KETO & MACRO Advice

theodorehelle

Awards
Hi Everyone,

I have been on keto on and off for a while now and have lost some weight down from 250 - 223LBS and now measuring 6'2" & ~22% body fat. I have now hit a wall. I lift 5-6 times a week back & biceps, chest & abs and tri's, legs, cardio, repeat. I Int Fast with late lunch (~3 PM), dinner (~8PM) snack at 9:30PM. If anyone has advice for breaking through the wall that would be great. I haven't kept good track of my macro's which I think is the major issue and I think my fat consumption vs protein consumption may be off as I have a very high fat my meals are now consisting of the following:

9AM - 2 big cups of coffee + Anabolic Freak + Ur Spray (just started using the spray this week and the test boosters for 2 weeks now)
1PM - (Pre workout) Test HP, Anabolic Freak, Creatine and Amino Energy
3PM - Small Salad (greens, broccoli, 1 egg, tuna & mayo) + Pink Salt
8PM - Big salad (greens, broccoli, cheese, bacon or salami/chorizo etc, olive oil, avocado, almonds)
9:30 - almonds, cheese, salami or chorizo slices

Any advice on routine, Macro breakdown, exercise routine, supplementation etc. to hit a target weight of 205-210 that would be great. Thanks everyone.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Do you intend on staying on the keto diet?

Download MyFitnessPal, weigh your foods and log them and you will know what your actual caloric intake and macros are

theodorehelle

Awards
Ya I think I might stay on it for a while. I will mix in a cheat day every once in a while but its been fairly easy for me to do. I'll look at MyFitnessPal. Thanks!

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
You just need the free version of MFP

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
I'd recommend cutting the nuts and dairy and see what happens for you :) not only will it improve inflammation but the scale will also reflect. Keep in mind about 11 almonds or something is 100 calories. Easiest thing to overeat on is nuts and dairy. As far as macros...do u have a guesstimate on current consumption?

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
Ya I think I might stay on it for a while. I will mix in a cheat day every once in a while but its been fairly easy for me to do. I'll look at MyFitnessPal. Thanks!
Ive been doing int fasting also. I usually have one cheat day every other Saturday. That being said I still fast on my cheat days.

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing int fasting for 6 months and I've lost 60 lbs and kept most of my strength, so I think the every other week cheat day system works well.

theodorehelle

Awards
Ah ok, very helpful. Thank you. An estimate of my macros (from Stupid Simple Keto calculator) would be 25-30 grams of Carbs, 150-165 grams of fat, 80-100 grams of Protein.

theodorehelle

Awards
Ah ok, very helpful. Thank you. An estimate of my macros (from Stupid Simple Keto calculator) would be 25-30 grams of Carbs, 150-165 grams of fat, 80-100 grams of Protein.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Protein requirements vary depending on where you go. If you are lifting heavy and regularly, I've seen as high as 1-1.2g/lb of LBM. Keto is protein sparing, though.

I would keep all carbs coming from greens

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Woody is right keep protein to 1g/lb at least if you're working out regularly! Just my humble opinion but It'll help you stay satiated and full for longer! Keto is protein sparing but only to a point, if you're bashing your muscles and laying off the protein, you are more likely to loose lbm! Try stick to 20g NET for the first couple of months to help for a nice adaption, then you can fiddle a bit easier. All carbs should be incidentals from greens nuts ect but if you are going to eat something with 10g carbs or so in one hit, eat with some fat and protein to help minimise a change in blood sugar :)

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
I'll hit ya up with some better macros for your weight and body fat% once I'm home from the gym if you are interested

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
If you're desperate and you're willing to try something a little different try nothing but steak and eggs for at least a week and if need be two weeks and measure your Macros. That always tends to work for well me.

theodorehelle

Awards
Wimsicle - That would be awesome! I am struggling with the amount of protein needed. Woody indicated 1gr for everylb of LBM and I this seems to be the standard but I'm finding it hard to do without gaining lbs. Your help is appreciated.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
KETO & MACRO Advice

Wimsicle - That would be awesome! I am struggling with the amount of protein needed. Woody indicated 1gr for everylb of LBM and I this seems to be the standard but I'm finding it hard to do without gaining lbs. Your help is appreciated.
I'm on 2000 cals... 10-20 carbs (eggplant, zucchini,mushrooms, spinach, avocado), 150g protein, 145g fat.

Though, today I had about 40g carbs because I wanted some sweets, so I picked up some skinny cow low carb treaties.

theodorehelle

Awards
I started using stupid simple keto to track my macros and I yesterday I was only at 1500 cals!? I feel like this has to be off. 18g Carbs (from greens & avocado, broccoli) 111g fat, 90g of protein. Sounds like I really need to up the protein. I use the Fitbit Aria scale and total weight has been fairly flat this week at an average of 222.7 Lbs. This morning was 222.5 lbs and 19.9% body fat (lower reading this morning than the rest the week) ~21.5% body fat. I might try to mix in a couple of protein shakes one at lunch and one at night.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Assume you weighed your food not just eyeballing?

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
You should really weigh your food to be accurate!

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
You need to weigh your food for a few weeks at least and then you could probably eyeball, personally I still weigh all my food even down to brown sauce etc if I add it to a meal, the only time I eyeball is when eating out / at family or friends as people think I am obsessive aready without getting a set of scales out

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
theodorehelle

Run with something like this for a few weeks and see how it goes. You will need to track your food to make sure your intake is actually correct.
Based on the stats you've posted, this will be a 20% deficit.

Macros:
Calories: 1829
Protein: 174g (1g/lb LBM)
Fats: 117g (primarily from oils like coconut, olive, ghee, KetOil, animal product, and avocado. Try and avoid dairy/nuts for a few weeks and see what happens.
Carbs: 20g NET Carbs

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just curious, but wouldn't that much protein throw him out of keto and into an awkward stage

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Just curious, but wouldn't that much protein throw him out of keto and into an awkward stage
Why would the protein throw him off? Gluconeogenesis is on a supply and demand basis in pretty sure

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
That's what I don't like about a strict ketogenic diet nowhere near enough Protein can be consumed with it being converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis and therefore kicking you out / preventing you from going into ketosis, although this is a hot topic of debate in the BB world. I prefer to call it a LCHF diet as a true keto diet (fats @ 75%, protein @ 20% and carbs @ 5%) is probably best suited to sedentary obese people.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Would eating that amount of protein stop you going into ketosis in the first place?
I eat .8g per lbm every day and have never had trouble getting into ketosis. If i knock myself out due to a cheat meal, and hop right back on my macros the next day.. I am usually into ketosis and getting solid blood ketone readings within 23-26 hours.

However, I would probably consider myself as a 'fat-adapted' individual and that may play a part. I do believe if you eat between .8-1.2g per day, you will still have no trouble getting into ketosis.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
What about intracarbs ?
Carbs are carbs, if you eat over the allotted amount 20-30g net a day, you'll be kicked out.

I follow a TKD, consuming 15g of high GI carbs pre workout. The goal of this is to promote post-workout glycogen synthesis. It does knock you out of ketosis temporarily for a short time period (sometimes instantly, sometimes a little delayed), but as glucose goes into the muscles and insulin begins to drop back down, ketosis will start again typically a few hours after your workout.

theodorehelle

Awards
Thanks everyone this is very helpful.

I am going to stick to .8 -1g of protein x LBM
174g Protein
116g fat
20g carbs

I have thrown in a zero carb protein shake after my workout and right before lunch and will throw in additional protein into dinner to hit the 174 target. Would 10-20 grams of protein be optimal to consume before lifting? This would break my fast early so not sure if it would help or not.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone this is very helpful.

I am going to stick to .8 -1g of protein x LBM
174g Protein
116g fat
20g carbs

I have thrown in a zero carb protein shake after my workout and right before lunch and will throw in additional protein into dinner to hit the 174 target. Would 10-20 grams of protein be optimal to consume before lifting? This would break my fast early so not sure if it would help or not.
Try 20-25g protein and 1 tbls Mct oil 30-45min before workout to Jumpstart MPS