Lean bulk diet

B

bandit_193

Awards
Fixing to start a lean-bulk PH/PS cycle (t-1 pro/m4ohn), however, since diet is the most important aspect. I'm trying to dial in my foods.

I'd like to eat around maintenance +/-. I like to get most of my fats from animal proteins. My diet yesterday was for instance (this is typical of a work-out day for me)

Pre Cardio:
1 cup black cofee

Meal 1 (post morning cardio)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 scoop of whey
2 Eggs (boiled)
8 oz light oj

Total Kcal: 550
Carbs: 30g
Fat: 12g
Pro: 39g

Meal 2
4 oz flank steak
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cups broccoli

Total Kcal: 350
Carbs: 25g
Fat: 9g
Protein: 22g

Meal 3
Same as Meal 2

Meal 4 (Post W/O)
40g dextrose
1.5 scoop whey
.5 gram of r-ala

Total KCal: 330
Carbs: 45g
Protein: 33g
Fat: 2g

Meal 5
8 oz of boneless/skinless chicken breast grilled
2 cups of brocco
1/4 cup shredded mozz/colby

Total KCal: 380
Carbs: 16g
Protein: 54
Fat: 11

Meal 6 (Bedtime)
1 Cup Cottage Cheese
1/2 Cup Fiber One

Total Kcal: 370
Carbs: 29 (Dietary Fiber 12g)
Protein: 29g
Fat: 23g

So totals for the day are as follows:
Total Kcal: 2340
Protein: 199G
Carb: 170G
Fat: 66G

I'm 5'10" about 187lbs and BF 16-18% +/-. My goal is to be around 185 and BF 12% (Remember I'm fixing to start T1Pro/M40HN stack). Am I going in the right direction to reach my goals, or what type of modifications would you guys recommend to tweak this.

W

waitlifter82

Awards
Personally, I would move the 1/2 cups of brown rice of meal 2 to meal 5 (your first "real" meal after workout), and maybe add some healthy fats to meal 2 (eg. flax). After workout, your body needs carbs, and I don't think the dextrose is sufficient. Just my 2 cents.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Maybe drop the dextrose in meal 4 for oats?

B

bandit_193

Awards
Any reason why to replace the dextrose in a post w/o meal for oats? I'm trying to take advantage of that insulin spike ,caused by the dextrose, to shuttle the nutrients. I was actually thinking about upping to 70g

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Any reason why to replace the dextrose in a post w/o meal for oats? I'm trying to take advantage of that insulin spike ,caused by the dextrose, to shuttle the nutrients. I was actually thinking about upping to 70g
keep the dextrose. your correct you do want that insulin spike. In fact I would add even more dextrose to the mix. I am 175 lbs and I take in 65-75 grams of sugars post workout. Some heavier people go as high as 90-100+. Also with the ALA you might want to wait on till a little after your workout because if you take it with your dextrose it will lower insulin levels. ALA mimics insulin. I am not sure to the degree or how long it has this effect but I do know that it does have this effect. So it is best taken with meals where you want as little insulin released, I use it in my late afternoon and evenining meals that have some carbs in them. Bobo might be able to tell you better how long the ala stays in your blood and mimics insulin.

S

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
This has been discussed several times on this board. Your going to get an insulin spike regardless post workout. So taking in the dextrose will only lead to increased fat storage. Stick w/low GI.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
This has been discussed several times on this board. Your going to get an insulin spike regardless post workout. So taking in the dextrose will only lead to increased fat storage. Stick w/low GI.
There are also many articles showing dextrose to be the most effective post workout which is why honey is one of the best things to use pw.

D

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
keep the dextrose. your correct you do want that insulin spike. In fact I would add even more dextrose to the mix. I am 175 lbs and I take in 65-75 grams of sugars post workout. Some heavier people go as high as 90-100+.
:rolleyes:

D

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There are also many articles showing dextrose to be the most effective post workout which is why honey is one of the best things to use pw.

Lake- I see you have not been around the board lately. I personally feel that the 65 grams of Dextrose I used PWO helped put this tire around my waist that I'm trying so hard to get rid of.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Guess it just depends on the person. I used to take 30-40 grams of sugar as well as protein post workout. I upped it to 60-75 and then have another one like that an hour later (with more like 40 grams of sugar) and I can honestly say I am recovering better, it shows in the gym for me. Again it might not work for some, I am an ecto and don't really have too much problem keeping fat off.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes but the point is that if you replace those 60-75g of dextrose (which is unhealthy to begin with) with a smarter carb source, it will do the exact same thing. The calories are the same but the steady release of nutrients is much better. Ecto or not, 75 of sugar is not healthy especially in the long run. Unfortunetyl you will leanr the hard way when you age as it could easily have an effect on insulin resistance.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
okay i guess posting for me is a bad idea ;) lol.. i just post my own experiences i guess. ill try the oatmeal and see if i can see any difference after couple months..

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
YOu could always just split it up if you don't want to make the big jump. Use half skim milk, half dextrose.

B

bandit_193

Awards
EVERYBODY in the entire world needs to take 15 minutes and read this thread. A lot of it is bickering, but still very informative!

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14038
Hell of a good read, but man had to really wade through the name calling, however, Bobo made his point very eloquently :think:. I'm gonna give the oats a try for a month or so and make an assesment from there.

Thanks for all the input...I'm under the impression that besides my post w/o, the diet is pretty solid?