Struggling with weight

juice2018

Awards
I'm 40 yrs old 286 lbs and 5'3"
Ive been thin most of my life but struggled with my weight for the last 8 to 10 years.
i've tried many diets but recently made a change to eating healthier and doing some exercise. Over the last few months ive lost a few inches but my weight has not changed more than about 5 to 10 lbs. Currently I have 1400 to 1800 calories per day with high protein (>100 g/day) and low carbs. I seem to struggle to go higher then this with my calories. Any suggestions? I really need to get this weight off and get fit!!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hey bro,

I’m sorry I’m short on time tonight as I could write for hours on this but wanted to at least get you a quick response to start with....

I dropped 140lbs around 5 years back so I’ve been in your shoes by the way....

1) how are you tracking calories/Macros? Needs to be accurate as poss so weighing food and using MyFitnessPal or similar.

2) IMO your protein intake needs to be 1g per lb bw at least (personally I go much higher).

3) your calories are way way too low. Even without calculating your AMR at 286lbs it’s not going to be below 2,000. You want to be in a small calorie deficit (2-400 per day) for a long time.

4) green tea is amazing stuff - drink it or take extract tablets

5) drink at least 3-4 litres water a day

6) sleep 8 hours a night (good sleep and weight loss - honestly you’d be amazed how important this is)

7) what’s your exercise like? At your weight/height id suggest low impact LISS type stuff to start (stationary bike, incline treadmill walking etc)

8) see this as a life long endeavour - it sounds life you’ve made a lifestyle change which is great as that’s what it has to be. Don’t rush it - a lb a week would still be over 100lbs in 2 years. Make the changes sustainable for life and enjoy the process.

Good luck bro - many others on this site have achieved similar things so I’m sure you’ll get more comments and help

lindabrock

lindabrock

Awards
Hi there, reducing weight is an easy task if you are following proper balanced diet and daily exercise. My sister is following diet guide from Cellublue and according to her she has seen good changes in her body. I think diet guide help you better for maintaining weight.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Hey bro,

I’m sorry I’m short on time tonight as I could write for hours on this but wanted to at least get you a quick response to start with....

I dropped 140lbs around 5 years back so I’ve been in your shoes by the way....

1) how are you tracking calories/Macros? Needs to be accurate as poss so weighing food and using MyFitnessPal or similar.

2) IMO your protein intake needs to be 1g per lb bw at least (personally I go much higher).

3) your calories are way way too low. Even without calculating your AMR at 286lbs it’s not going to be below 2,000. You want to be in a small calorie deficit (2-400 per day) for a long time.

4) green tea is amazing stuff - drink it or take extract tablets

5) drink at least 3-4 litres water a day

6) sleep 8 hours a night (good sleep and weight loss - honestly you’d be amazed how important this is)

7) what’s your exercise like? At your weight/height id suggest low impact LISS type stuff to start (stationary bike, incline treadmill walking etc)

8) see this as a life long endeavour - it sounds life you’ve made a lifestyle change which is great as that’s what it has to be. Don’t rush it - a lb a week would still be over 100lbs in 2 years. Make the changes sustainable for life and enjoy the process.

Good luck bro - many others on this site have achieved similar things so I’m sure you’ll get more comments and help
Was reading through this wondering when you were gonna comment on this... Then look back to see you were the first comment on there lol

Sarah Van Loo

Awards
I love my mini trampoline. It’s great for when it’s too cold to run outside and I’ve been using it TONS since I had to cancel my gym membership.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It is an open debate but can you do fasted cardio first thing in the morning? Even if it is a brisk walk around the block, with the dog (if you have one) etc....

Agreed with another poster, 14-1800 seems low. Add perhaps calories til you hit 2000, see where this goes and of you start losing weight, great, once it ceases than drop the cals again.

You need to burn 3500 calories more than you eat to lose 1lb, so if you burn say 1000 cals more per day x 7 days, you will have lost 2 lbs....

Toff

Awards
  • Established
Ive not been thin since my late teens.
Since then i drank alcohol = gut bacteria on the floor, calories from alcohol.

Im now finally getting thinner by
a) boosting my fibre (i thought fibre was just stuff that kept you unblocked but its actually FOOD for your gut bacteria - i stick fbire in my coffee and it dissolves, no taste! b) reduce alcohol if this is soemthing you do by going single shot 0.9 units and loads of sugar free tonic
c) Full body workout 4 times a week - NEW research shows 40% increase in muscle mass over 3 day split with 4 day full body - more calories burned all over.