low carb high protein shake?

oh-honey

Awards
hi. i'm new on this board... i've been lurking for a while, and this is my first post :wave:

anyways, could someone please recommend me a decent tasting... low carb high protein shake? i'm currently drinking nitrotech... but i'd like to try something different.

also... i recently accidentally drank one that was past it's expiration date - by a month, oops :sad:. does it affect the effectiveness of the drink?

cheers

/~honey.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
checkout either optimum nutrition's shake or allthewhey.com

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
ON is good stuff only 25$ for 5lbs at 1fast400.com

oh-honey

Awards
would you guys recommend muscle milk for someone trying to lose weight? it looks pretty high in cals, fat & carbs. but a friend of mine said it was worth it :confused:

also, would it be enough to kick me out of ketosis if i only drank it once a day :eek:

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
would you guys recommend muscle milk for someone trying to lose weight? it looks pretty high in cals, fat & carbs. but a friend of mine said it was worth it :confused:

also, would it be enough to kick me out of ketosis if i only drank it once a day :eek:

Definitely find another drink. It has sugar for carbs and saturated fat... a cheap imitation of a weight-gainer so I'm not sure why you'd want to drink it while cutting fat or trying to get into ketosis.

Any good protein shake will be almost all protein by the label.. 1 or 2 carbs and 1g of fat isn't unusual per scoop, but it should be just protein. You drink it with oatmeal or something with EFAs like flax oil or almonds to make a meal of it... don't rely on the shake to give you good carbs or fat that you need.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Losing weight's fundamentally about 'calories out>calories in' (though calorie quality is definitely a factor). If you can swing the extra calories (be sure to figure the macronutrient breakdown into your daily total) then Muscle Milk is a tempting choice (the flavor's hard to beat). You're more likely to burn more fat and keep more muscle if you go with a slow-digesting, casein based protein like allthewhey.com's milk protein isolate (80% casein, 20% whey) or Muscle Milk, but if you're buying your protein mainly for post-workout you'll want whey. Allthewhey.com's prices are hard to beat...second would be Optimum Nutrition. Of course you can never go wrong with skim milk!

oh-honey

Awards
thanks. i'm just having a problem eating enough proteins on my diet :(. i gag when i eat too much meat (sorry that sounds off ~ but you know what i mean lol)

Definitely find another drink. It has sugar for carbs and saturated fat... a cheap imitation of a weight-gainer so I'm not sure why you'd want to drink it while cutting fat or trying to get into ketosis.

Any good protein shake will be almost all protein by the label.. 1 or 2 carbs and 1g of fat isn't unusual per scoop, but it should be just protein. You drink it with oatmeal or something with EFAs like flax oil or almonds to make a meal of it... don't rely on the shake to give you good carbs or fat that you need.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Two places have the cheapest protein anywhere. All the Whey which is a board sponsor and True Protein which allows you to customize your protein however you like. Can't go wrong with either.

oh-honey

Awards
thanks! i'll look into allthewhey... because GNC sucks. i bought some nitrotech the other day ~ only to find out it's already expired :frustrate. it's just more convenient because it's right next to my gym :(

i'm learning a lot from reading this board :eek:

Two places have the cheapest protein anywhere. All the Whey which is a board sponsor and True Protein which allows you to customize your protein however you like. Can't go wrong with either.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
All the whey's flavored wheys are super super super sweet, so go with the unflavored unless you think mexican pastries are bland *cough*...

My suggestion to you is to mix 2 cups of milk with 2 scoops of whey, some ice, splenda and unsweetened orange coolade mix. That is about as healthy of a workout drink as you are going to get without venturing into the land of tastes-like-ass.

oh-honey

Awards
that sounds good, i will try that. yeah, i'm not a fan of overly.sweet.tastes.like.ass drinks :p

thanks exnihilo :thumbsup:

All the whey's flavored wheys are super super super sweet, so go with the unflavored unless you think mexican pastries are bland *cough*...

My suggestion to you is to mix 2 cups of milk with 2 scoops of whey, some ice, splenda and unsweetened orange coolade mix. That is about as healthy of a workout drink as you are going to get without venturing into the land of tastes-like-ass.

ATWgirlMaUrA

Awards
see now thats just too much work for one protein shake, adding all those un necessary ingredients, while you could just use all the wheys protein powder,just 1 scoop though with more milk or any other liquid you like, no hassle of sitting there blending all that other stuff together, just scoop,pour and shake! sorry exnihilo, it sounds delicious (like your body) but i'm way to lazy for all that!! :whip:

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
see now thats just too much work for one protein shake, adding all those un necessary ingredients, while you could just use all the wheys protein powder,just 1 scoop though with more milk or any other liquid you like, no hassle of sitting there blending all that other stuff together, just scoop,pour and shake! sorry exnihilo, it sounds delicious (like your body) but i'm way to lazy for all that!! :whip:
My experience with all the whey was that I had to mix 1 scoop with at least two cups of milk, if not three - it really was that sweet to me. Plus I've never found a flavored protein that really hit the "spot" for me, I always have to tweak to get it to be enjoyable (though some brands' chocolate flavors have been bearable with water for a quick fix - in this case I didn't find that to be true with ATW, different strokes)

Thus my suggestion to go with the unflavored and fix it up.