Your Thoughts And Opinions on Keto Dieting??

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
This is a controversial diet to the general population, Im wanting feedback from you guys of any kind for a class project Im doing on low carb/carb depletion diets, so help me out men..YJ

8 pak man

Awards
Ok well i know keto is a controversial topic. I dont like the idea of no carbs for a couple reasons:

1. How is an ectomorph supposed to get bigger while on a keto diet without carbs i dont think people cant get bigger.

2. Without carbs you are less likely to stick to your diet people need somes carbs for energy and such.

I dont know if that really answered your question but that is my views on Keto.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Yes....this is a general question...so no one be afraid to post....

The only reason I stray from Keto is the fact that carbs are essential for the metabolism of fat- in a long, drawn out way they are a must....
Im interested in doing a survey in how people's energy levels react to the drop in carbs.....

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Ok well i know keto is a controversial topic. I dont like the idea of no carbs for a couple reasons:

1. How is an ectomorph supposed to get bigger while on a keto diet without carbs i dont think people cant get bigger.

2. Without carbs you are less likely to stick to your diet people need somes carbs for energy and such.

I dont know if that really answered your question but that is my views on Keto.
In response:

1. Your NOT SUPPOSED TO GET BIGGER. The idea of a ketogenic diet is to lose fat quickly and with as little muscle loss as possible. If you are an ectomorph, you don't even need to worry about what ketogenic diet is.

2. Ketogenic diet is difficult to the extent that you are limited in WHICH foods you can eat. Although this is true, I find ketogenic diets allow for a pretty extensive list of foods. As far as energy goes, the priniciple for the diet is that you will get into ketosis and use fat for fuel. Most people get anywhere from 20-100g of carbs which also helps for energy during workouts but isn't enough to throw you out of ketosis.

If you have any more questions YJ, feel free to ask me...Ive done a good amount of research on keto diets.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
I have used keto diets before, and my issues with them are as follows:

#1 The loss of water and glucogen stores is the first 10 pounds on me...looking flat is a bitch, and doesnt exactly motivate me

#2 The biggest issue I see is getting OFF the keto diet when your done. As soon as I reintroduce carbs..for the first 2 weeks, I start putting fat back on.

Overall, I used to swear by them..I have lately found better ways to diet.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Awesome info wardog, pretty much exactly what I was looking for to put in my paper and yes I get to quote you as Wardog ;) ow ow

Boarder1

Awards
I also have done the Ketogenic Diet, until I decided to start bodybuilding. I did notice that my energy was consistent and my cravings for food were almost nil. I used to participate in a good deal of low impact cardio while on the Keto and I bought a heartrate monitor in order to keep the heart out of cardio mode.

The diet itself was not hard to stay on, but getting over the carb withdrawals was almost unbearable, dizziness and nausea. My best friend started the diet and within two days he was at the doctor's office because he felt so ill. I have not smoked for two years now and the withdraws I went through from quitting were insignificant compared to the initial carb withdrawals. Insulin resistance may have had something to do with it, shame on these diet programs that do not teach food GI....irresponsible.

Overall, I lost 12 pounds within a week, then about a pound a week thereafter. When I resumed eating carbs, I gained 8 pounds the first week, mostly back in my waist.

I hope there is some information contained within that will prove useful to you.

Good luck on the paper

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Very good info Boarder...I will be using your post in my paper also....thank you very much

whale

Awards
you know my thoughts but...

If you look at the diet on paper it seems great for loosing fat. The only problems are 1. it is extremly tuff to get into keto 2. It is even harder to stay in my opinion,3 and finally there is such a fine line between burning the fat and a diet that stopps epileptic seizures because of nueronal metabolism kind of scares me. Although there is some promise as a diet high in MCT can make the unpalatable food more enjoyable it is still not a great tasting diet. All this being said I have a hard time beleiving that the keto diet is a successful diet for an aspiring bb or weight lifter for that matter. the only benefit would be if you were an epaleptic seizure problem.

My 2 cents

Whale

Sean

Awards
I cut down to 6% bf from 13% in 2 months with a keto, and had no noticeable muscle loss. I agree that there's some amount of rebound effect once you drop it, though.

Boarder1

Awards
Re: you know my thoughts but...

If you look at the diet on paper it seems great for loosing fat. The only problems are 1. it is extremly tuff to get into keto 2. It is even harder to stay in my opinion
Whale
I had a few problems staying in Ketosis also. It wasn't until I completely cut out drinking diet Mt. Dew, that I could stay in a strong Ketosis state(instantaneous purple on the Keto Stix). I found myself part of the population where citric acid intake has a negative correlation on Ketosis.

Do you have access to the book The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald? If you don't, PM me and I will mail it to you. I do not see myself ever needing it again.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I have had the same problem as whale about getting into and staying in Keto. Also, I just felt so drained most of the time. I figured I had my percents wrong but after playing around I still get them right so I just quit the Keto diet

wardog

Awards
  • Established
You know, I really hate to give Bill Roberts credit, but one of the best diets I found for me to shred up quick was simple..250 grams protein a day, 250 grams carbs, and heavy PH or AAS. Bill ran it at 200/200, I upped it because I weigh more. You keep the muscle, keep the pumps, and energy, and lose some fat real quick. It isnt the most interesting diet in the world, but with androgenic supplementation, works very well.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Hey WarDog,
Have you got some place I can read about that diet. Sounds like something that might be some I would like to take a look at.

You know, I really hate to give Bill Roberts credit, but one of the best diets I found for me to shred up quick was simple..250 grams protein a day, 250 grams carbs, and heavy PH or AAS. Bill ran it at 200/200, I upped it because I weigh more. You keep the muscle, keep the pumps, and energy, and lose some fat real quick. It isnt the most interesting diet in the world, but with androgenic supplementation, works very well.

BrKonman

Awards
Definitely sounds interesting, but you didn't mention any fat, whatsoever. Is it meant to go 0% fat in this diet? Also, "heavy PH or AAS" could mean quite a bit. What combo's did you use/would you expect to work well?

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Re: Re: you know my thoughts but...

I had a few problems staying in Ketosis also. It wasn't until I completely cut out drinking diet Mt. Dew, that I could stay in a strong Ketosis state(instantaneous purple on the Keto Stix). I found myself part of the population where citric acid intake has a negative correlation on Ketosis.

Do you have access to the book The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald? If you don't, PM me and I will mail it to you. I do not see myself ever needing it again.
I would love to read it if you want to hook a brother up

As far as the diet mt. dew goes...I've seen this in a few people... Sometimes the artificial sweeteners trigger an insulin response which obviously is undesirable on a ketogenic diet...

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering that after reading the mt dew post because if I remember correctly.. I was having a small problem laying off the diet cokes the last time I tried Keto.. ummm wondering if I might need to try it one more time

wardog

Awards
  • Established

Definitely sounds interesting, but you didn't mention any fat, whatsoever. Is it meant to go 0% fat in this diet? Also, "heavy PH or AAS" could mean quite a bit. What combo's did you use/would you expect to work well?
No, he advocated no fat..really your living on protein and carbs. II was thinking of modifying it a bit..keeping calories and protien the same, just perhaps using a small amount of olive oil and/or flax seed first thing in the morning with some tuna perhaps just to get some fat in there.

Androgen wise, you are severely cutting calories, yet keeping protein intake high, so you need a good strong androgen, or high dosages. PH wise, I would run 250mg 1-test and a gram of 4-AD transdermally, with an anti E. A good test/winny/fina cycle should work on the other side of the spectrum.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
One problem I would see with an extreme low fat diet would be that you skin would get extremely dried out wouldn't it? Just another wild idea of mine

ChaseRoy

Awards
if anyone has read the book SLICED, it has a very beneficial diet in it that follows keto deting. It is called the CCD diet. It follows following a keto diet for three days, followed by three days of carbing back up. This is a contest diet folks, and it works. It allows for up to 60 grams of fat even during contest week on the low carb days. Very effective. I have also spoke to many of my bodybuilding friends that have tried this diet. Many of them follow a varition of the CCD diet. As long as you keep your protein at 40-50% of your calories and then eliminate either fat, or carbs, I believe you will be very successful in losing fat. Try cycling it between no carbs and no fat like outlined in the book.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
No I haven't seen the book but now I am going to look for it.. thanks ChaseRoy.. btw I like your Conan AV... very cool

ChaseRoy

Awards
it is an older book, i got mine at amazon.com for cheap. Happy reading!

khafra

Awards
CCD I've heard is good. Another variation is the TKD, targeted ketogenic diet. It uses carbs strategically around your exercises to help you get more workout energy.
By the way, did anyone else see the news item? A study found that a high protein, low carb diet does nothing bad to your heart, at least over 3-4 months.

lbm4life

Awards
CCD I've heard is good. Another variation is the TKD, targeted ketogenic diet. It uses carbs strategically around your exercises to help you get more workout energy.
By the way, did anyone else see the news item? A study found that a high protein, low carb diet does nothing bad to your heart, at least over 3-4 months.
TKD are very effective in bodybuilding. Unlike other keto diets usually based on people that are not exercising (atkins) TKD's target the appropriate times you need carbs. FOr me its worked very well. I used carbs pre and post workout and consumed green veggies for the rest of my carbs. You do not include pre and post workout carbs in your carb count. I hate seeing people label keto diets as no carb diets. Certain keto diets that are better for bodybuildgin utilize carbs at the proper times. And the most important part of this is refeeds!!! You MUST have a proper refeed to utilize this diet properly.

Blindfaith

Awards
CKD is my all time favorite diet! i lose 2.5-3lbs per week consistantly. I'll post my article of CKD for you guys to browse through.

crazypete

Awards
i think keto diets suck as a long term solution. Now i know most of you think this is a short term solution, but this is not how i see it. Sure you cut down, but there is no way to stay on the diet and progress strengthwise or sizewise, so you go on a bulking diet and gain alot of muscle and fat and do it over again, thus it is a long term solution. i believe that the long term nutrition solution is somewhat closer to the zone diet. the priciples are sound and it is a good base from which to start. from time to time, one might vary the carb and fat consumption up or down, but this would be a minimal disruption to normal intake as opposed to the drastic changes between a bulking diet and a keto cuttting diet. It is my belief that the results obtained could be obtained on this healthier diet (someone quoted a 13 to 6% drop in two months, this is 7% in eight weeks, hardly spectacular). Also, muscle building is possible while cutting on the diet i propose. One would ask how, since one must watch diet and training very carefully to get such a result, but the same is true for the keto diet.

anyhow, just my thoughts, pete

PS i have no intention of slamming or flaming anyone, i'm just proposing what i believe to be better solution, more for less if you will.

deaconbill

Awards
CKD, where's that diet post?  Also, Wardog what are the other diets you use to cut when off cycle?  Have three weeks to lose fat gained during bulk cycle.  I seemed to gain alot of water weight, too.  I know it's good to have the water in your muscles but I feel like a porker right now.  Thanks