Think I need to cut out deads for a while - Question

cynic

cynic

Awards
So...I think I've tweaked my lower back a bit.

I'm in the middle of a 5x5 strength routine, weekly progressive loading, somewhat advanced, and I DL on Wednesdays. Well, I really feel like I need to give my lower back a bit of a rest, but I think I'm going to keep the power cleans.

My question is: what do you guys think I should replace Deads with?

Current exercises:
Monday - Squat, bench, power clean, weighted dips
Wed - Squat, Overhead press, (usually deads here), weighted pull-ups
Fri - Squat, bench, power clean, turkish get-ups, and accessory work

So what should I replace them with? Another back thickness? Another hamstring lift? Advice would be appreciated...I would like to find something by tomorrow's workout. Many thanks.

Good Shepherd

Awards
Becareful w/ the LB. I would def. give the deads a rest for a bit until things are healed. Try replacing them with heavy dumbell rows using a low rep range. Great for grip as well.

It really depends on how bad you "tweaked" the back. Maybe you need to rest all together. What kind of deads were you doing? Sumo etc? Sometimes it can be an overcompensation type of situation. Do you have weak hamstrings, glutes, or do the abdominals need to be stronger? Try doing some standing ab work. Just some thoughts.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
So...I think I've tweaked my lower back a bit.

So what should I replace them with? Another back thickness? Another hamstring lift? Advice would be appreciated...I would like to find something by tomorrow's workout. Many thanks.
I’m taking off from deads right now myself, needed a break. Normally, I alternate deads and a regular back workout EOW; I’ve made better gains that way.

When I don’t dead, I like to do heavy dumbbell rows, cable rows, assisted pull-ups, and trap pulls. I’ve found I can come back pretty quickly once I start the deads back up.

Don’t worry too much about the hams if you are all ready doing leg curls

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Maybe you need to rest all together.

PLEASEEEE listen to this advice!!!!!
on the 5x5 routine you are really taxing your body with weekly gains in weight.

I didn't listen to my body when I had felt something weird in my elbow during 5x5 and ended up with some pretty bad bicep tendinitis. its just going away now 4 weeks later.

My advice to you is: RELAX for a week or two! eat like a monster, sleep like a baby, and enjoy life!
don't put yourself at risk for a major injury-- the gym will still be there in a week.

cynic

cynic

Awards
Thanks for the responses guys. To answer some questions: I pretty much only do conventional deads...made my way up to 455, took two weeks off then started this program. Its definitely the left side of my lower back, and it doesn't hurt really, but when I workout it gets "tired" and I feel like I'd be risking serious injury if I don't take somewhat of a break.

I don't need an overall rest yet. I've been training for long enough to know when I need a break from lifting entirely. I can usually go for about 8 weeks then I take a week off completely from lifting. I do appreciate the concern, however.

I think I'm going to replace them with dumbell rows for now and see how my back feels. I'll try to use the same kind of progression scheme.

Jason LB

Awards
i think you might be training TOO much, a little more recovery time for all your muscles would benefit you. even if you're on a short-term program, 3-4 days a week should be the days you rest, not the days you train, maybe you tweeked your back from overtraining, weakened muscles can be injured easily...

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Recently I stopped doing full DL and switched to partials mainly racklifts but now I'm incorporating floorlifts, so I'm never doing the full ROM at once. It seems to work well and it allows me to work on my deep squats which I'm trying to get on par with my deadlift weight.

Don't forget heavy Good Mornings, those are always a must!!

cynic

cynic

Awards
i think you might be training TOO much, a little more recovery time for all your muscles would benefit you. even if you're on a short-term program, 3-4 days a week should be the days you rest, not the days you train, maybe you tweeked your back from overtraining, weakened muscles can be injured easily...
???...I get 4 days of rest every week. I only train M/W/F. I'm not sure what you're saying here. Anyway, next week is an incorporated deload week where I cut sets and reps.

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
even if you're on a short-term program, 3-4 days a week should be the days you rest, not the days you train,
maybe i have poor comprehension skills but are you saying one shouldn't train more than 3-4 days?

you said 3-4 days/week serve as rest days but there's 7 days in a week. that means you're training 3 or 4 days a week and that's what i'm understanding that you're condemning, so to speak. lol

Jason LB

Awards
my bad..

???...I get 4 days of rest every week. I only train M/W/F. I'm not sure what you're saying here. Anyway, next week is an incorporated deload week where I cut sets and reps.
i got confused with something else. what i meant was you should consider more recovery time between workouts for each body part. for example, bench press should be done every 5-7 days, not every other day. sorry, that's not what you were wanting advice about, but it could explain why your left side lb feels funky, maybe it needs more time to rest. i don't in any way doubt your knowledge or methods, i hope i didn't come across that way.

cynic

cynic

Awards
i got confused with something else. what i meant was you should consider more recovery time between workouts for each body part. for example, bench press should be done every 5-7 days, not every other day. sorry, that's not what you were wanting advice about, but it could explain why your left side lb feels funky, maybe it needs more time to rest. i don't in any way doubt your knowledge or methods, i hope i didn't come across that way.
No worries man, no offense taken. I totally understand what you mean, and that's usually the way that I do it if I ever do splits. However, with this routine, I'm only doing three chest specific exercises per week, and only one straight set of bench (Fridays). This is usually less than the average person who does a "chest day" once per week. I also started around 80% lower than my current 5x5 maxes, so I've been working up. So, I took some time off, came back, got my 5 rep max, and then started at 80% of that and progressively loaded until I got back to that point. The idea is that once you get to your previous max, you can load right past it for 3-4 weeks. Then I take a week off. With the right diet and sleep routine, this system has never failed me.

Jason LB

Awards
oops...

maybe i have poor comprehension skills but are you saying one shouldn't train more than 3-4 days?

you said 3-4 days/week serve as rest days but there's 7 days in a week. that means you're training 3 or 4 days a week and that's what i'm understanding that you're condemning, so to speak. lol
sorry, i meant one should rest the worked-out body part, say the pecs, for 5-7 days or more. i thought he was training his muscles too often and not getting sufficient rest, which might result in an injury... there's a lot of weight to the theory of highly intense, less frequent workouts.... that's what i'm experimenting with currently.