Ketogenic diet converts

AldrichAStern

Awards
There seem to be a lot of people here who've posted good reviews about the ketogenic diet, CKD in particular, and yet have made a permanent switch over to 40/40/20 (Bobo included haha... I saw an old post of yours). I'd like to hear some of your reasons that you felt more comfortable with a 40/40/20 diet despite having success with CKD at first.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I didn't really notice a fat burning difference and I like carbs

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There seem to be a lot of people here who've posted good reviews about the ketogenic diet, CKD in particular, and yet have made a permanent switch over to 40/40/20 (Bobo included haha... I saw an old post of yours). I'd like to hear some of your reasons that you felt more comfortable with a 40/40/20 diet despite having success with CKD at first.
I get to single digit bf% much easier.

Many people just stall out around 10-14% due to the negative aspects of carb depletion. Many of my clients come to me because of this fact.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've lost fat both ways, and it seems like results initially come faster when I cut carbs, but in the long run, I think the type of carbs you eat is what matters. I feel much better eating a moderate amount of high fiber, low-gi carbs. Keeps my blood sugar nice and level even on a cal deficit. Like most people, I'm not very fun to be around while carb depleted. It's just not the way I want to spend my time! ;)

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
The problem, as I see it, is that people think it's all about not eating carbs at all which is a huge mistake. They hear "Atkins Diet" and think not eating carbs is all it entails. Sure, you drop them drastically for a minimum of 2 weeks but when you get within 10 lbs. of your goal, you start adding them back. I think this is where people make the biggest mistakes. I've gotten down to single digits this way more often and faster than any other diet I've tried including the 40/40/20. Not to mention sparing/adding lean mass in the process. You have to read more than just the first couple of pages in the book to get the full benefits.

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the only bonus of CKD is that i felt i gained mass, on 40-40-20 i seem to lose mass a bit more quickly

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the only bonus of CKD is that i felt i gained mass, on 40-40-20 i seem to lose mass a bit more quickly
It has the opposite effect for me. Glycogen stores stay up much better when I run a 40/40/20 diet, which allows me to stay fairly "dense" while at the same time drop a few unwanted pounds.

TheTom

Awards
  • Established
I am a convert for life. I use to preach Keto and cut Keto all the time.

Then I started reading heavily into Bobo's philosophies and applying them to my lifestyle, and I've never been leaner, this muscular and less hungry, than I am now a days.

Ever since giving up on Keto, I've tried all sorts of variations on the low fat, high carb, high protein diet, and they all seem to work better than Keto, as long as I take my calories into consideration.

The secret really is making sure your getting the right type of fats, and ONLY those types of fats.

If you cut out every single gram of fat in your current diet, and replace them with only good fats. Like flax seed oil/fish oil/natural pnb/olive oil, and only eat 3g-4g of them per meal, its actually pretty damn hard to become a fat ass.

Try bulking with your fats only coming from those sources. It'll becomes pretty hard to gain bodyfat, even on a bulk! Especially when your only eating 25g-30g of fat a day and it only comes from extremely healthy sources. :thumbsup:

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The secret really is making sure your getting the right type of fats, and ONLY those types of fats.

If you cut out every single gram of fat in your current diet, and replace them with only good fats. Like flax seed oil/fish oil/natural pnb/olive oil, and only eat 3g-4g of them per meal, its actually pretty damn hard to become a fat ass.

Try bulking with your fats only coming from those sources. It'll becomes pretty hard to gain bodyfat, even on a bulk! Especially when your only eating 25g-30g of fat a day and it only comes from extremely healthy sources. :thumbsup:
I think I've found my diet strategy for my next bulk. ;) Thanks.

AldrichAStern

Awards
I think that the whole "muscle retention" property of ketogenic diets is a myth, stemming from the fact that people often don't have success with other types of diets except for CKD, and therefore can't disprove the myth from their own experience and pass it on. I know from my own experience this was the case... I was pretty hardcore CKD, stating its awesome properties whenever someone who ask me why I'm doing a low carb diet. The truth is my lifts all went down a good 15-20%... right now, I'm on 40/40/20, gaining a fair amount of strength while cutting, and not feeling like **** all week long.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't agree more. When I started cutting for the first time, I started with a CKD. I kept everything super-strict, and during that second week it was awful - I would be pushing my normal weight and then just hit a brick wall. I still had plenty of energy - but not enough glycogen to facilitate anerobic exercise. Things picked up a bit after I started the weekend carb-ups, but I never quite regained my previous level of strength. I *did* lose about 2% bodyfat over the 6 weeks I did the CKD, but I knew I was starting to loose muscle, so I stopped and just ate maitenence cals until my strength came back up.

Now that Ive started cutting with a 35/45/20 diet, I feel better than I ever have! Bodyfat is steadily decreasing, and yet Im gaining strength and looking better every week. The key is to eat the right combination of foods at the right times, and always do the amount of cardio that's necessary for you to burn off about 1lb/week.

I think wanting to go with a CKD initially was a subconsious aversion to cardio after years of cardio-free bulking, which in retrospect was an enormous mistake. Since Ive been getting in 30 min 4 days a week, Ive never felt better.

BV

BioAS

Awards
I have had great success so far with bodyopus diet. This is a CKD diet for the those that

dont know. I have gone from 40.5" waist to a 37.5" waist stalled and this is when I started
my bodyopus diet. Now I am down to 34" waist line. Strength is down now that I am coming
off a cycle. I am also using PCT after cycle along with GHRP6. Goal is to get down to 32".

An additional note: I have only lost 14 lbs. 190 at 40.5" waist to 174 at 34" waist. It has been a
total of 16-17 weeks since I started everything.

I simple like the diet becuase I have days I eat whatever I want, even though I am not suppose to
do this I still do it and seem to continue with good results.

AldrichAStern

Awards
yeah the only thing that I liked about CKD is that calories didn't seem to add up. I would be carb loading on crap on 7k cal a week, putting my average daily caloric intake for the whole week at nearly maintenance, and yet losing 1-2 lbs a week.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Being (type 2) diabetic I was a keto dieter by necessity.

I did eat some carbs during the 'honeymoon' (period after onset where you still have some insulin function). Eventually I had to switch to full keto, both for cutting and bulking, to keep glucose under control. I lost strength, workouts were always a chore to get through, and on the bulk I gained mostly fat.

I have been on insulin for the last few weeks now on a 35/35/30'ish diet and the difference is significant. Muscles have filled out, strength is going back up, and I in the gym I have regained that feeling of being able to move the earth.

I think keto is good for shaking a sweet tooth addiction but not the best in the long run. That said I now have oatmeal cravings since going on the needle.