Critique my current routine

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Opinions on current routine. Lift 5 days a week, followed with 20-25 minutes of combined fast walking/running cardio. 2 days rest throughout the week.

I like to keep my rest periods short (30-45 seconds) to promote a higher intensity workout.

Looking for opinions (what can be improved, what shouldn't be done, etc.).

I won't go into detail on my diet, but I run a high protein & good fats / low carb diet. I consume around 350 grams of protein a day (mostly through whole foods. One PWO protein drink and sometimes a Natty-PB (or Raw Almonds), Chocolate Whey Protein smoothie at night). I feel my diet is on.

Stats:
Weight: 170
Height: 5'7"
Bodyfat%: ~7

Goals: LEAN LEAN bulk. I like to keep/maintain low body-fat levels and put on quality, lean muscle (even if it takes longer). After years of training, I have found that heavy bulks then heavy cuts aren't as beneficial for me as putting on lean muscle slowly.

Status: Everything seems good except for lately I have felt early muscle failure. I'm not winded or anything, its just my muscle seem to crap out. I feel rested before I attempt my next set. I don't feel like my muscles are depleted (calories too low). I really started to notice it when I incorporated cardio after my workout. Am I doing too many sets? Too much cardio? Opinions/advice very much welcomed. Thanks.

Day 1: Chest (Monday)
Flat DB - 4x10
Incline BB - 4x10
Weighted Dips (to front) - 4x10
Pec dec - 4x10-12
Cardio - 20-25 minutes

Day 2: Back (Tuesday)
Wide-grip pull-ups (palms facing away) - 4x10
T-Bar or BB Rows - 4x10
Lat Pulldown - 4x10-12
One-arm or seated rows - 4x10
Cardio - 20-25 minutes

Day 3: Rest (Wednesday)

Day 4: Shoulders/Traps (Thursday)
DB or BB Shoulder Press - 4x10
Standing Laterals - 3x10
Reverse Delt Machine - 4x10
Upright Rows - 4x10
DB or BB Shrugs - 4x10
Cardio - 20-25 minutes

Day 5: Arms* (Friday)
Close-grip Bench - 3x10
Skull Crusher - 3x10
Tricep Extensions - 3x10
BB Curls - 3x10
Hammer Curls - 3x10
Incline Curls - 2x10
Cardio - 20-25 minutes

Day 6: Legs (Saturday)
Squat - 1x20, 1x20, 1x15, 1x12
Sumo Deads - 4x8-10
Walking Lunges - 3x10
Ham Curls - 3x10
Leg Extensions - 3x10
Standing Calf Raises - 3x10
-Superset with donkey calf raises - 3x10
Cardio - 20-25 minutes

Day 7: Rest (Sunday)

*Arms exercises change, but the sets/reps stay the same. I know it seems like a lot, but I feel like I'm hitting them good. It's mostly early in the week that I feel the most muscle fatigue. Arm and Leg day I generally feel great. My lifting portion of my workouts last around 45 minutes I would say (give or take, that's just an estimate).

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
try working each body part twice a week
My main concern was muscle fatigue, making me think I'm doing too much. Twice a week seems like it would take me further into possible overtraining.

To back your response, what type of volume are you suggesting?

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking at keep the same principles. One muscle group once a week, by itself (i.e Mon - Chest, Tues - Back, etc.) and keeping it more on the high intensity side with short rest periods between sets.

I'm mainly looking at adding heavy compound lifts with lower reps at the beginning of my workout and then doing isolation movements with higher reps. All while still keeping the rest periods short.

Any ideas or sample routines (or can anyone point me to some)?

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
I'm of the thinking that you should stay at one time a week, but do a push - pull type program.

chest / Mid back

Shoulders / lats

biceps / triceps

quads / hams / calves

that will give you 3 days of rest. It might take a week to get in the groove of doind i exercise them the other, but it works very well for what your trying to do.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I'm of the thinking that you should stay at one time a week, but do a push - pull type program.

chest / Mid back

Shoulders / lats

biceps / triceps

quads / hams / calves

that will give you 3 days of rest. It might take a week to get in the groove of doind i exercise them the other, but it works very well for what your trying to do.
I agree with the one time a week. This sounds pretty good. I like the additional rest day.

How would you run that through the week? I was thinking a mon, wed, fri, sat (for example), keep it to just one day between a workout (I hate it, but mentally if I'm out of the gym for more than a day I freak).

Also, what kind of set and rep ranges would you recommend?

I may be wrong, but would mid-back lifts include rows (seated, one-arm, bent-over) and lats would be pull-up, pull-dows? What else will hit those areas?

And, one last one, should I do deadlifts on back day or leg day? I've been doing them (sumo style) on leg day and love 'em.

Thanks man.

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
Maybe something like this..... if i was you I would put the body part you want to work on the most first in the week.

This routine is an example....

Mon Incline press / Barbell Row
Decline flye / Barbell Shrugs
Dips / Top deads

Tues Squats / Stiff leg DLT
Leg ext / Leg curl
Standing / seated calf raises

Wed off

Thur Barbell milli / chin ups
side lats / str8 arm pulldowns
rear lats / one arm dumb row

Fri Barbell curls / tricep ext
Hammer curls / close grip bench
rev curls / pushdowns

bout 2 - 3 sets per exercise, 6 - 10 reps. A good exercise I found for Lats are called Cobra Rows. Go to the cable station and grab one of the cables, get on your knees almost in the middle of the two weight stacks. now your gonna let your arm go up and over kinda like a side stretch. then pull it down sorta like a reverse side bend.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Maybe something like this..... if i was you I would put the body part you want to work on the most first in the week.

This routine is an example....

Mon Incline press / Barbell Row
Decline flye / Barbell Shrugs
Dips / Top deads

Tues Squats / Stiff leg DLT
Leg ext / Leg curl
Standing / seated calf raises

Wed off

Thur Barbell milli / chin ups
side lats / str8 arm pulldowns
rear lats / one arm dumb row

Fri Barbell curls / tricep ext
Hammer curls / close grip bench
rev curls / pushdowns

bout 2 - 3 sets per exercise, 6 - 10 reps. A good exercise I found for Lats are called Cobra Rows. Go to the cable station and grab one of the cables, get on your knees almost in the middle of the two weight stacks. now your gonna let your arm go up and over kinda like a side stretch. then pull it down sorta like a reverse side bend.
Looks good. When you say 'Barbell curls / tricep ext' are you saying to superset these? If so, 3 sets barbell curls, then 3 sets tricep ext.? Or, 1 set barbell curls, 1 set tricep ext., 1 set barbell curls, 1 set tricep ext., and so on til I reach my set range?

Also, I've seen some people doing Cobra Rows (now that I know what they are called) before and have been inclined to try them. Seem like they will hit the lats really well.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established

chest / Mid back

Shoulders / lats

biceps / triceps

quads / hams / calves

agreed

push - pull workouts are the way to go

:clap2:

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
What exactly are 'Top Deads'?

Also, when supersetting, do I move right to the supersetted exercise or is there any rest in between?

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
Top deads are deadlifts in a power rack, it starts at just below your knees rather than the floor.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Top deads are deadlifts in a power rack, it starts at just below your knees rather than the floor.
Ahh, ok cool. I associated them with rack deads, but just wanted to verify.

Are you saying to complete an exercise for 3 sets and then superset or doing an exercise for 1 set then supersetting and repeat?

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
Like do a set of incline then go straight over and do a set of barbell row then rest. And then do that 2 more times.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Like do a set of incline then go straight over and do a set of barbell row then rest. And then do that 2 more times.
Thought so, right on. Thanks for all your help man. Very excited to start this new routine.