Hammer Inclines for upper inner chest?

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
What do you all think? I saw a vid with one of the pros trying to fill in his upper inner chest with a flat incline type Hammer Press, I think it was Gunther Sh????? I don't know how to spell it. Would putting the seat much lower with a close grip work for this? I would stop where the delts take over the rest of the movement.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
Well, the hammer strength goes in as you go up right? So as long as you finish with your hands close together and above your chest, then it should work

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is essentially no 'inner' and 'outter' chest so to speak that you can focus with lifts. Only upper and lower, and even that is some what minimal. Your pectoral muscles attach horizontally across your chest so you can only try to focus upper and lower, but not inner and outter. Hope this helps a bit.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Oh yea, I understand about the seperation between upper and lower chest. I was just thinking I could really fry the inner part of the upper pecs with this position and a short range of motion. I'll just fry the whole area and call it a day. Thanks guys, I'll post my findings here.

dontknowaboutme

dontknowaboutme

Awards
The clavicular pectoral can be isolated somewhat. But there is no such thing as an inner or outer portion of the pecs. If it were physiologically possible to build muscle like that (which is isn't) it would probably lead to a **** load of injuries. If this were possible, all kinds of crazy muscle shapes could be made.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
The clavicular pectoral can be isolated somewhat. But there is no such thing as an inner or outer portion of the pecs. If it were physiologically possible to build muscle like that (which is isn't) it would probably lead to a **** load of injuries. If this were possible, all kinds of crazy muscle shapes could be made.
I often read that it is impossible to isolate the upper chest.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Building a nice upper chest has quite a bit to do with genes actually, so some ppl just think doing differernt bp's such as incline/decline ect. is just a waste. Not trying to discourage anyone at all... just an opinion. But hey, **** genes, everyone has the natural potential to look great. :woohoo:

Git'r'dun

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
genes...of course.. but working a smaller muscle also has to do with the surrounding musculature. For example, if your anterior deltoids are overpowering in a pushing exercise, then you may not be able to isolate the upper pectorals.. as you may be hoping to do... I would say that proper isolation has alot to do with technique of the lift. . .A great way to feel some separation between the pectorals major and its superior portion is by executing some inclined flys... try a variety of different exercise motions and see what feels good for you....