Yolks or no yolks...

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
I buy break free... thefore I have no qualms about wasting since there is none. They are small milk cartons full of eggs. 1 carton per morning= 5 LARGE eggs.

Im not a fan of saturated fat anyway

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Here's something I found on PubMed (search button is located at the bottom of the screen).

The impact of egg limitations on coronary heart disease risk: do the numbers add up?

McNamara DJ.

Egg Nutrition Center, Washington, DC 20036, USA. [email protected]

For over 25 years eggs have been the icon for the fat, cholesterol and caloric excesses in the American diet, and the message to limit eggs to lower heart disease risk has been widely circulated. The "dietary cholesterol equals blood cholesterol" view is a standard of dietary recommendations, yet few consider whether the evidence justifies such restrictions. Over 50 years of cholesterol-feeding studies show that dietary cholesterol does have a small effect on plasma cholesterol concentrations. The 167 cholesterol feeding studies in over 3,500 subjects in the literature indicate that a 100 mg change in dietary cholesterol changes plasma total cholesterol by 2.2 mg/dL. Today we recognize that dietary effects on plasma cholesterol must be viewed from effects on the atherogenic LDL cholesterol as well as anti-atherogenic HDL cholesterol since the ratio of LDL:HDL cholesterol is a major determinant of heart disease risk. Cholesterol feeding studies demonstrate that dietary cholesterol increases both LDL and HDL cholesterol with little change in the LDL:HDL ratio. Addition of 100 mg cholesterol per day to the diet increases total cholesterol with a 1.9 mg/dL increase in LDL cholesterol and a 0.4 mg/dL increase in HDL cholesterol. On average, the LDL:HDL ratio change per 100 mg/day change in dietary cholesterol is from 2.60 to 2.61, which would be predicted to have little effect on heart disease risk. These data help explain the epidemiological studies showing that dietary cholesterol is not related to coronary heart disease incidence or mortality across or within populations.

Publication Types:

• Review
  • Review, Tutorial

PMID: 11023005 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I'm surprised that this actually quantifies a number, but the article does state that an increase in dietary cholsetrol from egg feeding did raise total cholesterol levels evenly, it does not necessarily link this with heart disease (which is our main concern I assume).

Now, 2 studies sure won't give a complete picture, so I urge everyone to bring some more to the discission, referenced please.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
Its not really the dietary cholesterol I worry about.. I just don't like the saturated fat.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
well, there seems to be links between the two (raise in cholesterol with increased presence of saturated fatty acids) but as long as ridiculous amounts aren't ingested I don't really see the problem
---
Diet composition and the metabolic syndrome: what is the optimal fat intake?

Grundy SM, Abate N, Chandalia M.

Center for Human Nutrition, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75235, USA.

Two cholesterol-raising fatty acids in the diet, saturated fatty acids and trans fatty acids, increase the serum low-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentration. This fact justifies the recommendation of a reduced intake of cholesterol-raising fatty acids. Emerging data suggest that diets higher in unsaturated fatty acids, particularly monounsaturated fatty acids, have several advantages over high-carbohydrate intakes. This advantage appears to hold, particularly for populations having a high prevalence of insulin resistance, such as the US population. If the US public were to modify its eating habits in the direction of better weight control and more exercise, higher intakes of carbohydrate might be better tolerated. At the same time, the experience with the Mediterranean population reveals that in healthier populations, diets relatively high in unsaturated fatty acids are well tolerated and are associated with a low prevalence of both coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

hey Bobo, you seen this one? :D heheh
-------------

Since raises in cholesterol can potentially be expected with sat fat increase, Weavey Weave posts an interesting study about higher cholesterol not affecting much in the way of overall health and longevity... wanted to add this here, though I've also posted it elsewhere on the board... "cholesterol myths"... interesting articles and quite a few studies:

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

DarCSA

Awards
I have always liked the controversy with eggs myself. Years ago they were all good for you then it changed. They became bad later in the 80's. Then in the 90's they were good again. Just a funny topic in my opinion. The incredible edible egg. :D

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i feel unless you cosuming a ridiculous amount of eggs per day, i say crack the whole egg. i usual go 3-4 whole to every 6 eggs used however. Sage

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
man the yolks got all the good **** for you anyway :D I personally like bustin some whole, and adding the egg white liquid til I'm satisfied... either way though, cheap and good IMO

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
That's why I love eggs - cheap as hell and a great source of excellent protien. If you follow that link in my first post - they make it seem like eggs are the spawn of satan.:)

I think a lot of these studies are based on sedentary lifestyle of the fat, lazy ass american public. Of course carbs and fats arent going to be good when you sit on your ass 24/7.

BigV

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
I do the same as most...personally I use about 2 whole eggs out of 5 eggs

you should see the people at my cafe in work, when i order 4 or 5 eggwhites.....

then of course they order bacon egg and cheese

h19

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
I have never separated yolks and whites (except for special cooking projects), the yolk is where half the protein and all the vitamins are....

so...if I die of a stroke while jacked on 10 caps of xenadrine, blame the eggs :D

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I eat at least 8 whole eggs every day, boiled, not fried. The whole egg is much more anabolic and has a higher bv rating than just the white. back when I was Lifeguard's age, I got fertile eggs from the hatcheries for 25 cents a doz, and ate 12-15 per day. Never had a rise in cholesterol after years of doing this, and don't have high cholesterol now.

The biggest problem for some is the calories. The white has about 10; the yolk has about 70 cals. Just about every natural food has things in balance. In an egg, which contains high amounts of cholesterol, there is more than enough lecithin to emulsify excess cholesterol and shuttle it out of the system.

Part of the following material has been paraphrased from Schenker G., Analytical System of Clinical Nutrition.

There is no connection between the cholesterol you eat and the cholesterol in your blood. Dietary cholesterol is irrelevant. Cholesterol is essential for the development of the brain in infancy. It is also vital for preserving brain function in the elderly. Biological membranes and hormones are also dependent upon cholesterol. The liver produces about 2 grams per day of cholesterol just to make sure there is enough. When cholesterol levels go to abnormally high levels it has nothing to do with how much cholesterol you ate, however a low fat high carbohydrate diet can lead to high triglycerides (sugar breaks down into non-medium chain triglycerides). Diets high in sugar and in polyunsaturated fats cause derangement of metabolism and elevated cholesterol levels.

Diederick Grobee, Erasmus University Medical School said cholesterol is essential to make serotonin, the 'feel good' chemical of the brain."

William Castelli, M.D. the former director for the famous Framingham Heart Study notes that people with cholesterol lower than 200 suffer nearly 40% of all heart attacks as well a 200% increased chance of suffering a stroke.

Cholesterol levels lower than 180 are attributed with:
200% increase in stroke
300% increase in liver cancer
200% increase in lung disease
200% increase in depression
200% increase in addictive behavior

Regarding saturated fats...
It is extremely difficult to elevate someone's cholesterol levels by feeding them saturated fat and high cholesterol foods. It can be achieved with intake of carbohydrates however, as mentioned above. One study demonstrated that in order to elevate blood pressre that only high amounts of starches and sugars could do it via insulin response.

Interestingly, decreasing dietary saturated fat has been associated with lowered testosterone levels in athletes. A study in Finland showed that a decrease in the fat content of the diet to just 25% decreased test levels by 15%. The same damaging effects on testosterone levels was achieved by increasing the ration of polyunsaturated fats to saturated fats.
All steroid hormones are built from cholesterol in the cells. The French have the highest intake of saturated fat of any country in the Western World, yet they have nearly the lowest incidence of cardiovascular disease in the world.

A 1997 study by Gillman showed that the more saturated fat you eat the less likely you are to suffer a stroke. The study also found that polyunsaturated fats (which are nowadays touted as the healthy ones) have no protective effect. The study quantified the protective effect of saturated fats--your risk of stroke decreases by 15% for every 3% increase in your saturated fat intake.

Another study was done using elite men and women endurance athletes placed alternately on low fat and high fat diets. On a high saturated fat diet the pateints maintained low body fat, normal weight, normal blood pressure, normal resting heart rate, normal triglycerides and normal cholesterol levels. All their fitness and training parameters were maintained at the elite level. When put on the low fat diet, however it was found that the low fat diet negated many of the beneficial effects that exercise is supposed to produce. The subjects actually suffered lower HDL cholesterol and higher triglyceride levels while on the low fat diet.

References:

1. Grobee, Diederick, et al. "Cholesterol is essential to make serotonin". Associated Press. 1998.

2. Castelli, William. Associated press. 1998.

3. Lieberman, S. et al. "effects of Chromium supplementation on sugar induced elevations in blood pressure & lipid peroxidiation in hypertensive rats," Journal of the American College of nutrition, vol 14, no. 5, Oct, 1995.

4. Hamalainen, E., et al. "Diet and Serum Sex Hormones in Healthy Men." Journal of Steroid Biochemistry. Vol. 20, No. 1, 459-464, 1984.

5. Gillman, et al. Journal of the American Medical Association. Dec 24, 1997.

6. Leddy, et al. Medicine & science in Sports and exercise, vol 29, 1997.

Last edited:
Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
AH HA! So I'm not gonna die from the eggs!!...

Very well then, blame the xenadrine when I die ;)

PoolMan

Awards
Interesting find there John. I eat 8 whole eggs scrambled every morning. Just can't make myself throw away the yellow goodness.

Part of my view is that I eat healthier than most of the country (no candy, soda, etc..), so the yolks won't hurt me. :p

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Is half of the protien really in the yolk?

h19

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
more or less, yeah... where most of the other nutrients are as well... suck em down!

RippedUp

Awards
Whole eggs from grain-fed, farm-raised chicken, are probably the most anabolic food on earth. They contain everything you need for survival.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
that's what ole duke the bull there in Ripped's avatar eats ... that and Myozap or blast or whatever the hell :D

MassMachine

Awards
cholesterol that you intake through food has NO effect on blood cholesterol, its the saturated fat,  that has been in many peer journals and is a fact, i got the sources somewhere but im to lazy to post it.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
cool massmachine... if you ever get around to finding them, feel free to post that ****, would be yet more good info to have up on here

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah... I remember that thread! thanks Ripped!