First year results! ...and hoping for some new ideas.

J

JohnHarvard

Awards
It’s finally been 1yr since I got back into the gym seriously, mainly because I was 32 and partying like I was still 22 (back when I was actually not partying so hard, but rather a serious gym rat, and solid looking at 5’10, 209lbs)

To get back in I started with 2weeks of eating a clean diet (i.e detox), transitioning into mild cardio for 3weeks (to condition the heart), then transitioned into a noob full body workout. Then Oct 2010 hit and I started back for real with beginner full body workouts.

The full-body workouts were done 3x a week (M,W,F, 3x10; to failure), HIT cardio 2x a week (Tu, Th, 30min), with a total of 12 random “off weeks” thrown in throughout the yr; due to travelling.

I Kept my diet at a clean 1900cal/d at 40:40:20 (usually erring on the side of more protein), with 1 cheat day a week; cheat food being a burger and small fry, or deep fried chicken tenders w/ sm fry, and a beer or two a month somewhere in there (quite a tone down from a guy who went on benders 2-3x a week, for a couple yrs, right b4 I started my program).

Supplements were: Whey, EC stack, CoQ10, Chrom. Pico, CLA/GLA/Omega stack, Multi Vit., & Creatine--slipped in around Dec 2010.

As for the annual results, I dropped 14lbs (245), and lowered body fat 6% (22). Everything got way more solid and slimmed down everywhere except for where I’m carrying the bulk of my fat now…around the mid-section (think classic spare tire look). Resting heart rate down at 52bpm with a 22bpm drop 1min after going from 85% to 75% exertion level during cardio, and blood pressure at 110/50 (got commended for this by my MD the other day).

Now, I’ve noticed that my strength is starting to plateau, as is my body transformation, so my Q is, should I just continue steadfast on this same path, or am I ready switch it up a bit? I have a few ideas in mind about tweaking certain things (i.e routine, diet, & supps), but would rather hear unbiased opinions of what to do, from others, first.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Possible ideas: Check out the Lean gains diet:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/174612-lean-gains-if.html

Maybe adding a few sessions of standard moderate intensity cardio in addition to the HIIT.

Start looking at another split/training style. Find one that works for you. I like to go with a BB modified version of 5/3/1 beacuse pushing more plates keeps me coming back for more.

http://www.google.com/search?q=5+3+1+strength+program&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

N

nonidentity

Awards
  • Established
why couldn't you train when you were traveling? I've never been somewhere where there was absolutely no workout facilities. you should stay in hostels instead of hotels when available because you can cook there. that's what I do at least..

J

JohnHarvard

Awards
why couldn't you train when you were traveling? I've never been somewhere where there was absolutely no workout facilities. you should stay in hostels instead of hotels when available because you can cook there. that's what I do at least..
My travelling was to remote rural mountain regions in Latin America where native tribes reside, in order to collect DNA samples for my thesis research/job. No gyms there, but I guess I could have counted all the mountain hiking as cardio?

N

nonidentity

Awards
  • Established
My travelling was to remote rural mountain regions in Latin America where native tribes reside, in order to collect DNA samples for my thesis research/job. No gyms there, but I guess I could have counted all the mountain hiking as cardio?
Oh, okay, well I guess you're right about not being able to get to a gym :dunno:
that's a cool job tho, i'm guessing you're an anthropologist?

J

JohnHarvard

Awards
Oh, okay, well I guess you're right about not being able to get to a gym :dunno:
that's a cool job tho, i'm guessing you're an anthropologist?
Geneticist.

And the in-field research is pretty cool.

N

nonidentity

Awards
  • Established
I have a friend who's a Geneticist and he got to do some pretty cool stuff too. he was in "hogzilla" on the discovery channel lol.
If you're a geneticist can you get ahold of gene-doping-type things? maybe you won't even need a gym :) lol

J

JohnHarvard

Awards
I have a friend who's a Geneticist and he got to do some pretty cool stuff too. he was in "hogzilla" on the discovery channel lol.
If you're a geneticist can you get ahold of gene-doping-type things? maybe you won't even need a gym :) lol
LOL, yeah, but I wouldn't test it out on myself first; who knows what the long term side effects would be? :wizard:

N

nonidentity

Awards
  • Established
LOL, yeah, but I wouldn't test it out on myself first; who knows what the long term side effects would be? :wizard:
I think some of the pros are using it anyways. I mean the muscles are getting bigger and the waists are getting smaller which to me sounds like Myostatin blockers and other chemicals that slow down catabolism. It looks like they're eating less food but building and maintaining more muscle. not to highjack your thread but have you heard about acvr2b and some of the other new peptides hitting the black market?