Okay to train when still sore?

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I did squats on NYE Monday, and they are still kind of sore. I wanted to go in and do deads today, and since sumo deads use a lot of legs, is it okay to still work them even though they are still sore?

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
From personal experience, I find training through soreness a great way for busting platoes. When implemented periodically this really works for shocking the muscles to grow. The key word here is periodically. If you do it too often you don't allow enough time for supercompensation and recovery. For example, once every 4-6 weeks I'll hammer my legs for two days in a row. It is brutal :rant: but efficient !

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i agree w/dragonfly. good to do once in awhile.

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
I think it certainly depends on what you consider sore? A muscle does not have to be fully recoved before it can be trained again, in most cases all that does is allow the muscle to adapt and progress slows.. 48 hours is plenty of time for recovery..

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
The body will adapt to the demands you place on it. If you always give the muscle a ton of time to recover before training it again, that's how much time it will take. If you train it when it's sore, you're basically telling the body to hurry the hell up with the recovery because you're training more often.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Muscle requires less recovery time than the CNS does.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Ok, thanks. I did squats yesterday, so tomorrow, I may do some deads and bench. Then maybe 2-3 days later, I'll do squats again.