How can I burn fat and gain muscle?

ruffrhyder

Awards
I've been lifting weights for a few years now. In the last couple months I've been training really intensely and gained about 10 lbs of what I think is mostly muscle. My problem is, I've still got a flabby stomach. How can I burn body fat while still gaining muscle or at least maintain the muscle I've worked so hard to gain.
I eat around 3k kcal/day. 3 solid meals with 50g protein shakes in between meals.
Weight train 1 hour/day, 6 days/week
Cardio 20 min/day, 2 days/week.

GaDawgs29

Awards
Well naturally being Men our body stores all the fat in our stomach area, so its the last place that ur body will go to reduce fat. Also you may want to increase your cardio to double 40 mins 4 times a week. (even if its not intense cardio) Your body will resort to using stored fat eventually you just have to increase time

ruffrhyder

Awards
Will the increased cardio training cause me to burn muscle tissue as well?
Also, is it best to do cardio on an empty stomach and should it be done before or after weight training?

GaDawgs29

Awards
ive read that after training is best cuz that way your not burning all ur fuel for cardio and feel like death to hit weights. And idk bout cardio on empty stomach but also another way is doing a ketoish diet minimal carbs and forces ur body to use fat and protein for fuel its has done wonders for me and others love it also

Sweekaters

Awards
It'll be very hard to continue gaining muscle while also dropping fat, pick your battles. Drop your calorie intake by 20% while keeping protein high, wait a few weeks, and drop another 20% if you aren't losing as fast as you'd like.

VeganMike

Awards
Do cardio after you lift. Your body will have depleted all of the stored energy/glycogen lifting. Thus, when you start doing cardio after lifting your body will be in fat burning mode.

leung3644

Awards
i am working on the same thing, trying to loss body fat and gain muscle mass. It take time to see a flat stomach with a strong chest in a short time without using. Now I am doing cardio in the morning, empty stomach. Using oat meal with half scroop of whey protein between meals. and then weight trainning at the evening. So, totally, I stay in the gym about two hours per day, 5-6 days per weeks. I hope that will work for you.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
While a recomp is possible in my opinion it is much faster to either bulk to desired muscle mass then cut. Or cut to desired bf % then lean bulk. I recommend the latter. It's easier and quicker to lean bulk and put almost no fat on than recomp.

I used to be all about recomp. Now I just cut then lean bulk till I am unhappy with the way I look then cut again. That is my opinion for what its worth.

Note I also stopped dirty bulking as i feel the time needed to remove the fat was not worth it. Also it can be difficult mentally making the switch in diet. It's easier for me to always eat clean-ish.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
ive read that after training is best cuz that way your not burning all ur fuel for cardio and feel like death to hit weights. And idk bout cardio on empty stomach but also another way is doing a ketoish diet minimal carbs and forces ur body to use fat and protein for fuel its has done wonders for me and others love it also

to clarify, FFAs inhibit lipolysis the same as carbs. so you cant eat a buffet of eggs and bacon and still expect to be in fat burning mode.

cardio on an empty stomach with leucine/BCAAs is the way to go.

dannyn2007

Awards
bulk up then lean down or lean down and do a CLEAN bulk. picking one goal is faster then trying to build muscle burn fat! to burn fat, you need to burn more calories then you eat. You are usually in a catabolic state (muscle burning) when you have a deficit of calories and to build muscle, you need a surlpus of calories and you will be in a anabolic state.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Cardio on an empty stomach is up to you.I do sometimes but the main thing is to burn more cals then you eat to lose fat.
Building and losing is hard i only did it 2x but i can lose just as much fat eating before cardio then someone who's doing it fasted.
It's all about diet!

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
Cardio on an empty stomach is up to you.I do sometimes but the main thing is to burn more cals then you eat to lose fat.
Building and losing is hard i only did it 2x but i can lose just as much fat eating before cardio then someone who's doing it fasted.
It's all about diet!
sorry thats not true at all.

physiologically speaking it is impossible to burn more fat in a fed state vs a fasted state. if two people with exact genetics were to follow the same diet, with one doing fasted cardio, and the other doing fed cardio, the fasted subject WILL ALWAYS burn more fat.

in a fasted state alpha receptors are more inhibited allowing better fatloss from stubborn areas ( those with more alpha receptors than beta receptors ).

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I've been lifting weights for a few years now. In the last couple months I've been training really intensely and gained about 10 lbs of what I think is mostly muscle. My problem is, I've still got a flabby stomach. How can I burn body fat while still gaining muscle or at least maintain the muscle I've worked so hard to gain.
I eat around 3k kcal/day. 3 solid meals with 50g protein shakes in between meals.
Weight train 1 hour/day, 6 days/week
Cardio 20 min/day, 2 days/week.
diet and trainning.
its better to go after one goal at a time, first cut , then bulk, then vut, then bulk. you will getmore otu of it in most cases like this.
Rezolution from LG might help also.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
when you wake up drink a very low calorie, high caffiene dinnk (coffee, tea, etc.). do 45min of cardio
add in a scoop of whey or BCAA's and i might agree.
the rest is BS lol
just op

crystaljonesy

crystaljonesy

Awards
Extra cardio is always the key and lots of high fiber intake.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Spam alert...

BeserKeRRRR

BeserKeRRRR

Awards
from personal experience, dropping fat and increasing muscle mass is extremely hard to do, but not impossible. The most important thing is nutrition, in my case im keeping a 300 calorie deficit on a 40/40/20 macro split (p/c/f/) and im stacking anabolic pump with eviscerate smolder to stay lean and put on mass at the same time. Just started this stack 4 days ago so ill keep you posted, but its been going great and ive already dropped .3% bf according to my scale while packing on more mass. Give this a try if you want but NUTRITION IS THE MAIN THING. Eat at a good deficit, dont go into starvation mode with more than a 500 calorie deficit, and add some supps for aid in fat loss.

throw in some creatine if you want to recomp while youre at it too :D been hearing good stuff about NeoVar..

BeserKeRRRR

BeserKeRRRR

Awards
*in no way am i a rep for any company, and you dont need supps, theyre just aids to your goals. ITS ALL ABOUT FOOD BRAH :)

crystaljonesy

crystaljonesy

Awards
About burning fat, I suggest you take high fiber foods and supplements. In gaining muscle, you will be needing a diet rich in protein too.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
To get that recomp effect I usually go 200 calories above maintenance. I also am on Metabolic Diet, which seems to help as far as preserving / increasing muscle while losing fat. I just aim to work as hard as possible at the gym and do Cardio in high intensity twice a week. You'll gain slowly but will be at the same time losing some of that excess fat you're carrying.

But as people always say, it's a marathon, not a sprint race. So if you're looking to accomplish both at one, be patient, you won't see drastic changes in the mirror over weeks span.

Anthoney

Awards
Hi ruffrhyder,
Do cardio to burn fat and lift weights to gain muscle.
Don't forget to take balanced diet plan to meet your body requirements for exercising.

tamili

tamili

Awards
By having any good one exercise plan and have the better one product of fat
burning like the green tea is much helpful in this session of fat burning....

chandlerbing

Awards
Donuts, Alcohol, Grease...lean to love em.

My weight loss comes from pizza, burgers, and anything fried....with gravy...and sugar....and butter....and TONS of sodium.

amandabaileys

amandabaileys

Awards
Burn fats with the help of fat-burning foods. Aside from watching what you eat, there are also foods that can also help you in burning fats. These are actually foods that burn more calories than what they contain, thus referred to as fat-burning foods. Among these foods are spicy foods as well as citrus fruits.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
with bla excepted,

sorry to burst most of you people's bubbles but whether someone recomps or not has more to do with the amount of calories taken in than the type of foods consumed. you can lift weights and eat a diet rich in protein all you want - if you're not taking in enough calories, you will not build muscle.

doing cardio and lifting are good things, but, just doing both won't burn fat and build muscle at the same time. your diet needs to reflect the amount of calories it takes to build muscle ( meaning a surplus) while at other times being in a calorie deficit. this means partitioning and meal timing are going to play the biggest factors.

recomping isn't for the remedial lifter . it takes a rigid diet . the easiest possible way to recomp would be to have higher calorie days than others ( building on some days) and a lower calorie diet on burn days ( days which to burn fat ). or you can eat the same amount of calories above maintenance every day and add cardio on the days you want to end in a deficit.

fiber, slow digesting carbs, etc, all those are details and good ideas but don't address the central requirement needed to induce a recompositioning effect.

AlenP

Awards
"Balanced Exercising" is the safest way to burn fat & gain muscle...

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
with bla excepted,

sorry to burst most of you people's bubbles but whether someone recomps or not has more to do with the amount of calories taken in than the type of foods consumed. you can lift weights and eat a diet rich in protein all you want - if you're not taking in enough calories, you will not build muscle.

doing cardio and lifting are good things, but, just doing both won't burn fat and build muscle at the same time. your diet needs to reflect the amount of calories it takes to build muscle ( meaning a surplus) while at other times being in a calorie deficit. this means partitioning and meal timing are going to play the biggest factors.

recomping isn't for the remedial lifter . it takes a rigid diet . the easiest possible way to recomp would be to have higher calorie days than others ( building on some days) and a lower calorie diet on burn days ( days which to burn fat ). or you can eat the same amount of calories above maintenance every day and add cardio on the days you want to end in a deficit.

fiber, slow digesting carbs, etc, all those are details and good ideas but don't address the central requirement needed to induce a recompositioning effect.

follow this advice, he hit the major points on the head. There will be muscle building days and burn days.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Option # 1 is Tren Ace, Anavar, & Prop :D

If that's not an option then focus on cutting first and then bulking or vice versa, it's hard to burn fat while building muscle. You'll have to do cycles of high calories along the way because the main issues (IMO) is people stay on very low calorie diet for too long. BCAA's and creatine helped my training quite a bit so those are good natural options. I also like either slin-sane or glycobol for nutrient partitioning and they boost my cardio a little, which helps when you're on Tren :)

gvision

Awards
look into the paleo diet , lost a ton of fat doing that

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Something is really fishy with this thread... notice how many posters there are with 10 or fewer posts basically just posting bull**** answers...

lfawcett44

Awards
Well said!
with bla excepted,sorry to burst most of you people's bubbles but whether someone recomps or not has more to do with the amount of calories taken in than the type of foods consumed. you can lift weights and eat a diet rich in protein all you want - if you're not taking in enough calories, you will not build muscle.doing cardio and lifting are good things, but, just doing both won't burn fat and build muscle at the same time. your diet needs to reflect the amount of calories it takes to build muscle ( meaning a surplus) while at other times being in a calorie deficit. this means partitioning and meal timing are going to play the biggest factors. recomping isn't for the remedial lifter . it takes a rigid diet . the easiest possible way to recomp would be to have higher calorie days than others ( building on some days) and a lower calorie diet on burn days ( days which to burn fat ). or you can eat the same amount of calories above maintenance every day and add cardio on the days you want to end in a deficit.fiber, slow digesting carbs, etc, all those are details and good ideas but don't address the central requirement needed to induce a recompositioning effect.