More help needed.......

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
undefined

Ok, this is going to sound very odd, but my question is..... If you have battled cancer, been in remission, and been that way for 1 or 2 years is there a suppliment that would increase your chances of remaining in remission?......Odd question and most likely the answer is diet and exercise, which I kinda figured, Just wondering.................. :think:

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Beta Carotene, selenium, lycopene, any anti-oxidant, green tea polyphenols (EGCG), lots of veggies.. :)

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Was that english???? I think we need to go shopping and god how i hate to shop :(

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
r-ala and alcar. especially r-ala has a lot of research backing.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Thanks and I will look into the above.........I should not have to many more questions about this.......

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Check out www.lef.org and maybe www.beyond-a-century.com.

LEF has lots of articles on preventative supplements and cancer, they are however a tad expensive.

BAC has some info on the supps they sell and they are quite a bit cheaper..take forever on shipping though.

The supps previously mentioned are a great place to start and they are all pretty cheap as well.

and just for you

ALA = alpha lipoic acid. powerful antioxidant, there's several forms. all are pretty good for you.

ECGC's are the active polyphenol ingredients in green tea extract. One of the cheapest and most effective anti-oxidants around, helps burn fat, impart a calm mood and has well documented anti-cancer benefits.

ALCAR = acetyl L carnitine. Kicks ass. Works synergistically with ALA in too many ways to mention. Check out the "Anarchy Stack" thread for some good info. I practically live on it.

There's numerous others listed on the aforementioned sites that I have no experience with. Good luck!

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for your help.......really means alot, we shall see right??!!!

whale

Awards
Depending on the cancer. If it is abdomen cancers ie colon stomach so on flax oil is great. WEll it is said to help all for that matter. plus most of the ones that have already been said. Mostly it is what you dont eat that will help this out the most. Ie some argue sugars and expecially artifical sugars not good. As well as oils that have smoked. This is the term when oil is cooking way past the regular temp. You will notice a distinct smoke that arises from the oil. All these can only help but if it were me I would do everything I can to keep the big C away!!
whale

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Maybe IP-6 can help you out depending on the type of cancer:

1: Br J Haematol. 2002 Jun;117(3):577-87. Related Articles, Links

Effect of inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)) on human normal and leukaemic haematopoietic cells.

Deliliers GL, Servida F, Fracchiolla NS, Ricci C, Borsotti C, Colombo G, Soligo D.

Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit, I.R.C.C.S., Ospedale Maggiore and University of Milan, Via F. Sforza 35, 20122 Milan, Italy. [email protected]

Inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)), a naturally polyphosphorylated carbohydrate, has been reported to have significant in vivo and in vitro anticancer activity against numerous tumours, such as colon, prostate, breast, liver and rhabdomyosarcomas. To confirm this activity in haematological malignancies and to characterize some of the mechanisms of IP(6) action, we analysed its effects on human leukaemic cell lines and fresh chronic myelogenous leukaemia (CML) progenitor cells using a combined cellular and molecular approach. IP(6) had a dose-dependent cytotoxic effect on all of the evaluated cell lines, with accumulation in the G2M phase in two out of five cell lines tested. At the molecular level, cDNA microarray analysis after IP(6) exposure showed an extensive downmodulation of genes involved in transcription and cell cycle regulation and a coherent upregulation of cell cycle inhibitors. Furthermore, IP(6) treatment of fresh leukaemic samples of bone marrow CD34+ CML progenitor cells significantly inhibited granulocyte-macrophage colony-forming unit (CFU-GM) formation (P = 0.0062) in comparison to normal bone marrow specimens, which were not affected. No differentiating effect on HL60 cells was observed. Taken together, our results confirm the antiproliferative activity of IP(6) and suggest that it may have a specific antitumour effect also in chronic myeloid leukaemias, via active gene modulation.

PMID: 12028025 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Anticancer Res. 2003 Sep-Oct;23(5A):3681-9. Related Articles, Links

Inositol hexaphosphate (IP6) inhibits key events of cancer metastasis: II. Effects on integrins and focal adhesions.

Tantivejkul K, Vucenik I, Shamsuddin AM.

Department of Pathology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 10 S. Pine Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA.

BACKGROUND: We have shown that inositol hexaphosphate (IP6), a natural compound and a potent anti-cancer agent, inhibited cancer cell adhesion to the extracellular matrix (ECM) proteins, thereby leading to inhibition of cell migration and invasion. Cell adhesion to ECM is mediated by specific cell surface integrins, which transduce intracellular signals through their interaction and activation of other proteins that are recruited to the focal adhesion. We hypothesize that IP6 decreases cell adhesion by suppressing the integrin receptors and their subsequent signaling pathway. MATERIALS AND METHODS: We analyzed integrin expressions of the highly invasive estrogen receptor-negative human breast cancer MDA-MB 231 cells exposed to IP6 by flow cytometry. The expression of focal adhesion proteins was investigated by immunocytochemistry and Western blotting. RESULTS: IP6 treatment caused a significant (P < 0.005) decrease in the expression of integrin heterodimers alpha 2 beta 1 (collagen receptor), alpha 5 beta 1 (fibronectin receptor) and alpha v beta 3 (vitronectin receptor); flow cytometry showed that it was the alpha 5 subunit that was down-regulated ( < 0.001). However, the expression of the alpha 2, alpha v, beta 1 and beta 3 subunits were not affected by IP6 treatment. When the expression of integrins on the cell surface was assessed, there was a dramatic 82% decrease in the expression of alpha 5 beta 1 on IP6-treated cells (P < 0.0001), indicating a decrease in cell surface expression of the heterodimers. No effect was seen when inositol hexasulfate (IS6), an analogue of IP6, was used as a control. Immunocytochemistry showed a lack of clustering of paxillin; tyrosine-phosphorylated proteins in IP6-treated cells were discontinuous and scattered around the cell periphery, whereas the patterns were more dense and localized in control cells. Consistent with these observations, focal adhesion kinase (FAK) autophosphorylation at tyrosine-397 residue was suppressed, albeit modestly, by IP6 treatment, suggesting a down-regulation in the integrin-mediated signaling pathway. CONCLUSION: The results of this study indicate that IP6-induced inhibition of cancer cell adhesion, migration and invasion may be mediated through the modulation of integrin dimerization, cell surface expression and integrin-associated signaling pathway.

PMID: 14666664 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO whole foods are your best bet. Cruciforous vegtables like broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach are good. Soy products are also a great source of phytonutrients, and flavanoids that have been shown to fight carcinogenic agents in the body. So items like soy milk, tofu, and textured veg. protein are a good choice as well.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Thanks to all who replied........Now i have a direction to head out in........

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
Just don't keep us hanging, dear.
Keep us posted on how well you're doing and how great you're kicking cancer's ass. :thumbsup:

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
hey chosen, sorry its been a few since i checked out this forum!!!! I dont know for sure yet what's going on, to me its a road I have been down before and I guess I am kinda scared I dont want to have to do this again.( perhaps I wont be so lucky this time)...........I am just so tired and very dishearted ( if it's a word) <sigh>

Anyway again thanks for asking !!!!!