan regardless of your goal.
    Build Fast Formula VasoBlitz & FullBlitz Coupon Code: Bob15
    RXS Radiate+ Coupon Code: CPBOB

7. Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post
    I shouldíve mentioned I also do intermittent fasting a couple days a week. By the time I go out to eat Iíll be about 17 hours into a fast.
    If you are in ketosis, and you frequently lift, when you cheat, and consume carbs, it will be absorbed into your muscle as glycogen. It is not going to set you back.

8. It sounds like you're doing keto. Can you clarify this?

If you're just eating low carb and focused on fat loss, one meal isn't going to set you back at all. I prefer to save my all out cheat meals for dinner or sushi rather than lunch, but do what you enjoy. If I were in your situation I would opt for a healthier option, maybe a wrap? I wouldn't go all in and go crazy, but enjoying food will keep you balanced.

If you're doing keto my advice would be a bit different. Occasional refeeds on keto are fine, but consuming a higher carb lunch once or twice a week will interfere with keeping you in ketosis.

9. After all these years of doing this. Do what makes you happy !! I was the guy with Tupperware’s to a family dinner lol
    Now I don’t give a fuk, if I want a bagel or two I have them then just adjust the rest of the days meals
    -Chaos and Pain Rep -
    www.chaosandpain.com
    20% off = brice20 (Not my personal code - just there to hook up AM members)

10. I have a cheat meal every second week. Usually just purchase two pieces of KFC spicy breast chicken and a diet coke. thats around 500-600 calories, with a high protein though also high fat content. but beats eating pizza or McDonald's lol

11. Quote Originally Posted by john.patterson View Post
    It sounds like you're doing keto. Can you clarify this?

If you're just eating low carb and focused on fat loss, one meal isn't going to set you back at all. I prefer to save my all out cheat meals for dinner or sushi rather than lunch, but do what you enjoy. If I were in your situation I would opt for a healthier option, maybe a wrap? I wouldn't go all in and go crazy, but enjoying food will keep you balanced.

If you're doing keto my advice would be a bit different. Occasional refeeds on keto are fine, but consuming a higher carb lunch once or twice a week will interfere with keeping you in ketosis.
    Depends on his insulin sensitivity, and his muscle glycogen depletion level. I have been experimenting for months now with a ketone blood meter, the effects of being in ketosis, depleting glycogen through intense training, consuming a ton of simple carbs for dinner, and then testing ketones later. Every day producing ketones, even while eating simple carbs for dinner. The key is, have depleted glycogen stores. When you eat simple carbs, insulin will drive it all into your muscle as glycogen. Once insulin has done its job, your liver will begin to produce ketones again. Even in a strict keto diet, upon eating, you stop producing ketones, upon intense training, you will register low ketones, and upon waking, low ketones. The time in between meals we will register heightened ketones.
  12. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Emir View Post
    I have a cheat meal every second week. Usually just purchase two pieces of KFC spicy breast chicken and a diet coke. thats around 500-600 calories, with a high protein though also high fat content. but beats eating pizza or McDonald's lol
    KFC beats eating this?
    I dont know about that......

13. it does in terms of health, but damn i miss pizza.
  14. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Emir View Post
    it does in terms of health, but damn i miss pizza.
    2 pieces of chicken breast is not a cheat meal bud. 500 calories is something even my 88 year old grandma can eat everyday. That is far from something that would enhance a caloric surplus or totally a food that is "Cheat" worthy. This is something almost everyone on these boards can eat on a daily basis.

15. Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    2 pieces of chicken breast is not a cheat meal bud. 500 calories is something even my 88 year old grandma can eat everyday. That is far from something that would enhance a caloric surplus or totally a food that is "Cheat" worthy. This is something almost everyone on these boards can eat on a daily basis.
    Not with my genetics and metabolism have crashed months ago lol

16. It’s different for everybody the key is to know yourself from testing and playing with macros until you find what works for you. Im almost done with a cut went from 18% to 11-12% so far and the whole time I allowed myself to have two cheat meals a week(not cheat days). For the rest of the time I would 100% follow my diet even if I was going out

17. Well I had the sandwich and had some chocolate desert type thing later in the day. I enjoyed both and I think you guys are right about just enjoying some foods here and there that might not fit into your diet plan. I just do this for fun so I don’t have to be too too strict but at the same time I really want to achieve my goals so I need to stay disciplined most the time.

But I am doing a variation of a keto diet that leans more toward carnivore. It’s very low carb (always trying to stay below 50 grams a day). My macros are different than a true keto diet. Since I’m eating almost nothing but animal products for the majority of the day, my protein intake is much higher than a true keto diet. I’m still getting a ton of fat by doing this. I am trying to be in ketosis the majority of the time though. But I assume if I eat some bread or something and then don’t eat anymore carbs for a while I’ll just burn off that new glycogen and then re-enter ketosis soon after like @ValiantThor08 mentioned.

18. Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post
    Well I had the sandwich and had some chocolate desert type thing later in the day. I enjoyed both and I think you guys are right about just enjoying some foods here and there that might not fit into your diet plan. I just do this for fun so I donít have to be too too strict but at the same time I really want to achieve my goals so I need to stay disciplined most the time.

But I am doing a variation of a keto diet that leans more toward carnivore. Itís very low carb (always trying to stay below 50 grams a day). My macros are different than a true keto diet. Since Iím eating almost nothing but animal products for the majority of the day, my protein intake is much higher than a true keto diet. Iím still getting a ton of fat by doing this. I am trying to be in ketosis the majority of the time though. But I assume if I eat some bread or something and then donít eat anymore carbs for a while Iíll just burn off that new glycogen and then re-enter ketosis soon after like @ValiantThor08 mentioned.
    That's the key, since you eat high protein, moderate fat, you are in a state of ketosis most of the time, your glycogen stores are very low, and if you aren't eating too many meals in a day, you will have heightened insulin sensitivity. When you do eat those simple carbs, it is going straight into your muscle.

19. I think there are two sides to this. On one hand people can be too loose. They can turn a cheat meal into 2 cheats, into 3, into a diet that is completely out of control.

On the other hand, you have to be realistic and allow some room for enjoyment and flexibility.

For me, on a very strict diet I will have a cheat once a week. And I allow this meal to be whatever I want. I try not to eat 3,000 calories in 1 meal but if I feel like something in that one meal I have it. Often, looking forward go bacon cheeseburger with fries and onion rings, or whatever, will get me through the week.

On a less than crazy strict diet, something like a couple slices of bread should be something you can accommodate in your macros with very little concern.

Now, if ketosis is your goal then adjust and order something that fits your goal.

Focus on what you actually want and adjust to the situation and don't worry about things.

I have had times where I sat at parties, lunch meetings, whatever ...and ate nothing or just had a black coffee. Order whatever you want and don't call a roll a cheat meal. A cheat should be a psychological and physiological break.
    "I've never seen anyone change his mind because of the power of a superior argument or the acquisition of new facts. But I've seen plenty of people change behavior to avoid being mocked." -Scott Adams

20. Quote Originally Posted by ValiantThor08 View Post
    That's the key, since you eat high protein, moderate fat, you are in a state of ketosis most of the time, your glycogen stores are very low, and if you aren't eating too many meals in a day, you will have heightened insulin sensitivity. When you do eat those simple carbs, it is going straight into your muscle.
    That’s a good point. I actually ate a little more carbs than usual yesterday and today I thought my muscles looked more pumped. They probably had more glycogen than I’ve been used to lately.

21. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    I think there are two sides to this. On one hand people can be too loose. They can turn a cheat meal into 2 cheats, into 3, into a diet that is completely out of control.

On the other hand, you have to be realistic and allow some room for enjoyment and flexibility.

For me, on a very strict diet I will have a cheat once a week. And I allow this meal to be whatever I want. I try not to eat 3,000 calories in 1 meal but if I feel like something in that one meal I have it. Often, looking forward go bacon cheeseburger with fries and onion rings, or whatever, will get me through the week.

On a less than crazy strict diet, something like a couple slices of bread should be something you can accommodate in your macros with very little concern.

Now, if ketosis is your goal then adjust and order something that fits your goal.

Focus on what you actually want and adjust to the situation and don't worry about things.

I have had times where I sat at parties, lunch meetings, whatever ...and ate nothing or just had a black coffee. Order whatever you want and don't call a roll a cheat meal. A cheat should be a psychological and physiological break.
    Good point. I’d say 99% of Americans would’ve considered that sandwich to be a healthy choice. I only called it a cheat meal because it basically contained all or more carbs than I’ve been allowing myself in a day. It was definitely far from a traditional cheat meal like a cheesesteak or slice of pizza.

22. Are you prepping for a competitive show or professional photo shoot? If not, itís not a major issue, and unlikely to have lasting effects on your progress anyway. Carnivore or whatever is fine, but a high carb meal isnít going to break you. Keep the calories manageable if you can and itís not much of a cheat at all if itís just more carbs than normal.

23. People often eat good but then they go home lay in the bed and have a pizza. If you work out beyond what's reasonable for an average guy you can eat more and cheat more. It's really hard to say what YOU can have and how it effects you personally.

I have times when I don't bulk and cheatmeals can be a little harder to get away with but when I train to build and especially if I'm on gear I eat all day, work out all muscles twice a week and can easily get away with a pizza and ice cream on a Saturday. In fact I think it's helping me more than it does damage. The more muscles you have the more important sugars become to keep weight. You should be able to tell by looking in the mirror once a week wether you're going backwards or forward.

24. Quote Originally Posted by BloodManor View Post
    After all these years of doing this. Do what makes you happy !! I was the guy with Tupperwareís to a family dinner lol
    Now I donít give a fuk, if I want a bagel or two I have them then just adjust the rest of the days meals
    I eat a bagel or 2 every morning and im still dropping fat and getting bigger. Pretty much a staple breakfast item for me.

25. Quote Originally Posted by YoungThor View Post
    Well I had the sandwich and had some chocolate desert type thing later in the day. I enjoyed both and I think you guys are right about just enjoying some foods here and there that might not fit into your diet plan. I just do this for fun so I donít have to be too too strict but at the same time I really want to achieve my goals so I need to stay disciplined most the time.

But I am doing a variation of a keto diet that leans more toward carnivore. Itís very low carb (always trying to stay below 50 grams a day). My macros are different than a true keto diet. Since Iím eating almost nothing but animal products for the majority of the day, my protein intake is much higher than a true keto diet. Iím still getting a ton of fat by doing this. I am trying to be in ketosis the majority of the time though. But I assume if I eat some bread or something and then donít eat anymore carbs for a while Iíll just burn off that new glycogen and then re-enter ketosis soon after like @ValiantThor08 mentioned.
    Have you started having dreams (nightmares) about carbs yet? Whenever I do a similar diet, I always get dreams where I'm raiding my fridge at night of carbs, and then I wake up in the morning worried if I was sleep walking or if it was just a dream lol
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 09:24 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 10:23 AM
  3. puking when i try to eat
    By EctoMorphius in forum Bulking
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 09:09 PM
  4. What to eat between meals?
    By chainsaw in forum Weight Loss