What is the point of bulking? noob question

J

Jcada

Awards
Why bulk and gain the fat when your just going to have to go on a fat loss and burn it off? I never understood this. Why not eat the required nutrients and gain muscle instead of muscle and fat? So whats the point of bulking?

L

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
The idea is not to gain as much fat as possible when bulking, but you have to gain a little. To gain weight of any kind, you have to be in calorie surplus. Its the type of calories & training that determine what the gain consists of. It's impossible to gain all muscle without a little fat. Say you are 10% BF @ 200lbs. You would have 20lbs of fat & 180lbs lean mass. Now you want to bulk to 210lbs. In order to still be at 10%bf, that would require you to gain 9lbs muscle & 1 lb fat. If you gained 5lbs muscle & 5 fat, your BF% would now be 11.9%.

Anybody who puts on more than a little bit of fat is going overboard, IMO.

M

mrfumetsu

Awards
Thats why some people choose to "clean bulk".....to me this means a diet based on high protein (2.0g per lb of bodyweight), with moderate carbs (1.5g per lb) , and low (.5g per lb of bodyweight) fats.. thats what i shoot for...i don't gain weight fast, but the weight i do gain is quality mass. i've added 55 lbs in the last 3 years this way and kept my bodyfat at the same level as when i started..probably even lowered it a bit.

the reason people just 'bulk' is because it's a lot easier to just shove everything down your mouth and worry about the fat later. some people (like me) cant stand the fat and chub you get with bulking, so they clean bulk.

J

Jcada

Awards
What I am doing is eating at least 3500 cals a day, I weight 155 pounds. Is that too little to gain any size? Why dont I eat every 3 hours and eat a lot of clean protien and carbs?? Thats it.....

L

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
What I am doing is eating at least 3500 cals a day, I weight 155 pounds. Is that too little to gain any size? Why dont I eat every 3 hours and eat a lot of clean protien and carbs?? Thats it.....
The amount of calories you need depends on your body composition. The first thing you need to do is calculate your basal metabolic rate. Go on bodybuilding.com & there's a BMR calculator. You will need to put in your BF%, weight, etc. Once you figure out BMR, calculate how many calories you need for maintenance. To bulk, you want 200-1000 cals above maintenance. Start with 200-300 over, & increase gradually until you start gaining weight. If you start gaining fat, then reduce a little as necessary.

Get about 200-250g protein in there, & make sure to get some good fats.

J

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
the best way i have ever heard this described is thusly.

bulking is a different "hormonal milieu" than cutting.

different hormones play to differing degrees in the two processes.

it is not "impossible' to gain muscle w/o fat or to lose fat w/o muscle.

but it is very difficult, and it is much LESS *inefficient* to try to gain muscle w/o gaining fat, and lose fat w/o losing muscle.

for those who are not hormonally um... "enhanced" this is especially true.

for example, when one bulks, a good rule of thumb is that you will put on 2-4 lbs of muscle for every lb of fat you put on.

when one cuts, you will lose 2-4 lbs of fat for every lb of muscle you lose.

if one tries to gain muscle w/o fat (very difficult - but easier if one has high natural T and IGF levels, like many 18 yr olds d0), one just makes MUCH slower progress ceteris paribus

8 weeks bulking followed by 4 weeks cutting will in most cases result in a greater LBM than 12 weeks trying to gain muscle w/o some fat gain as well.

that is because per unit time expended, more muscle will be gained while bulking if one accepts SOME fat gain.

it's all about efficiency, end results, and cost/benefit analysis.

individuals vary, of course, but these are general truisms.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I bulk because this gives me a non-guilty feeling after I have downed a Double-Double from In-N-Out. :D

I just completed a 6 year bulk 8 months ago. Or, that's what I'm now calling it. :p I just forgot that you had to train at the same time. LOL

J

Jcada

Awards
I just completed a 6 year bulk 8 months ago. Or, that's what I'm now calling it. I just forgot that you had to train at the same time. LOL

Lol now thats funny. Thansk guys gives me a different perspective. I guess I'll just eat ALOT of clean calories.