New diet... thoughts?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Goal: Drop BF. If scale weight drops too? Yippe. If not, don't give a **** as long as the BF comes down.

Current BF: 22%. This was a few motnhs ago and I am definitely leaner since then. Going with the 22% measurement though.

Diet (Weight Training Days - M/W/F/S/S)

#1:

6oz chicken breast (52.8/0/6.1) 266.1 cals.
11oz Sweet Potato (6.6/64.7/1.1) 287.1 cals

#2:

6oz chicken breast (52.8/0/6.1) 266.1
1TBSP Flax Oil (0.0/14) 126 cals
2 Cups broccoli (not counting cals)

#3:

6oz chicken breast (52.8/0/6.1) 266.1
1TBSP Flax Oil (0.0/14) 126 cals
2 Cups broccoli (not counting cals)

#4 (pre-workout - about 5:30pm):

180 grams oatmeal (28.8/120.6/11.3) 691 cals
60 gram whey shake (46/4/5) 240cals

Train (about 7pm)

#5 (post-workout - about 9pm)

70 grams oatmeal (11.2/46.9/4.4) 269 cals
30 gram whey shake (23/2/2.5) 120cals

Total cals: 2657
Protein: 267
Carbs: 237
Fat: 58.4

This is based on what I WILL have eaten today. Not quite 40/40/20 but fairly close. Cals are about 160 more than I want, but right now... I seem to be starving (listens to tummy growl).

I wanted to put majority of my carbs around my workout.

Math might be a bit off on the totals but they should be pretty close.

Cardio done either for 30 mins following a workout or for 45-60 mins first thing in the morning. Slow to moderate wins the race.

Have at me. Anything I miss?

Thanks

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
it looks pretty solid .. my only suggestion is to sub out the chicken in the morning and put in egg whites only to break up the monotony ... what do you weigh right now?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I'd reduce the volume of oatmeal immediately pre-workout (to 1/2 cup), have one big whey shake pre/during, have some form of slow digesting protein immediately after the workout, switch some whole beans and salsa (black or lentil are best) for the sweet potato, throw a bit more veggies in each meal (vary it up a bit more too) and have some cottage cheese with ground up flax seeds immediately before bed. Also I'd switch the flax oil for ground up flax seeds and maybe take a few fish oil caps for good measure.

How heavy are you now, and how active are you?

/me quits impersonating a bodybuilder :rofl:

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
it looks pretty solid .. my only suggestion is to sub out the chicken in the morning and put in egg whites only to break up the monotony ... what do you weigh right now?
Thanks for the input Glen.

Current 276lbs. Waist: 40"

I did a modified UD2 (diet only) for 6 weeks to try and quickly drop some of the 20lbs I gained when I had to take 8 weeks off. I was 283 then with a 42" waist. Definitely getting leaner.

I thought of the egg whites in the morning. I may alternate between the chicken/yams and egg whites/oatmeal in the morning just to switch it up. On the whole, though, I do not mind monotony. The simplier the better for me :D

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'd reduce the volume of oatmeal immediately pre-workout (to 1/2 cup), have one big whey shake pre/during, have some form of slow digesting protein immediately after the workout, switch some whole beans and salsa (black or lentil are best) for the sweet potato, throw a bit more veggies in each meal (vary it up a bit more too) and have some cottage cheese with ground up flax seeds immediately before bed. Also I'd switch the flax oil for ground up flax seeds and maybe take a few fish oil caps for good measure.

How heavy are you now, and how active are you?

/me quits impersonating a bodybuilder :rofl:
Weight mentioned in previous post.

Active... pretty active minus the desk job lol. Seriously, my training and cardio makes up for any lack of activeness I get from work.

Beans and lentils are out. I'd rather slit my wrists then eat that ****. lol. Yams are low GI.

Expain your rational for slow digesting protein directly after training. Everything I've read contradicts this this.

Thanks for chiming in. Much appreciated :)

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
i would try to round up the protien up to 300g ed

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Weight mentioned in previous post.

Active... pretty active minus the desk job lol. Seriously, my training and cardio makes up for any lack of activeness I get from work.

Beans and lentils are out. I'd rather slit my wrists then eat that ****. lol. Yams are low GI.

Expain your rational for slow digesting protein directly after training. Everything I've read contradicts this this.

Thanks for chiming in. Much appreciated :)
If you take in ~70g of fast digesting protein spread out pre-during, you will have more than enough rapidly acting protein in your system (the amino acid release profile of whey is about 3 hours). At that point you just want to take in a slowly digesting source of protein that will not be as readily converted into glucose in the liver.

That's the first time I've ever heard someone say they like the taste of yams over black beans with salsa... Different strokes I guess. Yams are moderately low GI (not as low as beans/lentils) and they're less nutritious. Your call man. Beezlebub was a big fan of the sweet potatos, he seemed to indicate that he experienced better weight loss when he subbed them out for beans (which is really what I would expect).

Considering your weight, you should do just FINE with an extra 400-500 calories - in case you're having emotional issues with eating around 2600 calories.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
keep in mind that every foods GI changes when its consumed with other foods .. a meal consisting of only a yam will have a higher GÉ than a meal consisting`of a yam and a lean protein source

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
keep in mind that every foods GI changes when its consumed with other foods .. a meal consisting of only a yam will have a higher GI than a meal consisting of a yam and a lean protein source
Yep yep. I'm more about the GR of an entire meal and not so much about the individual food sources themselves.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
The information I've seen suggests that protein may act to increase the GR of a meal.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not even close to the calories you need.

And 70g of Whey in any sitting is a serious mistake. Your body simply won't process that amount of fast acting protein in any given time peroid. It will end up either as glucose or excreted as waste.

The amino acid release for a given amount of whey CAN be 3 hours IF properly absorbed. In that amount, it won't be. Studies with leucine tracer methods clearly show this. Whey protein actually begins digestion within 20 minutes of ingestion but the body can only handle so much fast acting protein at a given time before its excreted as waste (and you clear the room)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The information I've seen suggests that protein may act to increase the GR of a meal.
It depends on the protein and amino acid profile of said protein. Fast acting protein can increase the response (not the load) simply by increasgin the amount of amino's in a very quick peroid of time.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep yep. I'm more about the GR of an entire meal and not so much about the individual food sources themselves.
The GI does measure the response. Did you mean the GL of the entire meal?

EDIT: Oops...read that wrong, but the GL is more important.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established

And 70g of Whey in any sitting is a serious mistake. Your body simply won't process that amount of fast acting protein in any given time peroid. It will end up either as glucose or excreted as waste.

The amino acid release for a given amount of whey CAN be 3 hours IF properly absorbed. In that amount, it won't be. Studies with leucine tracer methods clearly show this. Whey protein actually begins digestion within 20 minutes of digestion but the body can only handle so much fast acting protein at a given time before its excreted as waste (and you clear the room)
Hence my suggestion to take his whey shake in part before and then over the course of the workout (pre/during). He said he works out for two hours, and mixed carb/protein drinks taken during the course of exercise have been shown to improve fatigued exercise performance :)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hence my suggestion to take his whey shake in part before and then over the course of the workout (pre/during). He said he works out for two hours, and mixed carb/protein drinks taken during the course of exercise have been shown to improve fatigued exercise performance :)

It depends on the time frame. If it over a 3 hour peroid then you can use that (although I prefer a whey/casein mix instead) but if its an hour or maybe an hour and a half its still a bit much.

The improvement in exercise is a result of sustained energy release over a longer peroid of time (hecn why you use a large LOW GI meal with a mix of slow/fast prtein about an hour before). During workouts a small amount 15-25g of carbs and 15-20g whey is probably all you want. A better option is free form amino's with a mix of high GI/mod GI carb sources.

Working out for 2 hours is ENTIRELY too long.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well damnit I need these details! :D

Maybe I should read the thread more. (clonks himself on the head)

I woudln't do cardio after exercise more than 3 times per week.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

Cutting on 3500 used to be too easy at one point (8 years ago). I just can't seem to find that right starting number anymore.

It seems I do so much better in terms of weight loss in the 2400-3000 range. Since I've just come off doing a UD2 (Diet only) I figured starting with 2500 (give or take) would be best to ease back into things without completely undoing what I have accomplished thus far.

My real concern with calories in the 2500 or under range is I have little room to tweak. Meaning, there will come a point (quickly) when I can no longer keep subtracting from my caloric intake without starving myself (OR having to do ungodly amounts of cardio dairly) at the same time which will halt all progress.

Thanks for weighing in Bobo.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bike... real, real slowly.

I find it really helps aleviate the DOMS I have in the next 3-4 days. The second day is by far the worst.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not even close to the calories you need./QUOTE]

Cutting on 3500 used to be too easy at one point (8 years ago). I just can't seem to find that right starting number anymore.

It seems I do so much better in terms of weight loss in the 2400-3000 range. Since I've just come off doing a UD2 (Diet only) I figured starting with 2500 (give or take) would be best to ease back into things without completely undoing what I have accomplished thus far.

My real concern with calories in the 2500 or under range is I have little room to tweak. Meaning, there will come a point (quickly) when I can no longer keep subtracting from my caloric intake without starving myself (OR having to do ungodly amounts of cardio dairly) at the same time which will halt all progress.

Thats exactly the point. You have nowhere to go. YOu definetly will lose more WEIGHT starting that low simply because a good amount of glyocgen loss will occur with that few calories and your weight. What you have to do is be concerned with FAT loss, not weight. If you can achieve a 2lb/week loss then that is EXACTLY what you should happen. You can achieve the same amount of fat loss as you would cutting claories by a good amount but avoid the glycogen loss and eventual stall you will find. Fat loss is a pretty consistent thing. It doesn't increase the more you drop calories and in the long run that will only hurt your goals. Dieting is about slow and steady over long peroids of time.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established

Why not start around 3500-3700 and progressively lower calories to keep weight loss around ~2lbs a week?

I'm currently trying to drop a few pounds, I've gotten to the point where I don't feel healthy. I'm currently eating about 4,000 calories a day give or take, with light cardio about 2x a week and the weight is coming off nicely. I'd like to drop about 25lbs of fat, that way I'll be able to compete in the 275lb weight class without having to go through too much of a trial to make weight (I'll look way sexy at 275 too :D ).

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thats exactly the point. You have nowhere to go. YOu definetly will lose more WEIGHT starting that low simply because a good amount of glyocgen loss will occur with that few calories and your weight. What you have to do is be concerned with FAT loss, not weight. If you can achieve a 2lb/week loss then that is EXACTLY what you should happen. You can achieve the same amount of fat loss as you would cutting claories by a good amount but avoid the glycogen loss and eventual stall you will find. Fat loss is a pretty consistent thing. It doesn't increase the more you drop calories and in the long run that will only hurt your goals. Dieting is about slow and steady over long peroids of time.
Agreed :)

Just a mental thing I need to wrap my head around.

Now if I were paying you and not seeing results then I could beat your ass instead of mine. lol

Hmmm.. that's not such a bad idea actually....

Lemme ponder this :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bike... real, real slowly.

I find it really helps aleviate the DOMS I have in the next 3-4 days. The second day is by far the worst.
THe problem is the stress your leg workout already puts on your body. Legs are different than any other bodypart in that they tax the body both aerobically and anaerobically (taps the krebs cycle) so doing cardio after is really only increasing cortisol prodcution and not burning extra fat. It actually making muscle loss a big possibility.

WIth legs you bascially get resistant training and cardio all rolled into one. No need to do it further.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed :)

Now if I were paying you and not seeing results then I could beat your ass instead of mine. lol
Both would NEVER happen :D

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
WIth legs you bascially get resistant training and cardio all rolled into one. No need to do it further.
Yes yes. My 5 sets of 250 for 20's nailed me pretty nicely last night lol

I'm a glutton for punishment!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pondering what that specifically means?

lol
I hope it doens't mean what I tihnk it means. Because I would not be happy AT ALL.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Why not start around 3500-3700 and progressively lower calories to keep weight loss around ~2lbs a week?

I'm currently trying to drop a few pounds, I've gotten to the point where I don't feel healthy. I'm currently eating about 4,000 calories a day give or take, with light cardio about 2x a week and the weight is coming off nicely. I'd like to drop about 25lbs of fat, that way I'll be able to compete in the 275lb weight class without having to go through too much of a trial to make weight (I'll look way sexy at 275 too :D ).
Alright. I'm going to ease back up to the 3500 range in the next week or two that way it's not a complete and utter shock to the system :D

Yay... more fucking yams and oatmeal. Woooo. lol

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I hope it doens't mean what I tihnk it means. Because I would not be happy AT ALL.
I saw the "Philly" and thought carefully as to what I was gonna reply with :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mine used to say that as well :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:icon_lol:

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Exnihilo, how do u fix the beans and salsa, i mean is it just that or do u put some spices in it?

Sorry to hijack your thread Houseman :D but good luck to you

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Exnihilo, how do u fix the beans and salsa, i mean is it just that or do u put some spices in it?

Sorry to hijack your thread Houseman :D but good luck to you
Get a cup of organic black beans where the ingredients are black beans and salt (black beans are my personal preference but it's up to you what type you use), warm on the stove till they are the desired temperature, then add ~1/2 cup (this adds a whopping 30 calories) of salsa (I like the ranch style uncooked but again it's up to you), crush a little garlic for flavor and use it as a bed for your lean chicken breasts :) Simple and delicious.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
actually, i don't know what brand of salsa that you're talking about, all i have is picante.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
actually, i don't know what brand of salsa that you're talking about, all i have is picante.
The good salsa is kept in the refridgerated section. Just ask a store clerk where the fresh salsa is. Just about any brand of fresh salsa will be about 10,000x tastier than cooked salsa.