"Do not do that anymore"~gym owner to yours truly...no more HIIT Cardio!?!

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
So today at my gym which is a decently hardcore place, I was told to no longer do HIIT cardio on the eliptical by the gym owner. Yes that's right. I explained the only reason I do it on the elliptical is because the treadmills in the gym only go up to 10mph, which is hardly a sprint. Apparently he said that I personally have damaged 2 elliptical by doing HIIT, which is complete bs considering I use the same one every time i do it (the gym is empty when I go.) This is now the second gym where I have been told I can not do hiit. I am PISSED big time as I hate cardio especially slow steady state cardio. Anyways just felt like ranting.

dirtydeweyjr

Awards
Without proof u damaged their machines it's just harassment. I wouldn't back down.

Either they will back off, or cancel your membership to a gym i don't think i would want to be a member of anyway.

Good luck, sir.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
What a bunch of bull S.

If those machines can handle 300lb people at a constant rate, they can tolerate fit people adjusting the speed a few times per session.

That's like cars that aren't meant to be driven, makes no sense.

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. All those machines have been tested before being released for sale to far beyond recommend weight tolerances and programmed speed settings.

Go kick some a$$!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was told at my gym just today by a trainer to, "Stop banging the weights so loudly, as members are complaining". Guess what exercise I was doing: Deadlifts! I was simply doing the exercise, and the weights clanking on the ground was the complaint! You have got to be ****ing kidding ****ing me with that bullshit!

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
It is bs. This guy has watched me to the same goddamn workout for the past 3 months. It is not like the treadmill either where you have to manually adjust the speed, on the elipt. you just GO FASTER. Luckily my membership runs out in another month and I can jump ship.

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
I feel you, brother. Did you ever try doing HIIT on the treadmill...but at an incline as well?

Something I do...is walk up at the highest incline possible...at about 3.5 mph. On the treadmills at the gym I use atm, the max incline is 15, in increments of .5 . Ever other minute, I alternate with carrying extra weight. 30-50lb dumbells forces you to work REALLY hard and gets that heart rate going FAST. I start sweating bullets.

Anyway, just an idea to get this dude off of your back until you find a new gym to do your thing. Good luck man.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was told at my gym just today by a trainer to, "Stop banging the weights so loudly, as members are complaining". Guess what exercise I was doing: Deadlifts! I was simply doing the exercise, and the weights clanking on the ground was the complaint! You have got to be ****ing kidding ****ing me with that bullshit!
Yeah, I've gotten that before too. But what I usually get now is "Sir, you are intimidating the other members." Personally, I feel that is a real accomplishment - the people surrounding me at the gym need to see what a real, taxing routine is, and if it scares 'em, they can all go join "Curves", the men too!
I mean it's not like I'm screaming or anything, just lifting heavy and agressively, makin a grunt here and there.

As the HIIT thing, that is just stupid. You're paying to use their equipment - if it can't handle basic fluctuations in speed, they bought low quality stuff and that is hardly your fault.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Just go break some other equipment and p!ss in the showers, that will show em.....

Seriously just lay off for a week and then just start doing it again. I have been told all kinds of stuff that I can not do in my gym and it usually blows over. If you want to switch it up just do some HIIT with exercises like dumbbell swings, power cleans, jumps, etc. Pretty much anything explosive exercise will give you the same effect and I bet will get you working a lot harder. The change of pace my be a nice break for you and get the gym guys off of your back. If that fails just do what I did, start training at a garage gym and buy your self some GPP stuff like a sled or farmers handles......

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^ Yep....

It is a complete joke. Greed, ignorance, whatever causes it...

I have been asked to leave a gym i frequent in Rochester because i deadlift. The next time i came in, the new manager asked for my help to organize a powerlifting comp at their location...

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
^^^^ Yep....

It is a complete joke. Greed, ignorance, whatever causes it...

I have been asked to leave a gym i frequent in Rochester because i deadlift. The next time i came in, the new manager asked for my help to organize a powerlifting comp at their location...
lol. good. They dropped the idiot and hired a man.

I would do it anyways if you are going to let your membership expire in a month anyways. That is really retarded.... I think he is jealous.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
It is bs. This guy has watched me to the same goddamn workout for the past 3 months. It is not like the treadmill either where you have to manually adjust the speed, on the elipt. you just GO FASTER. Luckily my membership runs out in another month and I can jump ship.
don't the foot things just roll on wheels on a track?

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
ha when im slammin away on the eliptical other members look at me funny.... pussies

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established

If people complain about :dl:, then you start doing :clean:,
... then they'll wish they kept their mouths shut ;)

Space

Space

Awards
  • Established
I have been told off the same way.

I went to the local sports oval instead. HIIT is much better on a sports oval because you really can give it all you got.

I also bought my own treadmill but it only goes to 16 kmh and thats not fast enough for HIIT.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
yeah, if your membership is about to run out, go somewhere else where you don't have to deal with that garbage if somewhere else is reasonably within distance. it sounds cliche, but if you have options your vote is with your dollar.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Why not just do HIIT on a football track somewhere? I have a personal vendetta against ellpitcal machines.

Similar thing happened to me though, i was using one of the stationary bikes for HIIT, it was rocking a little, it didn't fall over though, and the manager told me I had to stop doing it. It's really BS when they target guys that are doing genuine athletic routines but don't go to the guy thats using a machine wrong, or doing bicep curls in the power rack.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
Reps to everyone in the thread!!!

Reps for real workouts!!!!

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
gym owners

Bro if I were you I would wait till my last day of my membership and then go pi ss all over the locker room floor, then go take a shi t on the owners desk when he is sittin there on the phone, and then go do some HITT cardio. When ur done pi ss on the machine. Tht will teach his a$$

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
I plan to try some HIIT on the rowing machines when i start at my new gym in a few weeks. Not sure how good a rower is for it tho. Anyone tried it?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
man that sucks! Give him a good fight! Don't back down

The old manager at the gym i go to was a total ****. He was in the job 2 weeks before he started saying how the free weight bench press was against health and safety. Wtf?! Apparently we needed a spotter everytime incase someone injured themselves.

He even said he didn't know how they had got away with having weights over 22lbs (10kg) They only went up to 55lbs! The gym across the road had weights up to 88lbs though. The guy was a total fud! In the end he got rid of the weights.

We went to the local council and spoke to the health and safety dude and he said it was a load of crap. one guy was tempted to put a 55lbs plate through his car door haha :) Got the weights back in the end and the manager left.

Now my m8 is sleeping with the new manager and we got ourselves dumbbells up to 110lbs :icon_lol:

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Why not just do HIIT on a football track somewhere? I have a personal vendetta against ellpitcal machines.

Similar thing happened to me though, i was using one of the stationary bikes for HIIT, it was rocking a little, it didn't fall over though, and the manager told me I had to stop doing it. It's really BS when they target guys that are doing genuine athletic routines but don't go to the guy thats using a machine wrong, or doing bicep curls in the power rack.
Bicep curls in the power rack... :smite:

Don't ****ING get me started...

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established

hey i do that sometimes or on the squat rack because theres nowhere else to set the barbell. granted if i see someone who wants to use it i'll move cause i'm not a moron... but 90% of the people at the gym don't do legs anyway so i'm usually safe

TonySmiles

TonySmiles

Awards

Yeah, and those ppl that grab dumbells and stand RIGHT IN FRONT of them to do their curls, so no one else can get any of the others around them til the back the f*ck up or they are done. That drives me nuts! Since I can't get to the spot where I grabbed my dumbells from, I just set my sh*t next to them (literally next to their feet) and move on and they get the hint. :head:

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
I give them death stares...

If your gym has pre-made bars, and you're not curling over 155... Get the **** out of the power rack.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
don't the foot things just roll on wheels on a track?
Exactly. I used to just do HIIT on a treadmill, between 12-15mph in one minute intervals, but these treads only go up to 10mph. Trust me i dont even like the elliptical, just doing it out of necessity at the moment.

I love how people looked at me like i was f'in retarded goin all out on the eliptical. Guess its back to high rep squats for cardio.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
135lbs for 4 sets 25-30 reps about 45sec rest between is enough to put a man down

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
thats stoooopid

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
20 rep set squats. Has you gasping for air more then any cardio!!

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try this...135 lb BB squat, you have 4 minutes to try and do 100..no resting, most I got to was 76!! Ass2calf

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try it..you'll be glad you didn't :)-O

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Start the stop watch and keep going for 4 minutes. If you hit 100 full squats then raise the weight a little next time...

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
have you ever been doing dumb bell presses on a bench and got up to get heavier weights only to turn around and see that someone has planted themselves next to your bench and are doing curls in your arm span? I just sit there and wait until they move then make them feel like a jackass by continuing to bench press after they move and by making sure that they were in my way.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
There was a guy at a gym that I used to go to who would load up everything he was doing with as much weight as possible. I am talking like a 515lb bench press. He would arch his back to the sky, and lift that sh*t maybe a quarter inch, and put it back down. He would then get up and flex and make faces in the mirror. Hilarious stuff. He did this for EVERY SINGLE exercise.