Which meat for lunch?

Inzah Dude

Awards
Which meat would be best for lunch? I got thesse for choices: bologna, smoked ham, corn beef, smoked turkey. Id say smoked turkey? Are any of them high in sodium?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Anything lean and low in sodium. You can check the nutrition facts for both of those.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
smoked turkey.. but like YJ said watch the sodium in it.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'd say avoid pressed meat all together. High in salt and hardly any protein. Get some turkey and slice it yourself.

DarCSA

Awards
I like lean turkey, I would stay away from the bologna it has lots of filler crap added.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by DarCSA
I like lean turkey, I would stay away from the bologna it has lots of filler crap added.

oscar meyer makes a good fat free balogna.......off the top of my head...i think its 25 cals per slice, and like at least 5 grams protien per slice..low sodium i think too......6 slices...150 cals...30 grams protien..also has like 0 g carbs per slice...

healthy choice ham and turkey are also pretty good....not sure about the sodium in them though, i forget. 

GO with the turkey all the way. 

h19

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Which meat would be best for lunch? I got thesse for choices: bologna, smoked ham, corn beef, smoked turkey. Id say smoked turkey? Are any of them high in sodium?
Inzah Dude, you are joking, right? Everything on your list reaks of sodium, and what's even worse, cancer causing preservatives and nitrites. Bologna and hot dogs are like a toxic waste dump, not hardly even digestable. Why can't you either buy oven roasted turkey, or bake your own turkey breast and slice it up?

Inzah Dude

Awards
Re: Re: Which meat for lunch?

Inzah Dude, you are joking, right? Everything on your list reaks of sodium, and what's even worse, cancer causing preservatives and nitrites. Bologna and hot dogs are like a toxic waste dump, not hardly even digestable. Why can't you either buy oven roasted turkey, or bake your own turkey breast and slice it up?
No Im not joking. Im not an expert on all thsi stuff so thats why I asked the question. And all the stores were closed when my mom came home with these meats so thats all I had a choice of.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
oh the joy of bologna.. now that should be something to eat then go sit in a class with.. the aromatic properties of it would be just great ;

Inzah Dude

Awards
K today, I had exams and had to go to the store next to the school to eat lunch and all they had was those packaged subs. It had salami, ham and all that so I'm sure it had lots of sodium right? But jweave I think it was, said to take extra potassium cuz it helps. And things like apples and bananas got potassium in them right, so would drinking apple juice be the same? Cuz i had a bottle of apple juice afterwards.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
K today, I had exams and had to go to the store next to the school to eat lunch and all they had was those packaged subs. It had salami, ham and all that so I'm sure it had lots of sodium right? But jweave I think it was, said to take extra potassium cuz it helps. And things like apples and bananas got potassium in them right, so would drinking apple juice be the same? Cuz i had a bottle of apple juice afterwards.
Inzah Dude, I'not trying to bust your chops here, but for crying out loud, a packaged sub. Let's see now, the bun is made of white flour, which will not even keep a lab rat alive for more than a few days. and even the "whole wheat buns" at subway are white flour with just a trace of whole wheat thrown in so they can use the term. They're tan due to caramel coloring.

Next you have processed lunchmeat, (trust me here) even the ham and turkey is completely worthless pressed meat shavings with enough sodium and preservatives to kill a rhino.

Tomatoes are all picked green and chemically gassed to turn red. Note, I didn't say ripen. The American Indians would not touch a tomato that hadn't completely ripened on the vine; but hey what did they know?

Next you dress it up with lots of mayonaise. (saturated fat spelled sideways)

Well at least the 3 day old lettuce is okay.

Seriously Inzah, you have to read up on this stuff if your intent is to be nutritionally minded and build a good physique.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
They didnt have cans of tuna? And fresh vegetables?

And you cant compare apple juice to a real apple. Although they want you to think they're similiar, theyre not even close.

Inzah Dude

Awards

Inzah Dude, I'not trying to bust your chops here, but for crying out loud, a packaged sub. Let's see now, the bun is made of white flour, which will not even keep a lab rat alive for more than a few days. and even the "whole wheat buns" at subway are white flour with just a trace of whole wheat thrown in so they can use the term. They're tan due to caramel coloring.

Next you have processed lunchmeat, (trust me here) even the ham and turkey is completely worthless pressed meat shavings with enough sodium and preservatives to kill a rhino.

Tomatoes are all picked green and chemically gassed to turn red. Note, I didn't say ripen. The American Indians would not touch a tomato that hadn't completely ripened on the vine; but hey what did they know?

Next you dress it up with lots of mayonaise. (saturated fat spelled sideways)

Well at least the 3 day old lettuce is okay.

Seriously Inzah, you have to read up on this stuff if your intent is to be nutritionally minded and build a good physique.
Ya, there was no vegetables or mayonaise I dont think.

YJ - So the apple juice wouldn't help at all? And no they didn't have tuna. All they had was crab meat or somethin like that but Ive never had it so didn't wanna end up wasting a can or something.

Inzah Dude

Awards
That store is mostly pop, cookies, other junk food, ice cream, all that ****.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I would probably ditch that store brother.....sometimes though if you dont plan, **** like this happens, oh well, **** it, its over. Just be ready next time. You can brown bag it and add things like:

Fruits (apples, bananas, grapes, oranges, etc.)
Cans of tuna (better yet those new tuna packs)
Dry oats
Fresh vegetables
A couple sccops of peanut butter in the container
Cup of cottage cheese

List goes on and on......

Inzah Dude

Awards
Alright thanks. Ya I never had much of a choice I had to get something quick inbewteen exams and the cafeteria was closed. I planned on getting a roastbeef sandwhich or somethign from there but they ended up being closed so I had to go to this store.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Learn to pack your own. Natural peanut butter with whole fruit spread(not jelly or jam) on 100% whole wheat bread is better than anything at the store. Add some peeled hard-boiled eggs and when you're in the store, grab a pint of skim milk or 2%. Great nutritious meal and your energy levels will be elevated all through the day.

Inzah Dude

Awards
Learn to pack your own. Natural peanut butter with whole fruit spread(not jelly or jam) on 100% whole wheat bread is better than anything at the store. Add some peeled hard-boiled eggs and when you're in the store, grab a pint of skim milk or 2%. Great nutritious meal and your energy levels will be elevated all through the day.
K sounds good. I usually pack a lunch but never had the stuff today. Just a bad day today as far as my nutrition goes I guess.