PRE WORKOUT ON A VERY STRICT HIGH FAT HIGH PROTEIN KETO DIET!!

afen

Awards
I'm on a KETO diet.. eating mainly canned tuna, eggs, chicken and whey shakes together with some butter to fry the eggs in and also a little ham... so I am mainly eating high fat & high protein.. however Im not interested in a cyclical keto diet.. so I dont want to carb up................since I am completely carb depleted what shall I consume pre workout?

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
you might look into coconut oil for pre workout,the fats in coconut oil are mainly medium chain fatty acids which actually more readly used for energy than other fats, by doing this they actually function more like a carbohydrate without you having to consume carbohydrates. Besides that coconut oil has many health benifits definately worth looking into. just make sure to buy cold expeller pressed coconut oil.

afen

Awards
or else I was thinking of carbing up pre and post workout on my training days... (ie) 4 days .... then on my non training days I dont carb .. what are your thoughts abou t that

Rethink

Awards
Ketosis is generally quite unpleasant and there is no differance between weight loss on 0g carbohydrate diets and 30-50g carbohydrate diets (minimum to avoid ketosis).

You might want to consider a strict low carbohydrate diet rather than a ketogenic diet. Just 30-50g of carbohydrates a day helps you feel much better in terms of energy levels and the smell of your breath and taste of your saliva.

If you keep on the ketogenic course try a tongue cleaner and mouthwash each morning to help with the ketobreath and try sugar free gum or mints also.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Fat is used equally as well for energy production as carbs so a high fat/ high protein meal an hour before your workout should yield the same effects as a high carb meal. It's well know as carbs provide energy but both carbs and fat produce the same amount of energy when digested.