Fasting, ketosis, carbs, and gains (is it possible)

T

TommyC

Awards
Before I ask any questions please know that I’m actually going to try this diet for a few weeks in the next month or so. Not a lost pup with a ton of questions, just need to see what the hype is about and would love your input if you have any.

Main premise is to structure carb/calorie intake around my workout (I workout 5 days a week) with the intention of getting into some level (mediocre at minimal) of ketosis prior to those 6-7 hours of feeding. Would look something like this:

Breakfast: coffee + keto salts
2 pm: break fast and have a high protein meal
5 pm: high carb/protein meal
7 pm: workout
Post workout drink
9 pm: high carb/protein meal

Macros look like 1g P/LB, 1g C/LB, ~ 50 g fat. Calories are in line with maintenance.

Use of L-carntine around carbs, oh and I’m currently starting Folidrone 2.0.

Question being: ya think I’ll be successful in loosing fat while gainaing muscle? I.e. getting into ketosis in that 16 hour fasted state? OR, should I continue with my 5 meals a day and see how folidrone makes use of it. Curious to see what some say is too many carbs even for a 16 hour fasted state.

Currently in an office environment bringing 2 tubbaware meals a day - getting a little ridiculous. Haters are welcome to tear this apart. Though there are health benefit to being in a fasted state, I’m currently more focused on gaining muscle while on some level losing fat.

Sniper9191

Sniper9191

Awards
I don’t see how much you weigh to see what your calories will be at.
I have been in and out of Ketosis for about 8months of the last year.
I am not an expert to say no means, but I have learned a lot about my own body.
I see you possibly getting into Ketosis, but with that much carbs I personally wouldn’t.
I put on size slower in Keto but I felt so much better. So I try to stay on it.
I normally stay under 50carbs. I was losing body fat solid and just tried to do 25% P 70%F 5% C. Even when I upped my calories if I hit those percentages I was good.
I do sometimes IF as well.

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Don't know if I can do this but KETOGAINS on FB!!!

Sniper9191

Sniper9191

Awards
Lol
There is a lot of good info out there.
Ketosavage and The ketogenic athlete podcast I like.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
OP I would like to clarify that having ketones present doesn’t equal ketosis per say. It took me two days of fasting with two moderately hard workouts to get into deep ketosis per keto stick reading. My point is, unless your workouts are marathons and you blow through your glycogen stores, you’re probably not into deep ketosis or ketogenically adapted

B

Biomeddood

Awards
LOL OP. Guys are correct. You are not even close to keto.

Whole point of keto is to empty your carb sources in the body and eventually forcing it to tab into fats for energy expenditure. And this process alone can take anywhere from 3 days to 10 days, depending on your body weight, BMI, carb level, etc. Typical guideline is under 30g net carbs DAILY.

All this to keep your insulin spike that carbs usually cause. If are carbing out, you are doing exactly the opposite and there's no way your body will EVER tab in to making ketones.

I just started a keto diet this week (day 5 now) and I'm still not in keto yet (according to the urine strip tests I did this morning). I'm eating 300 cals under deficit and 25g net carbs daily with 30 mins HIT daily. But eating tons of fats definitely make it a LOT EASIER than typical , low carb-high protein diets.

I do BulletProof coffee in the AM and that easily takes me to lunch without eating anything else. Then it's just small simple meals (heck, I ate 3 scrambled eggs and 3 pieces turkey bacon with 1/2 avocado for lunch today!). Just had salmon steak plus spinach for dinner and sipping green tea.

Have lost about 3lbs in 5 days but most of it has been bloatness/water weight.

What I also like the constant energy I've been getting throughout the day with fats..it's not like carbs where it crashes later. And surprisingly, I don't fart much either ...LOL.

B

buttersb

Awards
Depending on when you last eat at night, if you can do straight coffe with no cream, butter, mct or whatever then it's not very hard to get to get that 16hr mark between meals to incorporate IF (Intermittent Fasting) with your routine.

I typically last eat around 7pm the night before on cardio days, just do water/coffee (black) until 11 am lunch the next day. It really does wonders in pushing weight loss.

T

TommyC

Awards
Thanks for the response. I’m giving it a go.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Question being: ya think I’ll be successful in loosing fat while gainaing muscle? I.e. getting into ketosis in that 16 hour fasted state? OR, should I continue with my 5 meals a day and see how folidrone makes use of it. Curious to see what some say is too many carbs even for a 16 hour fasted state.

Currently in an office environment bringing 2 tubbaware meals a day - getting a little ridiculous. Haters are welcome to tear this apart. Though there are health benefit to being in a fasted state, I’m currently more focused on gaining muscle while on some level losing fat.
Whether you decide to do keto or not, you need to choose a goal (weight gain or weight loss) and adjust your calories. Keto has it's benefits, fasting has it's benefits; but you will be spinning your wheels if you are eating maintenance calories. While both of these can be effective strategies, they aren't anything magical.

It sounds like the AM crew has helped steer you in the right direction with keto - what you've outlined won't put your body in a ketogenic state for a long enough period to reap any benefits from it. Keto macros are more along the lines of 70%f / 25%p / 5%c, or something along those lines. Even keeping your protein intake at 1g per pound can make it difficult to enter ketosis.

My recommendation would be to give keto a try and see how you like it. If you've read about it and are interested in it, go 100% and commit to it for 4-6 weeks. Eat high fat and drop your carbs, see how you feel - some love it and some hate it. Lifting heavy will be a challenge, but you can adapt and learn to overcome it if you enjoy the way you feel while doing keto.

Regarding fasting, there are no real true benefits over IF compared to a traditional diet. Your overall calories will determine your success, so don't succumb to the hype of intermittent fasting. If it works for your schedule, great. But if you prefer to eat more frequently, work out your macros/calories and do that instead.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh it's possible. :)

T

TommyC

Awards
Whether you decide to do keto or not, you need to choose a goal (weight gain or weight loss) and adjust your calories. Keto has it's benefits, fasting has it's benefits; but you will be spinning your wheels if you are eating maintenance calories. While both of these can be effective strategies, they aren't anything magical.

It sounds like the AM crew has helped steer you in the right direction with keto - what you've outlined won't put your body in a ketogenic state for a long enough period to reap any benefits from it. Keto macros are more along the lines of 70%f / 25%p / 5%c, or something along those lines. Even keeping your protein intake at 1g per pound can make it difficult to enter ketosis.

My recommendation would be to give keto a try and see how you like it. If you've read about it and are interested in it, go 100% and commit to it for 4-6 weeks. Eat high fat and drop your carbs, see how you feel - some love it and some hate it. Lifting heavy will be a challenge, but you can adapt and learn to overcome it if you enjoy the way you feel while doing keto.

Regarding fasting, there are no real true benefits over IF compared to a traditional diet. Your overall calories will determine your success, so don't succumb to the hype of intermittent fasting. If it works for your schedule, great. But if you prefer to eat more frequently, work out your macros/calories and do that instead.
Thanks. Really insightful. Actually been in ketosis before (I was an original N = 1 study participant when it first came out back in like 2012). Macros were 5% Carbs and maybe 25% protein (you’re absolutely right with protein kicking you out of ketosis, too much turns into glucose) and like 70% fat. Honestly couldn’t get out of the sluggish stage, even after 8 weeks. Lost a good amount of fat, could run longer and was shredded - But, blood chemistry didn’t take it well. Huge increase in HDL and cholesterol, pimples everywhere on my back. Idk man, I’m irish, my ancestors lived off potatoes for life or some **** and my genes just hate it.

Perhaps your right, with the IF hype getting to me - grass always seems greener. I think I’m looking for a diet/workout routine that kicks up metabolism during a rested state. I’m in finance and practically live inside a computer all day. Maybe have 5 hours to myself on a regular day.

Appreciate your post. Taking a look at maybe running in the morning/working out at night - heard it doesn’t effect muscle gains if spread out a certain amount of time.